PDA

View Full Version : Cars and Horse Trailers

clspur3
Jun. 16, 2010, 09:20 PM
I have a 95' thunderbird V8. Is it capable of safely pulling a horse trailer?:confused:

RxCate
Jun. 17, 2010, 09:50 AM
Seriously?

It probably has the power, but I would never ever pull a horse trailer with a car. Not even if the trailer was a brenderup.

wildlifer
Jun. 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
Absolutely not. It is too light, among other things.

jn4jenny
Jun. 17, 2010, 09:55 PM
I seriously hope this is a joke.

But if you really insist, it could pull a Brenderup. But I sure as heck wouldn't, not with that particular car. And I say this as someone who DOES pull her Brenderup Solo with a car/crossover SUV.

Lady Counselor
Jun. 19, 2010, 12:19 PM
Do you want it to stop it too?
Seriously...just because a vehicle *might* be able to pull a certain amount of weight doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so.
Add 1,000 +/- living weight, and you could be in for the ride of your life......maybe the last ride of your life.

Trees4U
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:24 PM
Safely is the key word.

Nope. Trust the advice of all here.

The tail will wag the dog- ie: if that horse MOVES in the trailer, it will pull you where you will not want to go

SquareOxer
Jun. 20, 2010, 08:14 PM
Not if you plan to put a horse inside that trailer.

shakeytails
Jun. 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
I wonder if my diesel Jetta could pull a trailer- like a Brenderup. Just curious. It would be kinda hard to put a gooseneck ball on it for my trailer (that we pull with a 3/4 ton diesel truck).

jn4jenny
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:43 PM
I wonder if my diesel Jetta could pull a trailer- like a Brenderup. Just curious. It would be kinda hard to put a gooseneck ball on it for my trailer (that we pull with a 3/4 ton diesel truck).

Somewhere in this world, a redneck has tried to drill a hole in the top of a compact car and drop a gooseneck hitch into it. Ga-ron-teed. :lol:

In all seriousness--and I know you are very much not serious ;) --no, a Jetta couldn't pull a Brenderup. Even Brenderup has minimum specs and the Jetta doesn't meet the horsepower requirement.

If we want to have a serious convo about whether the Thunderbird can pull a B'up, it does meet and exceed Brenderup's minimum specs. But without much more info about the vehicle, I would err on the side of caution and say "not advisable." And I'd bet most Brenderup dealers would say the same. Just because a vehicle exceeds the minimum specs doesn't mean it's always an appropriate tow vehicle.

mypaintwattie
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:50 PM
Besides, it just wouldn't look cool:lol:

shakeytails
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:45 PM
In all seriousness--and I know you are very much not serious ;) --no, a Jetta couldn't pull a Brenderup. Even Brenderup has minimum specs and the Jetta doesn't meet the horsepower requirement.

But it's got a turbo!!!!!!!! Are you sure??? I'm heartbroken....

There's an idiot (he's an idiot in so many ways!) at my trainer's barn that bought what looks like a nice BIG aluminum 2-H BP. Apparently he thinks big trucks are just for show and thought he'd get by with using his small 4wd Nissan PU. I was sooo hoping he'd try to take it to this one small show where there's a long steep hill that makes the turbos on the diesels sing. But alas, apparently he had some difficulty pulling it on flat road- so I won't have the joy of hearing how he left tranny parts all over the road -and he now borrows a 1/2 ton to pull it (still not quite enough truck IMO).

wendy
Jun. 21, 2010, 08:24 AM
there's a barn around here where they have some ancient very large v8 sedan that they use to pull a little 2 horse BP around to local shows. They've been doing this for years with no problems.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Jun. 21, 2010, 09:01 AM
I will add this before it comes up, which it usually does.

Everyone likes to bring up Europe when these discussions start. There is no comparison between US manufactured horse trailers and European manufactured horse trailers. There is no comparison between highway driving in the US and highway driving in Europe. Period, end of story.

European trailers have narrower wheelbases and are much, much lighter than American trailers. European driving laws are extremely strict when it comes to "slower traffic keep right" (GB, of course, being the other way around). You WILL get pulled over and cited for passing someone on the right if you do it enough. Speed limits in Europe are typically just that- limits. There are a lot of vehicles in Germany that display stickers which designate the top speed of the vehicle on which they are placed. It is not uncommon to see a top speed of 80 or 100 kilometers per hour, which is about 50-60mph. So all in all, this means most of the sedan/trailer combos in Europe usually "top out" at about 45 mph, drive in the slow lane, and are given respectful right hand right of way by other drivers. FWIW, you're also required to let someone merge into your lane if you have a reasonable amount of time to do so safely.

I cannot imagine driving this way in the US. Doing 45mph on the highway PISSES PEOPLE OFF. They get aggressive. They tailgate. They honk. They cuss. They do crazy things like pass you on the shoulder. This means you need a much faster braking time, and a wider wheelbase in the event that you need to swerve to avoid someone/something.

Keep in mind that, generally speaking in Europe, the distance between point A and point B is much shorter. You're not likely to be driving 3+ hours to a horse show with your sedan-trailer setup.

dkcbr
Jun. 21, 2010, 09:14 AM
there's a barn around here where they have some ancient very large v8 sedan that they use to pull a little 2 horse BP around to local shows. They've been doing this for years with no problems.

Used to see that in the 60s and 70s, and lots of Caprice station wagons. In fact, I occasionally towed (one horse) with a 1974 Mercury Montego sedan. Heavy cars, long wheelbases, sufficient power, driven under easier / saner driving conditions.....

Everythingbutwings
Jun. 21, 2010, 09:24 AM
Here you go, Shakeytails. :)

1974 VW beetle/travel trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0&feature=related)

Trees4U
Jun. 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
dkcbr-

don't forget your Ford Country Squire stationwagons

oh yea !! :winkgrin:

Heart's Journey
Jun. 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
About 10 years ago a friend used to pull her 2H BP steel trailer with her hubby's huge red caddy convertible. They were "styling" driving down the road with the top down....

shakeytails
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:29 PM
Here you go, Shakeytails. :)

1974 VW beetle/travel trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0&feature=related)

Now that's some silly stuff. Love it!