See next post.

[This message was edited by Erin on Feb. 09, 2004 at 10:23 PM.]

Freebird!
Feb. 1, 2004, 06:49 PM
See next post.

[This message was edited by Erin on Feb. 09, 2004 at 10:23 PM.]

Freebird!
Feb. 6, 2004, 07:15 PM
Ok, I am just having to cut and paste the chat, since my parents computer is acting up, but here is the chat. We had a lot of fun :-) For those of you who didn't get to chat, we will try to do this again real soon, and if you didn;t get an invite, sorry but again, this computer is not happy tonight, grrrrrr.

You have just entered room "Lendon Chat."
Parade1974 has entered the room.
Freebird TMH: sorry - my parents computer is totally wigging out
GRAYDRESGE: Well, you're here!
Parade1974: I made it. Hi!
CHdomino has entered the room.
FoxGold has entered the room.
GRAYDRESGE: Hey, everyone. Please keep in mind that I cannot answer "Dear Abby" questions -- my horse has this problem, what should I do? I would need to see you and your horse
HalfpassHorse has entered the room.
HalfpassHorse: Hey everyone
GRAYDRESGE: Also I apologize. I am not a speedy typist
GRAYDRESGE: cannot read the yellow writing -- sorry
HalfpassHorse: This better?
GRAYDRESGE: much
GRAYDRESGE: someone want to start??
GRAYDRESGE: some brave soul?
HalfpassHorse: What is this?
Freebird TMH: this is teh Lendon Gray chat
NYBredMare has entered the room.
HalfpassHorse: What's the topic? Dressage? ;-)
GRAYDRESGE: well, we coul dtalk about Greek and Latin, my college major!
HalfpassHorse: lol
HalfpassHorse: no thanx ;-)
Freebird TMH: ok Parade - how bout you start
NYBredMare: not my field, I'll lurk:-D I know more on racing that piaffe-ing
Freebird TMH: I'll pick on you since I know you
Parade1974: Thanks!
Parade1974: :-)
GRAYDRESGE: nybred are you from NY
Parade1974: OK, basic simple stuff. Since I don't know much about dressage.
NYBredMare: What are the best ways to use dressage in preparing OTTB's for the hunter ring?
NYBredMare: yes, Albany area
GRAYDRESGE: How many hours do we have?
HalfpassHorse: lol
GRAYDRESGE: If you think of Dressage as just training
NYBredMare: my question covers my two fields
GRAYDRESGE: or as I think if it developing th ecommunication and cooperation so that you can do anything with your horse
Parade1974: That is what I want to learn myself.
GRAYDRESGE: you first have to develop a common language with the OTTB
NYBredMare: I was giving basic "dressage" as a beginner, prior to learing to jump
GRAYDRESGE: sometimes this means starting on th eground with voice commands, then the lunge, then the same voice under saddle
GRAYDRESGE: then just have patience and comon sense
rockyandmolly has entered the room.
GRAYDRESGE: a beginner shoul do EVERYTHING possible to ride a horse that knows more than she does
GRAYDRESGE: I believe that one of the partnership must be the teacher
HalfpassHorse: I totally agree, riding schoolmasters was the best thing for my riding.
GRAYDRESGE: first it's the horse then the rider becomes the trainer later
NYBredMare: I was lucky to learn on very experienced horses but that was 30 years ago when "dressage" was pretty out of vogue in the hunter world
GRAYDRESGE: otherwise it's what I call the blind leading the crippled
CHdomino: what are some good basic exercises that would benefit horses in any discipline? i mainly do hunters, but my flat work always needs a ton of work.
GRAYDRESGE: I wish Dressage would become more in vogue in the hunter world
Freebird TMH: oh me too
GRAYDRESGE: I think the most unused exercises are TRANSITIONS
Freebird TMH: I had to sneak off for my dressage lessons, when I boarded at a hunter barn
NYBredMare: tell judges to pin more "engaged" horses...;-)
GRAYDRESGE: NO ONE does enough transitions
Parade1974: I am between disciplines, so I am looking in to them all myself.
