PDA

View Full Version : How popular are the ponies?

time fault
Jun. 18, 2010, 03:56 AM
Found a rider for the horses and she happens to be an eventer. We were talking about the super pony who no one wants to look at. Tons of catch rides but no one coming back. He's dead broke 14yo large quarter pony who still jumps 3'6" and loves it. I've been mostly looking at the hunter people but the new rider asked me if I ever thought about the eventers. She told me they love the ponies.

Only problem I see is if I say yeah this pony can do the rated pony division, dressage, high pony jumpers and eventing, they are not going to see a versatile pony. They are going to see a jack of all trades and master of none. Why doesn't he have just one job? But really this pony can do anything from games to cross country.

Are they really as popular as my rider says?

graytbmare
Jun. 18, 2010, 05:29 AM
If he is a safe, sane little guy with some nice springs he would be great in eventing. I would try to market him towards the pony club type kid where his being a jack-of-all-trades would be a huge asset. The pony club where I live is always looking for something that can do a bit of everything. And they have some super ballsy little riders who would put his scope to good use!

time fault
Jun. 18, 2010, 05:27 PM
Good to know! I know he would love the challenge.

Miss Kat
Jun. 18, 2010, 05:33 PM
I absolutely agree that you should market him to pony clubbers. We absolutely love when our horses can do everything (with a touch of focus on eventing, of course). He sounds like he'd be a fantastic mount for a PC kid.

Noctis
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:07 PM
I love the ponies! I event a 13.3hh pony (CoTH's own $700 Pony) and LOVE it. I prefer a petite ride!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:33 PM
Price range may be a key factor here. While certainly some eventers pay serious money for some horses, I think the number of event ponies commanding any given price range pales beside the number of hunter ponies who sell for X...

Of course, not everyone is marketing for top dollar, and lots of eventers are having tons of fun on shorter equines, or would be if they knew what they were missing!!

Good luck!!!

archieflies
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:39 PM
After how much fun I had on my little pony tonight, I'd say I want 10 more of them... but Hubby would not be happy.

I agree with the above comment- you're not going to get nearly the $ for her that you're going to get in hunterland; but, then, if she's not selling in hunterland, that doesn't really matter, does it? :)

And while PC might be a great place for her, there's sure alot of us adults that have blasts on ponies too!!

time fault
Jun. 19, 2010, 02:47 AM
Well we are being reasonable. He could be your typical top dollar hunter pony as broke and seasoned as he is, but the economy the way that it is, we are actively looking for free lease situations. He just wants to fly and I think we really got it with this new rider for as long as she wants to ride him or when he finally moves.

I never thought of the adults! He can totally carry that and give them the feel of a horse because he can really open up his stride.

teddygirl
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:00 AM
I know a number of small adults who event (and do well) with ponies and love them. A free lease should be no problem. Adults who event are often looking for a safe companion who won't overpower them, and a pony can be perfect. And Pony Clubbers are always looking for a free lease on a great pony

sch1star
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:26 AM
Totally agree about the PCers...but I'm an adult and I love my pony!

True that a 14yo pony (altho so many ponies can go forever plus one year) is not going to command top dollar in the event world. But you could find a super fun home for him. He sounds like a great seat of your pants pony and eventers love that type!

VicariousRider
Jun. 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
I agree that you will need to consider what you are willing to get for him before you get invested in having him event. Keep in mind that there are no pony divisions in rated eventing. Therefore, the only question is: can they get the job done and can you locate a buyer (either a small adult or a child) who is looking for an eventing pony.

I have been active in both disciplines and it is very clear that overall prices for eventers are generally much lower than in h/j land. Whereas a nice, broke large could easily fetch $100K on the A-circuit, I have never heard of an eventing pony fetcing anywhere near that (although someone may correct me here). Rather, you will probably get much less than that even if he is a demonstrated novice/training packer who is flashy enough (a nice enough mover, etc.) in the dressage to do well against the horses. You will probably have to demonstrate that with consistent top 10 finishes at USEA rated events. If he has the potential to move up to Prelim you will likely get more.

You also have to factor in the prominence of the local eventing community to which you are marketing the pony. If you live in the mid atlantic or Virginia or SC, you will have a bigger and more competitive group of people to market to. Also, the economy has effected eventing just an much as any other horse sport so keep in mind that everyone is looking for a bargain right now or not looking at all. See if your new rider has any potential buyers in mind or connections that you could use to get him seen. However, you might have to give her a commission if she really facilitates the sale.

It all really depends on what you are willing to invest in him to get him eventing and what you were expecting to get for him in the H/J world. However, you are right IMO to consider the pony's natural aptitudes and try to get him into a sport where he can excel.

Good luck with you pony! It sounds like you have found a great rider for him so that is a fantastic start.

LaraNSpeedy
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:02 PM
Well, I have sold a lot of horses for various organizations and though I am all for believing a 14 year old is NOT an old horse - usually buyers are not looking for a horse to own a few years only. And a 14 year old then is likely to be 18 when it comes time to move up which means - the horse is totally ridable then and such but likely not at 3'6" - YES there were several horses at Rolex who were 18.... Just realistically. But frankly, that is in hunters, jumpers and eventing.... so if you market him as also able to event and to the event people because no one is taking him in HJ - then you may find a fit.

I DO see more adults riding smaller horses in eventing than I see in HJ. I have two event horses - one is a sporthorse 16.2 hands and 8 years old and the other is a 14.1 hand 7 year old. I love them both but I thoroughly enjoy bringing the pony along. He has as much jump as the bigger guy.

time fault
Jun. 20, 2010, 01:01 AM
Well I am just amazed that he has so much energy for his age and as much scope jumping. I greatly attribute it to him not being run down when he was younger and well campaigned. Had a girl catch ride him and this is what they did:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs340.ash1/29146_1465200519325_1512885309_1189344_3752210_n.j pg

I've had to advise the catch riders that they can not spend a lot of time hacking him because they are going to need their energy for jumping him. I think this new rider is a really good fit, but she is an ammy so she is not going to be facilitating any sales LOL. However I am going to keep the horses for as long as I can because she's pretty good!