PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Horse Park - barn preference?

BigMick
Jun. 17, 2010, 10:31 PM
I'm filling out my entry for Penny Oaks and wondering which barn I should request on the stabling form.

It's been awhile since I've been up there and typically stabled in either Barn J facing K or Barn K facing J (the big aisle).

This time, I was thinking Barn I facing the road might be nice. Anyone know if you can pull a trailer down that side of the barn? or do you have to walk your stuff to that side?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Will the new barn be done by then?

Complex map:

http://www.jcpark.org/hhp/map.html

TIA!

bigbaytb
Jun. 17, 2010, 11:34 PM
in general, i don't think you can request a barn..usually who you want to stable with and they juggle from there.

some trailers can go between j and k for loading/unloading

a chainlink fence separates barn I from the road. a better bet would be barn k facing south.

BigMick
Jun. 18, 2010, 08:52 AM
Why south-facing? Is there a better breeze?

As far as not being able to request a specific barn, I do this at every event I usually go to and typically they do their best. It never hurts to ask!

deltawave
Jun. 18, 2010, 08:58 AM
Not even close to making my list of things to worry about. :)

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 18, 2010, 09:14 AM
You can not drive a trailer between barn I and the road. MAYBE you could if you felt like moving all the buckets for manure and all the trash cans and if you have a 10 ft trailer (like I do!)... otherwise.... there's no way.

I don't usually care which BARN, I usually care about how close to the WATER I am. Just a suggestion. :D

BigMick
Jun. 18, 2010, 09:27 AM
Deltawave, I'm not really worried about it per se; just looking for suggestions that might make it a little bit better. For example, someone here on COTH suggested we request permanent stabling at Greater Dayton and we did. Sure enough they put us in permanent stabling and it was really nice compared to the tents. When we picked up our packets and got our stall assignments the sec'y even commented that she gave us those stalls because we asked!

At KHP, we always request east facing stalls so we don't cook in the afternoon sun. At MayDaze the people across from us were hanging tarps and doing whatever they could to block themselves from it. We were enjoying a cold one in the shade.

What quiterandom1 suggests about stabling close to the water is a great tip. I had forgotten that the water is at one end and one may end up hiking pretty far with some buckets.

bigbaytb
Jun. 18, 2010, 03:57 PM
I mentioned barn K facing south per your request on unloading....if there are no trailers already parked close by, there is plenty of room to pull a trailer up and unpack...all depends when you get there. some people at that barn will pull up at an appropriate distance, and drop their trailer right there (it's part of the gravel trailer parking area)

deltawave
Jun. 18, 2010, 06:19 PM
If I have a really good reason to ask for a certain arrangement, I sure will. Like if I had a stallion I'd ask for permanent vs. tent stabling, if my horse were 17.3hh I'd make that clear, and if I had a big horse van I'd ask for easy access, etc. "I want the best stalls"--nah, I'm happy to just take my chances most of the time. I don't like to make organizer/secretary jobs any harder than they already are. :)

pony grandma
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:14 PM
We were stabled in the older Barn B in May for a dressage show and my husband pointed out the asbestos cement boards and the acoustic tiles up above that were also asbestos. I think that the two older barns A and B, closest to the dressage arenas were former barrack buildings (?).

LAZ
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:24 PM
The barns on the east side of the dividing road are bigger at 12 x 12, B & C barns (Dunn Arena & these two barns are left over structures from WWII) are 10 x 12's with half doors, and the barns on the west side of the road (which were added in the 90's) are 10 x 10's.

Barn A faces the dressage rings.
Barns B & C are closest to the bathrooms and restaurant. The water is at the west end of the east barns and the east end of the west barns.

Hope that helps.