GRAYDRESGE: I have one of the top working hunters in the US in my stable
Freebird TMH: (oh, and this chat was supposed to be more orgonized, but my sone isnt asleep, so I am running back and forth, so sorry all)
HalfpassHorse: Lol, it's ok Freebird :-)
NYBredMare: I ride at a jumper barn now and they use more dressage
GRAYDRESGE: after a summer of his owner who is a basic rider doing the most basic DR which involved nay transitions
HalfpassHorse: should we all introduce ourselves?
GRAYDRESGE: he started winning th ehack classes for the first time
GRAYDRESGE: after a year they moved him to Conformation because he was so well muscled
NYBredMare: Saratoga has quite a bit of dressage but I don't know any one in the field, I'd like to try a few lssons on a schoolmaster
GRAYDRESGE: I would love for you to introduce yourselves -- you know who I am!
FoxGold: Do you think there is (or is going to be) a viable market for 'sport ponies' in the U.S.? And is a 'sport pony' only marketable if it's something like a mini Warmblood (German Riding Ponies & the like)?
HalfpassHorse: I would love that FoxGold!
GRAYDRESGE: WOW my favorite subject
GRAYDRESGE: Ponies will grow -- every other country has them
GRAYDRESGE: I was just in New Zealand where they had the MOST gorgeous ponies
HalfpassHorse: Alright, my name is Alyssa and I'm a 17 year old from Canada. I ride a 15hh Arab/QH named Maverick, who I'm currently schooling at 4th level.
FoxGold: A few of us have been having a fascinating discussion on crossing Spanish Mustangs (pretty baroque in type) with other pony breeds - one poster in particular wants to market them to the dressage world.
GRAYDRESGE: The only reason we need the European ponies now is you can get them all trained
FoxGold: It just seems that the US is just getting clued into the fact that adults can ride ponies and 'honies'
GRAYDRESGE: there are wonderful American ponies we just have to train them to be suitable for kids to learn DR on
GRAYDRESGE: I have a gorgeous medium pony right now who was a super humter pony
CHdomino: I am Katherine. I am a freshman at St Andrews Presby College. I ride on the team here. I do the hunters, jumpers, and eq, and I am always looking for ways to improve my riding.
NYBredMare: my trainers son is/was a top pony jumper rider
GRAYDRESGE: he is thriving with the dressage work
FoxGold: I'm Maggie. I used to be a Latin major at Sweet Briar College in VA - I transferred to Mary Washington (also in VA) - not currently riding - but I have done hunters, eventing, and would love to get back into racehorses.
FoxGold: Yes, I've seen a few wonderful dressage ponies
HalfpassHorse: I almost wish Maverick was just a couple inches shorter! He'd be the cutest pony ;-)
GRAYDRESGE: I wish more adults, my clients included would acknowledge that it is more fun on something their size
rockyandmolly: I am Ellen and I ride a 15.2 h Dutch mare. I am a big fan and just finished reading your book, Lessons with Lendon. Can you write a sequel to it???:-D
GRAYDRESGE: Maggie, I graduated from Sweet Briar!
CHdomino: oh how I wish I still fit on ponies:-)
Parade1974: I'm Ashlee. I have a 17h TB mare. Tradionally I pleasure ride, love eventing but has a horse with issues. :-)
FoxGold: Yes, I thought you were an alumna!
NYBredMare: I'm Jeanne aka Linny on COTH. Horseless but back to riding after a 7 year break. I ride with Betsy Worthington in Averill Park NY
Parade1974: My mare is my size. I think I make her look normal instead of 17h.
GRAYDRESGE: Anyone want to try another ?
Freebird TMH: I have one
GRAYDRESGE: ok
Freebird TMH: we have been talking about "Honies" on COTH
GRAYDRESGE: is that a small horse?
Freebird TMH: and some suggested that we should have a division fro teh 14.2 - 15.2 horses
GRAYDRESGE: they do that in Europe
Freebird TMH: like they do in some shows in Europe
GRAYDRESGE: do we have enough for that
mooncowblu has entered the room.
Freebird TMH: how do you feel about doing that here in teh us
Freebird TMH: and how coudl we go about doing that
GRAYDRESGE: Do not tell me that the little guys can't compete with the big guys though
Freebird TMH: one COTH poster said how she worried that by breeding sport ponies - by mixing in WB's - we might get a generation of Honies
HalfpassHorse: Free: are you talking about the hunters? or dressage?
rockyandmolly: anything below 15.21/2 is a reject in the warmblood registries
GRAYDRESGE: You would have to go through US Equestrian -- they make all th erules
GRAYDRESGE: what's wrong with homies?
