PDA

View Full Version : Hazy, Hot and Humid?

VAevent
Jun. 18, 2010, 07:18 AM
I've entered a starter trial this weekend...and the weather prediction is for temps in the 90s with humidity. I'm riding at the lower levels, but am concerned about putting stress on my horse....not only from the running/jumping, but from the time she'll spend on the trailer.

Of course, I'll offer water frequently, but when is it too hot to compete?

Highflyer
Jun. 18, 2010, 07:36 AM
Depends on how well you and the horse handle heat. Have you ridden in the middle of the day in similar conditions and been okay? Is the horse good about drinking? I would definitely give electrolytes for the next couple of days, and bring lots of ice so you can sponge off with cold water. But my horse usually does better than me.

riderboy
Jun. 18, 2010, 08:23 AM
It was brutally hot at Spring Run last weekend. Electrolytes, fans, very short warmups and a couple of buckets of iced water splashed over them at the finish of XC helped. And you have to keep drinking too! We weren't pushing the boys either.

Eventer55
Jun. 18, 2010, 09:14 AM
I occassionally ride in the heat to see what it really feels like and I learn how to cope with it. You can install fans in your trailer and run them off the battery. Some trailer places can do this for you.

Remember to hose/ or bucket water on the horse then scrape it off. If you don't scrape it off, it acts like an insulator. Get between the hind legs and over the head.

Hold ice to his/her jugular if possible, if you think he's hot.

I fill a quart plastic container with Emergen C and water. Make yourself drink the whole thing during the day. This way you keep track of what you drink.

You should take your horse's normal temperature so you have a base line.

l think of more later.

BestHorses
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:18 AM
I fill a quart plastic container with Emergen C and water. Make yourself drink the whole thing during the day. This way you keep track of what you drink. Don't use Gatorade.

I'm curious, why no Gatorade?

pegasusmom
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:36 AM
Good article on Eventing Nation a short little while ago filed under "Random" or you can search the site under hydration. Covers the people end of things.

We always supplement with electrolytes in the summer, have one horse who will not eat them in his feed so he gets paste before competitions.

A good final rinse/cooler is water laced with rubbing alcohol or mineral ice, and make sure you sponge/scrape, sponge/scrape. You'd be amazed at how fast that cool water heats up on a hot equine body.

Baseline temp is a great idea, then follow it up with a temp right after a good work out so you have an idea if your horse radiates heat or holds it in. Our intermediate eventer runs a higher core temp and takes longer to cool out, the driving pony (admittedly there is a huge size difference) is a radiator and his core temp is lower after an equal work out. Learn whats normal for your horse.

How hot is too hot? That's one of those questions like to shoe or not to shoe, or what saddle should I buy? Every horse and every rider are different, and if you aren't comfortable with the heat, scratch and go home. Better to lose the entry fee than risk an accident.

Right on Target
Jun. 18, 2010, 12:01 PM
Just an FYI- we did a low level starter trial last weekend and I'd say that we definitely needed 7 to 10 gallons of water per horse between drinking and sponging with the heat.

These were TB's who both seemed to handle the heat and exertion very well.

Hollywood
Jun. 18, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'm doing a one day schooling HT this weekend too, with two horses, lower levels. The temps are supposed to be 90's + humidity... I think I am more worried about me than my horses - both TB's and seem to handle the heat just fine and are good drinkers.

Knowing there will be times when lessons, clinics, or shows are going on when the weather is miserably hot/humid, I generally ride my horses in the midddle of the day when the heat is the highest...this helps prepare me and them.

Try to keep yourself hydrated. For the horses, cold hose and fans. I am sure you will know if your horse is struggling or NQR, so just be willing to pull up or w/d.

Good luck!

Eventer55
Jun. 18, 2010, 01:44 PM
I'm curious, why no Gatorade?

Well, a friend of mine told me she read an article on it and it has a high sugar content which is not good for some people although you probably burn it off. I have 2 other friends that said they feel better if they drink something other than a drink with sugar. I can't find the article. . .

I can't find the article I read stating it's better to drink something without the high sugar content, so I'll revise my comment.:)

I like a 50% h2o and orange juice or other juice or Emergen C in a quart.
But, really anything that keeps you hydrated is good.

yellowbritches
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:05 PM
We're probably heading to the same event with a horse and rider. We plan on packing ice along to help cool the little mare out when she is done, but I'm not terribly concerned...she's in good shape, is often ridden during the heat of the day, and is a little bitty thing, so should cool herself rapidly (SO glad it is her at this event rather than one of the horses we had out last weekend...a very heavy draft cross who took FOREVER to cool out). Don't forget to put water on and scrape it off quickly, and repeat!

