PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Oaks HT

Cody
Jun. 17, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hunter Oaks HT is open in area 4. This year all phases will be held at Hunter Oaks Farm. They have also added and IP, P and starter divisions. Currently they are the ONLY horse trials in Central IL that is offering prelim. There is a competitor's party on Saturday night as well.

I look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones there!

Cody

Cody
Jul. 23, 2010, 10:29 AM
The grounds are beautiful....Steve the footing man has done and is still doing a great job out there. The weather is nice, though a bit warm, no humidity like FL has.

I forgot to add, wine tasting tomorrow afternoon!

Sandy & Tom really go all out and hopefully everyone will appreciate that. They are wonderful organizers!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and the show starting.

So who's coming?

BBowen
Jul. 23, 2010, 01:17 PM
Cody, sounds great. Tom and Sandy really make it special for the competitors. Have several friends that will be competing. Wish them all luck and safe travels. I know you will have a great time. Hugs.

CatchMeIfUCan
Jul. 23, 2010, 01:19 PM
I will be there grooming for my friend in the PR division! I just sold my horse, and he will also be there with his new owner in TR! I never competed at HO unfortunately so I am excited to finally see the show grounds!

Good luck to everyone!

aurorag16
Jul. 23, 2010, 01:26 PM
I have never been to HO, but I will be there this weekend braiding and helping out friends. Looking forward to a fun weekend.

P.S. I have heard that the competitor parties are some of the best around!

RegentLion
Jul. 23, 2010, 01:37 PM
On our way right now. Literally!!!

Carried Away
Jul. 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
looks like the XC caused some problems-I think it's their first year running Prelim. live scores are on evententries.com. Does anyone know if they got a lot of rain like we did up in Chicago last night?

Gry2Yng
Jul. 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
I wish I knew WHAT was going on. Lot of RF at P and T. Someone who is there needs to check in.

flutie1
Jul. 24, 2010, 05:15 PM
I sent an e mail to Cody who is doing scoring, but to date no response. I expect she's swamped. P and T looked like battlefields!

Gry2Yng
Jul. 24, 2010, 05:32 PM
Looks like N is doing a *bit* better.

RegentLion
Jul. 24, 2010, 08:47 PM
Rain accumulation was minimal.

My horse is very experienced with a previous rider and he dumped me at the novice ditch after an otherwise perfect ride. Grrrrr! A few people had issues with this question as well. He literally jumped into the water too. I saw and heard of other horses doing the same-- leaping in rather than going smoothly in.

I am not entirely sure of the issues at training or preliminary but the word in the barn is that they were a little stiff.

I'm bummed because I can't show jump tomorrow!

carrigansy
Jul. 24, 2010, 09:43 PM
The courses at Hunter Oaks were very straight forward, good gallopy type of courses. This stands for the Prelim. course as well. There were a lot of green horses and a lot of green riders. These John Williams courses were extremely straight forward-if anything, a bit soft. I think it's nice to have these types of opportunities available in this area.

Threeday33
Jul. 25, 2010, 08:12 PM
The only complaint I had about the prelim course was that the 1/2 coffin had no option. It was a ditch 1 stride to a narrow. If you had a run out at the narrow, there was no way to get to just the narrow so you had to go back and jump both elements. 20/20 hindsight, they should have had an option there. Even though it was a fair question, it was quite early on the course and I know a few ended their weekends there. I thought the prelim course was very fair otherwise with a lot of good gallop fences, 2 fair corners, and multiple options at the first water (the direct route was tough, but doable). I didn't walk the training course, but heard it was the toughest for the level of all of the courses. The novice course was very straightforward, but I know the water and 1/2 coffin caused trouble for some. The BN shared a lot of the N course and had 2 waters, so it caused some trouble as well. I think they put on a very nice event and our group will go back next year!

Halfhalt08
Jul. 26, 2010, 09:39 AM
The courses at Hunter Oaks were very straight forward, good gallopy type of courses. This stands for the Prelim. course as well. There were a lot of green horses and a lot of green riders. These John Williams courses were extremely straight forward-if anything, a bit soft. I think it's nice to have these types of opportunities available in this area.