Freebird TMH: oh I love the little guys
Freebird TMH: I have a 14.3 hand TB filly
GRAYDRESGE: they are the perfect size for kids graduating from ponies and most ladies
HalfpassHorse: I love my little horse, he's got a great work ethic and will do anything for me.
Freebird TMH: and I love her
NYBredMare: small horses are a tough sell in the world of hunters
FoxGold: I think a lot of people feel like they're worthless - in hunters, at least - and this goes back to getting adults to realize that those of us who are challenged in the height departments CAN ride ponies!
GRAYDRESGE: they are sounder, cheaper to feed, easier to handle as a rule
Freebird TMH: but I am trying to sell her as a dressage horse, and there just isnt the intrest
GRAYDRESGE: don't the hunters have a small division?
rockyandmolly: I got my mare at a huge discount due to her small size
rockyandmolly: the breeder couldn't sell her
Freebird TMH: I get so tired of seeing itty bitty riders on big horses
CHdomino: the hunters sort of have a small division
Freebird TMH: the go from the ponies to the 17 hand WB's
FoxGold: not an inbetween division, not really
Freebird TMH: for the Jr's
CHdomino: they have a small division at some VA shows
CHdomino: but not many
Freebird TMH: adults should have something as well
FoxGold: Right, but everyone wants a small junior that's right on the line
rockyandmolly: I agree
FoxGold: 'to make the step'
NYBredMare: I'm 5'8 with a looooong leg and currently ride a 15.2+ horse and fit him fine. I have a short body and he matches me with a short neck.
FoxGold: Yes, NYBred - a lot is how they take up your leg
GRAYDRESGE: Another ?
HalfpassHorse: I have a question. How can a 17 year old dressage rider without funds make it as a trainer? I know what I want to do, but I'm not sure which path I should take.
GRAYDRESGE: that can be tough.
GRAYDRESGE: I personally think the working student route is the only way
GRAYDRESGE: if you don't have the $ to buy your own horses to ride
GRAYDRESGE: I encourage all young people to get the best education
Freebird TMH: I learned soo much as a working student in Ct
GRAYDRESGE: there are a lot of average trainers out there barely scraping by
HalfpassHorse: That's what I figured. How should I find a place to do a working student at? I don't have many "connections"
GRAYDRESGE: get a good job and keep horses as a hobby!
Freebird TMH: Lendo, how did you start out?
GRAYDRESGE: just write anyone you might be interested in working with
Freebird TMH: Lendon - sorry for the typo
HalfpassHorse: Do you take working students ;-)
GRAYDRESGE: the worst thing that happens is they say no
CHdomino: that is what i am currently doing, calling different barns looking for working student positions this summer
HalfpassHorse: That's true. lol
GRAYDRESGE: I take them -- but most of mine stay for several years so I don't have vacancies so often
rockyandmolly: Do you have any plans for a sequel to your Lessons with Lendon, like Part 2?
GRAYDRESGE: I cannot take a WS with a horse unless they can pay board
GRAYDRESGE: If Lessons sells well, yes.
rockyandmolly: ok, I will make all my friends buy it :-D!
GRAYDRESGE: THANKS!
HalfpassHorse: do you think you'll have a vacancy soon? ;-)
GRAYDRESGE: probably not til fall at the earliest
GRAYDRESGE: I have one girl from Argentina who may not be able to renew her visa again
NYBredMare: I asked "Mr NYBred" for copies of 101 Jumping Exercises and "Lessons" for Val-Day.
GRAYDRESGE: good luck!
NYBredMare: last year I got a garbage disposer for the sink so I consider this a step in the right direction...
HalfpassHorse: Lendon, hmm... I'd really love to work with you, especially with the types of horses you have worked with. Can I email you for more information?
GRAYDRESGE: of course -- please do
rockyandmolly: HalfPassHorse, I know Verne Batchelder is looking for a WS, if you IM I can give you his info
Parade1974: OK, I have a question.
GRAYDRESGE: go for it
Parade1974: OK, I am looking for a dressage trainer because I think that is all that will help me with my horse.
