PDA

View Full Version : Elect. over hydrolic brakes

tuppysmom
Jun. 17, 2010, 12:51 AM
A friend has a triple axlel trailer with elect over hydro brakes. The brakes have been a major headache of late. There has been smoking, failures, you name it. She has had breakdowns and repairs done here and there around the country. It seems that finding anyone who can make them work, and keep working, is impossible.

Short of replacing the axles, what do any of you suggest?

She is quite a ways from the factory.

goodhors
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:22 PM
Not sure how big her trailer is, but maybe a big truck repair shop could help her out. We have a big old Featherlite, with truck axles under it, so when I found some leaking fluid marks on the hub, we took the trailer into the big truck fixers. Needed a special bunch of seals, and they fixed some other problems that just hadn't happened yet. Thank goodness, sure would not want to break down on the road.

Maybe she could ask around where she is, find some Semi drivers, find a local person big truck shop to help her out. We feel quite lucky to have these fixer guys around for our big truck work and that big trailer too.

tuppysmom
Jun. 19, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks. It is a big 5 hrs LQ, triple axle. Brakes on all 3 axles.

Tom King
Jun. 19, 2010, 03:16 PM
Not enough information, but any good mechanic should be able to fix what's wrong. It's what I use and not a complicated system at all. I wouldn't bother taking it to a trailer place.

tuppysmom
Jun. 19, 2010, 08:58 PM
She has had repairs made at the dealership where the trailer was purchased, again while on the road at a truck repair place in CA, and a couple of other times.

From what I'm told, the lines leak, the brakes smoke, they don't work etc.

She took it to where the dealer sent her and was told, "We can fix the brakes, but don't have the parts or equipment to test." She has heard this line from several places. It is sounding like there has been enough patching up done that this trailer needs a complete brake re do?

Some of the trailer places have told her that elec/hydra brakes are uncommon on horse trailers.

Are these dealers /trailer repair shops just uninformed, lazy, or are they correct?

The axles are Dexter. I have no idea of the maker of the brakes. The trailer is Sundowner

Guilherme
Jun. 20, 2010, 07:46 AM
The trailer is Sundowner

Well, there's your problem. :eek:

As Tom notes this isn't "rocket science" and a competant shop should be able to do the job.

Trying a shop that does commercial vehicles might be a viable approach. Many "retail" sellers don't maintain the equipement to fix larger vehicles 'cause they don't sell that many. Commercial shops do them all the time.

Some time spent calling around might be productive.

G.

Tom King
Jun. 20, 2010, 08:35 AM
Sounds like some sort of cheap brake lines were used. Get those replaced with good quality stuff (the parts that flex need to be the best available-buy from a source like Summit Racing), and they should work for a couple of decades.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-63010112ERL/

Look for a local mechanic that is successful at racing something, and you will find someone who can fix the brakes.