I think this is quite a stretch as there were plenty of experienced pairs that had trouble at both Training and Prelim. The courses were large and technical. I am not going to say unfair but they should have not been listed as average for the level. Needless to say, I saw just about every trainer stay and school at the end of the event: Brad Hall, Bill Hoos, Kenny Dierks, Cathy Jones-Forsberg with tons of horses. What a great opportunity the Merciers gave!

The event was very well run despite the heat! Thank goodness for the generators and the fans in the barns.

ETA: I can't speak for the whole Prelim course, however the first water was technical, as was the big ditch to the skinny early in the course and the bank up at the end of the course (which seemed to ride nicely). The training seemed to claim quite a few experienced pairs and walking the course it seemed more difficult than average. Not saying they were bad courses, just challenging for the level in my opinion and those I came with.

Halfhalt08
Jul. 26, 2010, 09:46 AM
Rain accumulation was minimal.

My horse is very experienced with a previous rider and he dumped me at the novice ditch after an otherwise perfect ride. Grrrrr! A few people had issues with this question as well. He literally jumped into the water too. I saw and heard of other horses doing the same-- leaping in rather than going smoothly in.

I am not entirely sure of the issues at training or preliminary but the word in the barn is that they were a little stiff.

I'm bummed because I can't show jump tomorrow!

Glad you were able to stay and school yesterday...your horse is very talented even if he was a bit excited! Hope you guys had a safe drive home.

CatchMeIfUCan
Jul. 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
I groomed for a Prelim rider. When I walked the Prelim course, it looked very do-able. I agree that there should have been an option at the half coffin 1-stride at #7. The fences were overall very big, but I didn't think it was too technical. There was definitely room to gallop. The water was bright blue and so some horses looked at that. I saw a couple of people go through the water and almost all of them had stops. The horse either looked hard at the water, or they did not line up accurately and with enough impulsion to jump the skinny coming out. I would not fault the design for that fence. It was my rider's 3rd prelim on her self-made horse and aside from a drive-by at said skinny in water that was totally her fault, she skipped over the rest of the course.

RegentLion
Jul. 26, 2010, 04:05 PM
Glad you were able to stay and school yesterday...your horse is very talented even if he was a bit excited! Hope you guys had a safe drive home.

Thanks! He definitely has his moments (both good and bad) and I had an amazing weekend even though I fell at the d*** ditch! :lol:

HUGE THANKS to the owners of the farm for allowing schooling after the event! It was so valuable for me to figure out WHY I came off the ditch and how to fix it for the future. What a relief to know that it wasn't my horse's fault but rather how I rode the question.

We had a wonderful time although the drive was a bit hard on us (10 hours). I learned a lot about my horse and myself this weekend.

As far as the Novice course rode, the parts that I got to on course and while schooling rode really really nicely. :)

RegentLion
Jul. 26, 2010, 04:07 PM
Halfhalt08--Just figured out who you are!

LOVE YOUR HORSE! She's gorgeous. :)

Do you have plans for the rest of the season?

Halfhalt08
Jul. 26, 2010, 05:49 PM
Halfhalt08--Just figured out who you are!

LOVE YOUR HORSE! She's gorgeous. :)

Do you have plans for the rest of the season?

Thanks Anna! Heading up to Richland in August, how about you? Hope your husband got some neat pictures of you schooling.

I couldn't agree more with learning about my horse and myself this past weekend. Why is it the events that don't go smoothly usually teach us the most?! I think that's what makes it rewarding in the end.

RegentLion
Jul. 26, 2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks Anna! Heading up to Richland in August, how about you? Hope your husband got some neat pictures of you schooling.

I couldn't agree more with learning about my horse and myself this past weekend. Why is it the events that don't go smoothly usually teach us the most?! I think that's what makes it rewarding in the end.

So true! I came away from the weekend feeling positive even tho we did not complete. I feel more prepared now for my next two events- Hunter's Run and Richland Park.

I actually have only seen a few pics and they looked good!!! I'll let you know if he got any of you. :-)