Parade1974: I know her problems and mine.
evntualevnter has entered the room.
GRAYDRESGE: what kind of riding do you do?
Parade1974: But to make things simple, she is a klutz and on the forehand horribly, and drops her inside shoulder.
Parade1974: Used to do eventing, but my mare is not good for it, to unbalanced.
Parade1974: Hence our problem.
Parade1974: I would like to know some good excercises I can do until I find a trainer to help try and get her on her backend.
GRAYDRESGE: for a trainer make sure that self carriage is important
Parade1974: OFF her back ernd.
GRAYDRESGE: TRANSITIONS !!
GRAYDRESGE: make sure she is not finding balance on your hands --
Parade1974: oh good greif, I still can't type. I meant off her front end.
GRAYDRESGE: get her to answer the voice -- whoa-- if she is
Freebird TMH: its ok Parade - I stil loff you
Parade1974: :-) Thanks Free....
GRAYDRESGE: on a large circle do a transition at 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock
GRAYDRESGE: that often
GRAYDRESGE: one of my favorite exercises is trot to one step of walk to trot
Parade1974: Mostly the problem is she tricks me into thinking she is travelling well, so smooth and rhythimic....then she trips...*LOL* So anyway any good exercises will help.
ChaseTheTBjumper has entered the room.
GRAYDRESGE: work up and down hills, cavaletti, too
Parade1974: I love cavaletti and will admit to not doing much, but I am recovering from an ingury so just getting back.
GRAYDRESGE: I think most people don't do enough cavaletti
ChaseTheTBjumper: hello everyone
GRAYDRESGE: and they shouldn't be just poles on the ground, but slightly raised
Parade1974: I have some good cavaletti and plan on making more. 4 just isn't enough for me.
Freebird TMH: this is a stupid? but how far do you like to space them?
ChaseTheTBjumper: i do a lot of cavelletti work, i just don't know very many excersises
GRAYDRESGE: about 4 ' but it is VERY important that you adjust them to be comfortable for the horse
GRAYDRESGE: it helps to have someone on the ground at first
Parade1974: I have Klimkes Cavaletti book. There are some good excercises I would like to try in there.
GRAYDRESGE: his book is excellent
GRAYDRESGE: and his daughter Ingrid has just written another
NYBredMare: I like transition work but have a question about it, regarding a green draft X fild hunter
ChaseTheTBjumper: really? hmm, I will look for it the next time I am at a book store
evntualevnter: (if you have no one on the ground, you become very, very good at mounting;-))
GRAYDRESGE: you had better!
HalfpassHorse: What is Ingrid's new book?
GRAYDRESGE: I don't remember -- but give me a sec
GRAYDRESGE: it's also called Cavaletti -- it may just be an updating of her father's book since his name is on it as well
NYBredMare: the evil knome that I ride gets VERY cranky with LOTS of gait changes. He has bucked me off over it. Are distinct changes in length of stride, ie extend-collect-medium etc effective too
GRAYDRESGE: I consider them transitions too
HalfpassHorse: Thank you Lendon
GRAYDRESGE: do you think he might not be string enough yet in his stifles
GRAYDRESGE: that is a common problem, esp. with the big guys
NYBredMare: thank you. Hes a foxhunter witrh two speeds, fast and off. He's getting his first real taste of "ring work" and has a common streak
ChaseTheTBjumper: Chase used to do foxhunting you would never guess it now though :-)
GRAYDRESGE: try to do his "ring work" not in the ring -- in the field, on hills, on trails
GRAYDRESGE: some of my most successsful DRessage schooling has happened on the trails
NYBredMare: could be, but he seems physically able but mentally frustrated. he's a small horse under 16hh and not really bulky, for a draftX.
Parade1974: Parade was the same way, exfox hunter, but now she has 3 speeds, Fast, Medium and stop. We are working on getting better in the medium speed. *L*
Freebird TMH: oh that is so true Lendon!
ChaseTheTBjumper: GrayDresge, may I ask you a question?
NYBredMare: once the ice melts I hope to:-D
GRAYDRESGE: you really think it might melt??
HalfpassHorse: I have a question about warming up. What do you think is a good warm up for a Arab/QH that tends to get too quick a tempo and sucks back.
