PDA

View Full Version : Can I ride on the sub-base please?

kinnip
Jun. 17, 2010, 08:07 PM
I have a graded and packed clay surface with the conveniently approximate dimensions of a small dressage arena. The weather has been ugly hot, and construction has "slowed". Every day I drive by and see this gorgeous, flat, firm surface. Every day I go ride in a bug ridden, lumpy turf paddock. Is riding on the sub-base sooo bad?

msj
Jun. 17, 2010, 09:11 PM
When I had my outdoor ring built with a graded and tiled and compacted clay base, the guy right after he had compacted it and put down ~3" of stone dust. I went to ride on it the next day and he gave me holy H.E.L.L. :eek: so I went back to the pasture I was riding in till he got the footing and spread around.

I honestly don't know if it really would have hurt the arena or whether he was just trying to bully me but I waited till he got done after that. :(

kinnip
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:41 AM
Guess it's bug city for me then. Poop!

Kate66
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
Don't do it. If you break up your base then once you put your footing on, you are always going to have issues with wet spots. Be patient :-)

MistyBlue
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:08 AM
Yep, stay off the base. And yep, it stinks waiting when you're so excited for a good riding surface.

And it's probably because I'm in CT but when I read the title of this thread I automatically thought someone wanted to ride on the submarine base in Groton, CT! :lol:

kinnip
Jun. 18, 2010, 05:11 PM
Grrrrrrrr. Sometimes good advice sucks.
MistyBlue, I've ridden at a few Naval bases, but never in CT. The barn at NAS Oceana in VA Beach was pretty decent.

Guin
Jun. 18, 2010, 05:55 PM
And it's probably because I'm in CT but when I read the title of this thread I automatically thought someone wanted to ride on the submarine base in Groton, CT! :lol:

LMAO!!! Me too! My grandfather was a life officer and the boxing coach at the Coast Guard Academy and my uncle was a nuclear engineer at Groton before he retired. I was thinking, hmm, I don't think they'd let you ride at the Sub Base. :lol::lol::lol:

MistyBlue
Jun. 18, 2010, 06:55 PM
LOL Guin, glad it wasn't just me. ;)

kinnip...I know the feeling of having an Almost Arena and not being able to ride in it. It stinks, huh?
I've had my ring area cleared, destumped, drained and the sub-base is in. And it's been that way for SIX YEARS! :eek: :no: :lol:
Budget kicked our butts...because the ring is going to have a finished cost pretty darned high. My sub-base is 44 loads of crushed shale because after clearing a few billion trees and destumping, we uncovered a couple underground springs (that turned my newly cleared area into a lake overnight, LOL) and the topography was l-o-w. So we had to build it way up again...I have crush in there packed 8 feet deep!
But on the bright side is...once it's finished it will be all weather and have excellent drainage. If we ever finish it. :winkgrin:
Right now I'm considering putting in a base and footing on part of it for flat work. Maybe an 80x80 area or so, it will be 100 x 200 when done.

kinnip
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:13 PM
Springs?! Wow. Had I created a lake with the excavations, I believe I would have been told to move my silly arena elsewhere: "The fish are bitin'!"
8' is unbelievably deep. It's no wonder you couldn't finish it. I couldn't have gotten that far on what I'm paying for my finished 20m x 40m. Tree removal is so much harder then you ever think it will be. We're still dealing with the aftermath around our house, three years later.
It seems like after six years, partially finishing it could only be a good thing. I will not complain about my situation again. My mantra of choice has long been, "Worse things have happened to better people." I imagine this is one such example. You are one patient individual!

MistyBlue
Jun. 19, 2010, 10:45 AM
Well I won't lie and say it doesn't make me want to cry sometimes kinnip. :winkgrin: :lol:

I can't move the ring area, every other spot on my property would require tons momre clearing, destumping and also grading out huge swells and tons of ledge would require blasting. :no: This was actually the best spot. But topography in my area is like this, so we knew it wouldn't be simple. Just didn't plan on a lake. It was kinda funny though...wake up in the morning and there's a 1/2 acre lake where it was dry the day before and the grader's dozer was almost under water in the middle of it! :eek: