PDA

View Full Version : Are we making progress?

paintmare
Jun. 17, 2010, 09:43 PM
Well, hubby took a few videos of my lesson today, unfortunately the one I'd like to show is too long for youtube. But if you have any suggestions feel free to give advice, critique. We're working hard and this is her first lesson since she was lame for a week, so we're both a bit stiff. We're trying hard to get ready for dressage, which is really my only worry about a HT. Mare takes good care of me over fences. Shooting for our first HT on August 28th!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4GKhtUDV7o (Probably skip to 1:10, first minute is just chatting and getting mare into frame)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeW6zY_16MA

These are short videos from the end of April so you can see the difference of before the lessons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IA2AUeNS6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDSFEH2khfo

BigRuss1996
Jun. 17, 2010, 09:55 PM
In watching all the tapes You and your horse have made nice progress! I also love your horse...I have a soft spot for paints ; )
My only advice would be to try to bring your upper body back more and lift your hands by bending your elbows more. You tend to want to ride with your hands down in your lap (well technically on the horses neck) ...this makes you lean forward. Otherwise I think your doing great and your horse shows alot of promise! Congrats !

TB_eventer
Jun. 17, 2010, 10:01 PM
You've definitely made progress! Good job!

BigRuss's advice is great:

My only advice would be to try to bring your upper body and back more and lift your hands by bending your elbows more. You tend to want to ride with your hands down in your lap (well technical on the horses neck) ...this makes you lean forward. Otherwise I think your doing great and your horse shows alot of promise! Congrats !

That and a more consistent outside rein, and you'll be winning everything! :cool: Nice job!

Jun. 18, 2010, 03:43 AM
Let me watch it and will give you some feedback over it!

paintmare
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the advice so far! I'll try hard to sit up straighter and lift my hands. I learned a lot of bad habits riding at the APHA shows, lol. The only down side is she had a chiropractic adjustment and besides my lesson, he told me to ride in two point until the 23rd, so I'll have to wait to practice until then!

BigRuss1996
Jun. 18, 2010, 05:58 PM
Ah...so a good piece of homework for you is to practice riding in two point without depending on your hands for balance. Use your legs and upper body don't let yourself rest your hands on the neck make yourself carry your hands and keep the weight over your stirrups and in your heels.

Thanks for the advice so far! I'll try hard to sit up straighter and lift my hands. I learned a lot of bad habits riding at the APHA shows, lol. The only down side is she had a chiropractic adjustment and besides my lesson, he told me to ride in two point until the 23rd, so I'll have to wait to practice until then!

Xctrygirl
Jun. 18, 2010, 08:59 PM
Ah...so a good piece of homework for you is to practice riding in two point without depending on your hands for balance. Use your legs and upper body don't let yourself rest your hands on the neck make yourself carry your hands and keep the weight over your stirrups and in your heels.

Damn, I still have trouble doing this. Why is it the most important stuff takes a while to get a grasp on. :-)

~Emily

paintmare
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:21 PM
Well I didn't get to practice my trot set in two point today, didn't ride at all, lol. Was going to trailer to the local horse trails, crank on the trailer jack broke right off, so now that has to be taken in to the welder! So BO let me borrow hers, as soon as I pulled the trailer up and loaded my mare, go to put the truck in drive, it shuts off! So I spent about 6 hours at the barn today, and none of that time riding, lol. Think the fuel pump went on the truck.

ANYWAYS. I uploaded my longer video, if you're bored feel free to watch and critique more. Just keep in mind mare had her chiro appointment the day before so a lot more stiff than usual, so don't be harsh on her, just me. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE5NJhT45ug

BigRuss1996
Jun. 19, 2010, 08:14 AM
I'm not seeing where she is stiff or sore...though usually good to give them the day off the day they get adjusted just to let things settle and I always just go for a nice quiet hack the day after thenback to regular work.
Again as I mentioned before with your hands being too low and leaning forward. Also maybe let your stirrups out one hole and be careful you don't let your reins get too long. You always want to maintain the connection but without pulling. Another thing I noticed is that your horse is built ever so slightly downhill these horses you want to always ride up and into the bridle. It can be a little harder then a horse who is built uphill naturally but not impossible. I notice you pulling her head down alot and you don't want to do that you will just encourage her to go more on her forehand. Horses motors are in the back and the front is mostly steering and balance... therefore always remember you need to be riding the hind end not their head and shoulders. What can help with some horses is to ride them a little more foreward in the beginning just to get the motor going (say the first 5 or 10 minutes in more medium trot ) and then let them settle back into your working trot. Your trot work is good but it needs more gas...she isn't truely going forward.
One thing I might suggest for your circle work is to make sure you don't overbend her. When they get overbent the shoulders tend to fall in and then you lose the connection.