Freebird TMH: ohh - good one, I have an arab/qh pony
NYBredMare: this guy LOVES to jump but gets annoyed with flatting, I try to keep it varied
GRAYDRESGE: If you look in the dictionary is "to flat" there as a verb? :-)
GRAYDRESGE: Anyway, I do a similar warm up for most horses
NYBredMare: no, only here. and to think, I majored in English.
Freebird TMH: we'd love to hear your warm up routine
GRAYDRESGE: but keep in mind that only in the coldest days or with arthritic types do you need to worry about "warming"
GRAYDRESGE: I think of it as tune up
Freebird TMH: good point
GRAYDRESGE: developing the tools (responses) to mu aids and getting the mind in gear
GRAYDRESGE: so that I have everything ready to then work
GRAYDRESGE: so evern from the beginning I do simple transitions, lots of changes of direction
Freebird TMH: so for the average training/1s level horse, how would yuo start your ride out?
GRAYDRESGE: changes of bend, and canter as soon as I can
GRAYDRESGE: with TB sometimes you are better off cantering before you trot
Parade1974: Mine is like that!
ChaseTheTBjumper: this is true
HalfpassHorse: My arab is like that too
Freebird TMH: that is very true - it seems to relax them more
evntualevnter: NY: A horse at my old barn went much, much better after jumping; I once warmed him up for an at-home show by going out in the field, galloping, jumping a little, then keeping our in-ring w-up very short and forward.
Parade1974: Her trot is 10 times better after a canter.
GRAYDRESGE: So after I walk on a loose rein, I then walk a short time on cantact, bend right and left, might do a little leg yield unless the horse is sucky
GRAYDRESGE: trot, change direction, circles, trot walks, serpentines, center lines, canter,
GRAYDRESGE: lotsof trot canter transitions
NYBredMare: eventualeventer, I try to incoprporate a few little crossrails into our flat work to keep him interested
GRAYDRESGE: throw in strectching circles at trot and canter
Freebird TMH: may I ask a reallly stupid question?
ChaseTheTBjumper: no question is stupid freebird
GRAYDRESGE: sure
GRAYDRESGE: if he rushes I do slow gait transitions
HalfpassHorse: Lendon: How far into the ride should you begin asking for more advanced stuff such as canter pirouettes and some steps of piaffe? (Mav has just started this, nothing serious)
GRAYDRESGE: if he is lazy I do lots of half goes -- little quickenings of the gait
GRAYDRESGE: It depends very much on the horse
Freebird TMH: I have trained with some wonderful Dressage trainers - Lendon knows one - but I have had 8 concussions - from racehorses - and I have terrible short term memery loss. I woudl love to show Dressage, but I cant seem to remember a
GRAYDRESGE: I have often used piaffe as an early part of the warmup with an advanced horse
LimeKiwi01 has entered the room.
ChaseTheTBjumper: really? why is that?
Freebird TMH: test, and I am always getting teh aids confused when asking for movements, like for shoulder in, half pass etc
GRAYDRESGE: and schooling pirouettes are definitely part of the warm up of the advanced horse
LimeKiwi01: Hello
ChaseTheTBjumper: hi lime kiwi
HalfpassHorse: How big do you ride the schooling pirouettes?
Freebird TMH: I guess I need a Dressage for Dummies book
ChaseTheTBjumper: freebird, when you find it, send me a copy ;-) haha just kidding
GRAYDRESGE: depends, but like a 10 meter circle
Freebird TMH: so is there any hope?
GRAYDRESGE: Freebird -- just go out and do the best you can and HAVE SOME FUN!
GRAYDRESGE: get your test called and keep it simple
Freebird TMH: what sthe best book for learning the aids
GRAYDRESGE: probably the German Manual
NYBredMare: thats OK freebird, I go off course at least one a lesson
HalfpassHorse: My guy is pretty good in the schooling pirouettes but on the right rein, he has a tendency to "spin" when I ride it smaller.
evntualevnter: I just need a dressage for eventing yahoos book!:-P (walk, trot, canter, buck, spook -- all my specialties)
Freebird TMH: I want something that says to do _____ use your outsidfe leg behind teh girth, inside hand......that sort of thing
GRAYDRESGE: go two steps piouette to two steps straight ahead over and over
GRAYDRESGE: doesn't have to be exactly two steps
rockyandmolly: Freebird, that is why I am waiting for Part 2, of Lessons with Lendon !!
