PDA

View Full Version : Best brake controller? What do you use?

DD_TrailerMan
Jun. 17, 2010, 09:27 AM
We install quite a few hitches and brake controllers at our trailer manufacturing facility and '2Bee' mentioned that the Voyager interia pendulam technology was very outdated. In addition to doing my own research, what does everyone else use/like? We certainly would like to offer the best brake controller.

FYI, all models come standard with Dexter's electric neveradjust brakes.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct and $ave at www.DoubleDTrailers.com

2bee
Jun. 17, 2010, 01:48 PM
I had a Tekonsha Prodigy in my Explorer, it worked great. I now have a Brakesmart in my Duramax, also works great, and maybe a touch better than the Prodigy....it was way more expensive though ($450).

For your research;

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22713241/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21750501/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

I like to keep somewhat current on such things, the ability to STOP is high on my list of priorities :). A couple of those guys at rv.net really know their stuff about brake controllers.

Chall
Jun. 17, 2010, 01:57 PM
Geesh, a manufacturer who asks for customer input? Very nice, I'm off to visit your site pronto.

Ghazzu
Jun. 17, 2010, 01:59 PM
Draw-tite with a digital readout.

coloredhorse
Jun. 17, 2010, 02:48 PM
Love my Tekonsha Prodigy. Outstanding performance and a very affordable controller.

Foxtrot's
Jun. 17, 2010, 04:08 PM
My Trailer Guy installed Peodigy in mine. Huge improvement over what I had, but it was old.

goodhors
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:09 PM
I just got a new digital controler on the truck. It replaced a pendulum model which the hitch mechanic said was old and the plastic inside, along with dirt, was preventing the pendulum swinging. Brakes were cutting in and out on the trailer while stopping, which he said was common when controllers are dying.

I don't know the model or maker, receipt says Activator 3-8. I will have to check the truck! Was $132 plus labor. It appears quite easy to use, with a wheel setting the braking power of the digital readout, 0-10. Just push the wheel and set the number you want. There is a second setting, sliding button also digital, for delay time when brakes kick in after the truck brakes are applied, 0-8 seconds. No pendulum inside to get worn or dirty, preventing controller from working. Controller can be rotated on the bracket to allow easier reading of digits with face up, does not need to be level like old controllers.

This shop installs LOTS of controlers, and he recommended this digital type for us. Truck is a Nissan 2000 UD model, made in 2005?, used with three different trailers. I will put labels on the dash to tell each trailer's settings, for easy resetting of controller after trailer changes.

Tom King
Jun. 19, 2010, 08:42 AM
I don't like any of the inertia controllers and wouldn't touch a timed controller. I use a BrakeSmart.

atlatl
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:43 AM
Another vote for Prodigy

Leather
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:25 AM
Had a Tekonsha Voyager and could never get it adjusted correctly. It would either do nothing or lock the trailer wheels up.

Put in a Tekonsha Prodigy and it's perfect!

Love the Boost option too.

InstigatorKate
Jun. 19, 2010, 05:31 PM
I just installed a Prodigy 3 and L-O-V-E it! Replaced my old Activator....

Right on Target
Jun. 20, 2010, 11:12 PM
We have Prodigys in two of our vehicles.

EventingJ
Jun. 21, 2010, 09:23 AM
Another Prodigy user here. I'm not sure what the other ones I have used were, but this one is far superior (although newer and probably slightly more expensive)

DD_TrailerMan
Jun. 21, 2010, 09:32 AM
Lots of votes for Prodigy, any specific model? I did see one vote for a Prodigy 3.

Also, does anyone have the neveradjust brakes from Dexter? We have been using them for about over a year. I would think the self-adjusting brakes have more consistancy across the 4 wheels.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct and $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com