PDA

View Full Version : Jumper rider that wants to cross over

Pologirl4720
Jun. 17, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hi, I am a young amateur adult rider and have been in the hunter/jumper (more jumper) world for my whole riding career. I have always wanted to try eventing. When I was young I took my grey welsh to school xcountry a few times at apple knoll in mass and fell in love with it. Unfortunately I live in Portsmouth, RI and there isn't much of a demand for eventing activities and barns around here.

My question for you guys is do you think it will be worth it for me to attempt to pursue eventing?

Also, are there any eventing barns/instructors in SE Mass, RI, or NE CT that would be worth traveling to and lessoning at?

Viva
Jun. 17, 2010, 02:25 PM
Let me be the first to say "Welcome to the dark side!":cool:

Definitely worth it, no question, it's the most fun you can have with a horse, if you ask anyone on this board!

Check out Flatlands Equestrian Center in Rehoboth, MA www.flatlands-equestrian.com. Tom Davis is a wonderful instructor, very positive and very correct. He has lots of experience with adult ammys and crossover riders--you'll have a great time and become a very competent, confident event rider. Have fun!

GotSpots
Jun. 17, 2010, 02:29 PM
Of course it's worth it! More fun than you can ever imagine!! The US Eventing Association has a great new website www.discovereventing.com that has lots of information as well if you're interested.

Not positive of coaches in that area, but maybe someone like RiverBendPol or Pixietrix can offer some advice. (I may be lumping far to much of NE into one collective pot, though, but think of both of them as general experts on Area I). You might also look at the USEA website (www.useventing.com) and look under ICP to see if there are any ICP instructors near you.

Hope you have a blast and welcome to the sport!

jn4jenny
Jun. 17, 2010, 02:43 PM
Welcome! You're going to love eventing.

I suggest that you modify your thread title to indicate your location, which will (hopefully) bring the locals to this thread and get you some options!

You might also want to note in your first post that you will need something to ride, which I infer from your thread in H/J. School horses are not very common at eventing barns, but don't let that stop you from making phone calls! If you are a competent jumper rider, they may have a suitable sale/client/otherwise idle horse for you to ride.

Janet
Jun. 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
In additions to the other suggestions, you should check out the Connecticut USEA Affiliate, Connecticut Dressage and Combined Training Association.

http://cdctaonline.com/

And also the Area I web page

http://www.area1usea.org/

and the Area I information on the USEA web site

http://www.useventing.com/aboutus.php?section=areas&area=I

That also includes a link to the ICP instructors in Area I.

You might also want to talk to the Adult Rider coordinator (also listed on that page). I don't know how it works in Area I, but in Area II the Adult Rider program is a great support unit and source of information.

Yes, you should definitely try it.

SuZQuzie
Jun. 19, 2010, 01:10 AM
Wow, you freaked me out a little.

I am a young AA.
I did hunter/jumpers, but mostly jumpers, for all of my riding career till recently.
I thought eventing looked fun and wanted try it.
Many years ago, I schooled my grey welsh pony cross country for kicks (and loved it!).

Being that I am the California version of you, from experience, I can tell you that you will love the sense of community and new challenges that one can only find with eventing. :)

I don't know of many trainers in that area, but good luck!

Milo19
Jun. 19, 2010, 08:51 AM
Woohoo! Another one on our side! :cool:

And yes, it is going to be absolutely worth it! Even if there aren't many events around you, I can guarantee you it will be worth it to travel. Or at least go to the events that ARE near you. Trust me, I'd rather wait anxiously for one event per month than a hunter show every weekend. :lol:

It's amazing. Just take our word for it. Once you cross over, you will never go back!

TBrescue
Jun. 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
I just crossed back over myself after spending the past few years as a DQ :eek::eek::eek:.
There are tons of trainers in this area. I frequently school @ AKF, and love the XC there!
Flatlands is a great place to start....AKF is not that much farther and has great instruction as well. You can check the USEA website for trainers closer to you that might travel to your location.