GRAYDRESGE: my next book goes into GREAT detail :-)
ChaseTheTBjumper: Graydresge, may I ask you a question?
Parade1974: I would like to know too if there is a book like that out there.
rockyandmolly: I need the lesson for Shoulder In !!
Freebird TMH: oh - I'm thinking I need to check out Amazon.com the next time I get some extra $$$ - your book sounds fabulous
HalfpassHorse: Thank you Lendon, I'll try that. I do a similar excercise with the halfpass, and it works wonders on him.
Freebird TMH: and whats a shoulder fore? I mean compared to a choulder in
GRAYDRESGE: make sure you don't change the temp between pirouett and straight ahead
HalfpassHorse: So stay in the pirouette canter?
GRAYDRESGE: a shoulder fore is a baby shoulder in
GRAYDRESGE: yes stay in pir canter
HalfpassHorse: ok, thanks :-)
ChaseTheTBjumper: Ledon: may I ask you something?
ChaseTheTBjumper: *lendon
GRAYDRESGE: in shoulder in the outside front leg in in front of the inside hind leg
LimeKiwi01: i have a ? also lendon
GRAYDRESGE: in shoulder fore the outside front leg lines up between the two hind legs
Freebird TMH: ohh ok
Freebird TMH: that makes sence
LimeKiwi01: well i have a young TB and how do i .....well get his head tucked??
GRAYDRESGE: That is not something that I can answer without seeing you both
LimeKiwi01: ok
GRAYDRESGE: but let me just say that before that you must have some other things confirmed
NYBredMare: id you young tb off the track?
LimeKiwi01: no
GRAYDRESGE: he must go on loose rein
GRAYDRESGE: you must be able to maintain a very soft and totally passive contact (no pullling) at all gaits
GRAYDRESGE: without interfering in any way
GRAYDRESGE: he must be willing to bend his neck right and left
LimeKiwi01: thank you lendon. can i show u some pictures? Is it ok?
GRAYDRESGE: particularly with bending lines you may be lucky enough to them have his head come down because his whole top line relaxes
ChaseTheTBjumper: asking Lendon, I have a tendency to not "drop" the inside rein in my bend, but nost use it as much as I should,
GRAYDRESGE: but this can be a VERY big subject with some horses and not at all easy
GRAYDRESGE: it takes a rider who is totally independent with the aids and quick to repond to the horses responses
ChaseTheTBjumper: because asking my horse to bend, for example a quarter hauches turn, I know you aren't supposed to ask the horse to TURN with your inside rein, but i feel if i use it for bending, he forgets about t
GRAYDRESGE: I'm afraid it's getting to be bedtime :-)
ChaseTheTBjumper: the outside rein and inside leg altogether
ChaseTheTBjumper: oh okay
CHdomino has left the room.
evntualevnter: thanks for chatting with us!
Freebird TMH: oh gosh its after 10
Freebird TMH: sorry about that Lendon
LimeKiwi01: lendon can i show a pic?
Freebird TMH: you have been most patient with us
Parade1974: Thanks for listening to us.
GRAYDRESGE: It's been my pleasure
LimeKiwi01: thank you lendon :-)
GRAYDRESGE: Bet of luck to you all and come visit if you are ever in my part of NY
NYBredMare: Your time and attention is appreciated Lendon
Freebird TMH: Thanks again chatting with us
HalfpassHorse: Thank you very much Lendon, I'm emailing you now about the WS position, thanks again!
Freebird TMH: and if its ok with everyone, I am going to be posting this chat on COTH
ChaseTheTBjumper: thanks lendon will you perhaps be on tomorrow?
GRAYDRESGE: I have 50 horses here of every type shape level and talent
GRAYDRESGE: Good night
NYBredMare: where is your home base?
LimeKiwi01: bye lendon
ChaseTheTBjumper: good night to you as well
rockyandmolly: thanks !
GRAYDRESGE: Bedford, NY -- 1 hr from NYC
NYBredMare: thank you again
NYBredMare: I may call for a lesson some time
GRAYDRESGE: sure -- now signing off
Freebird TMH: oh, and you all are welcome to stay here and chat
NYBredMare: good night