Lots of water for her, lots of water for the humans with her...I always tell the kids (but good for the adults to hear, too), that if you aren't running to the bathroom to pee with some regularity, you aren't drinking enough. I DO like a little Gatorade. Not really for the electrolytes (though I'm sure they help), but because sometimes I need a little something different to keep my wanting to drink, but other things are too sweet for my overheated taste buds.

What I have learned from cycling is to PRE-HYDRATE. Try to make sure you stay hydrated the day before and drink LOTS of water the night before...it keeps you from going into a hot day depleted.

Eat a good dinner, too, especially if you have a nervous stomach...I haven't been eating well during show day now that I've moved up to prelim, but I usually do ok if I eat a hearty, healthy dinner the night before with good protein and carbs. I can usually choke down some granola bars for breakfast and a piece of fruit if I start to get hungry before xc is perfect...the sweetness calms my stomach and gives me a little energy boost.

Don't do what I did last weekend when helping out and get sunburned! That does NOT make you feel good at the end of the day...dehydration, lack of quality food, and a sunburn to boot just sets you up for heat exhaustion!

I always do better taking care of myself when I'm riding than when I'm taking care of other riders! Good luck!

In_
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:24 PM
Kinesiologist/Exercise Scientist here: The issue with Gatorade is that it contains a *high* amount of sugar and salt. So if one is chugging Gatorades (plural emphasized) all day to 'stay hydrated,' he/she is consuming far more salt (electrolytes) and sugar than needed.

The general exercise/health community consensus is that Gatorade is okay - but drink 2x the water for every Gatorade. If that means you dilute the Gatorade with water - that’s fine. Or keep it full strength and force yourself to down water before/after.

In regards to your horse, if he/she will stand tied outside the trailer, I imagine he/she will be cooler. Offer water as much as possible. A few bites of watermelon, cantaloupe etc won't hurt either if your horse is not a big drinker. My first pony would not drink off the property until he was PAST dehydrated. Many a Pony Club rallies had two coolers - one for the children, and one full of watermelon for the stinkin' pony : ) (To be accurate, beautifully clean with a TRESemme-commercial worthy tail - it was Pony Club, after all)

yellowbritches
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:28 PM
Kinesiologist/Exercise Scientist here: The issue with Gatorade is that it contains a *high* amount of sugar and salt. So if one is chugging Gatorades (plural emphasized) all day to 'stay hydrated,' he/she is consuming far more salt (electrolytes) and sugar than needed.

The general exercise/health community consensus is that Gatorade is okay - but drink 2x the water for every Gatorade. If that means you dilute the Gatorade with water - that’s fine. Or keep it full strength and force yourself to down water before/after.

In regards to your horse, if he/she will stand tied outside the trailer, I imagine he/she will be cooler. Offer water as much as possible. A few bites of watermelon, cantaloupe etc won't hurt either if your horse is not a big drinker. My first pony would not drink off the property until he was PAST dehydrated. Many a Pony Club rallies had two coolers - one for the children, and one full of watermelon for the stinkin' pony : ) (To be accurate, beautifully clean with a TRESemme-commercial worthy tail - it was Pony Club, after all)
Agree on the Gatorade (drink lots of water and just a little Gatorade).

Don't agree on the horses outside the trailer (though, it probably depends on the trailer). Our trailer is VERY cool and gets good cross ventilation...instead of the horses standing out in the sun, they stand in the shade of the trailer and are MUCH happier like that.

ClassAction
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:34 PM
I like plain water with lime slices in it. Or lemon, depending on my mood. Makes me feel like I'm getting some yummy drink but also getting allll the water the body needs.

And if you suck on lemon slices before you mount up your mouth won't get as dry.

In_
Jun. 18, 2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks YellowBritches for triggering additional thought.

A 2 horse bumper-pull in direct sunlight without doors open, IMHO, may be more of an oven than standing outside.

However - a 2+ slantload or big old gooseneck with proper cross ventilation probably would be cooler. Absolutely agree with YellowBritchese.

Forgive me!

yellowbritches
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks YellowBritches for triggering additional thought.

A 2 horse bumper-pull in direct sunlight without doors open, IMHO, may be more of an oven than standing outside.

However - a 2+ slantload or big old gooseneck with proper cross ventilation probably would be cooler. Absolutely agree with YellowBritchese.

Forgive me!
Yep. One of our clients has a little slantload that the only way to keep horses in it is to close all the doors. There are no people doors in it, so you can't leave those open. No way would I even leave a horse standing in it on a hot day. But our big 4/5 horse head to head is very airy, and we can leave the ramp (or both ramps) down and it is drastically cooler inside. Hell, we've been known to set up the chairs in the middle and hang with the critters!