PDA

View Full Version : ?- Heath Ryan clinic in Eventing USA

archieflies
Jun. 16, 2010, 02:55 PM
OK, I just got my new Eventing USA magazine and read the Heath Ryan clinic article where they're jumping gymnastics. I enjoyed the article, but can somebody help me understand the diagram??

Obviously, the drawing's not to scale. I get that. The "course" on the outside makes sense... but the distances on the grid are mind-boggling.

I get the initial 3' ground pole spacing to w/t/c through. Sounds hard at a canter, but I get that that is the point.

I get the pole-3ft-oxer-3ft-pole. I get the spacing between the first two jumps... I think (bounce with 12' distance?). I could be wrong. I totally, completely, am failing to understand the spacing between the 2nd and third jumps........ jump-3ft-pole-3ft-jump. Where is the horse to land? On top of the pole? Before it? After it? How on earth is he going to fit in another take off? I just don't get the spacing of a 6' bounce.

The article talks about mastering a 12' stride... and a 6' bounce doesn't seem like it would help wiht that???? But then, I could be making a big loser mistake and totally missing something obvious?

Anyone else left with more questions than answers?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
are you sure it is feet...and not yards or strides?

I jumped gymnastics with him and I don't remember the poles or fences set at any odd distances. I know that the all the AUS instructors I know go by strides/yards. So when they say 3, they mean my three steps which each step is about 3'.

archieflies
Jun. 16, 2010, 03:42 PM
I had considered that, but the diagram says 3' and 6', and the article itself says (of the ground poles) "the poles were spaced three feet apart (except for the six-foot spread in the middle)."

I am hoping that the diagram is juts wrong aboutt he spacing between the second and third fences?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
I had considered that, but the diagram says 3' and 6', and the article itself says (of the ground poles) "the poles were spaced three feet apart (except for the six-foot spread in the middle)."

I am hoping that the diagram is juts wrong aboutt he spacing between the second and third fences?

yeah...that has got to be wrong. Never heard of a 6' bounce....or heard of putting placing poles in a bounce (other then guide poles to keep them straight.

And when i jumped with him....the placing pole to the jump was NOT at 3'...I would say they were set more like 9'.

Threeday33
Jun. 16, 2010, 03:52 PM
I looked at the article briefly and I thought the same thing. I don't get it. I'm thinking he meant meters...but it does say feet. Can someone help us???

wildlifer
Jun. 16, 2010, 04:51 PM
You are not alone -- that diagram has to be wrong. The only conclusion I came to is that he told them meters and they had some giant brain fart and wrote feet. 3 metersish would actually be a correct canter pole spacing for a bounce.

HappyRiding
Jun. 16, 2010, 11:40 PM
I've done these before actually, one is the landing pole then its a one stride cantering over a placing pole to the next fence. I actually havent looked at the magazine diagram yet but I'm pretty sure that is what he is trying to do.

Janet
Jun. 17, 2010, 01:02 AM
IMHO the photo confirms that it is supposed to be METERS.

GreyDun
Jun. 17, 2010, 11:25 AM
We goofed! Sorry for the confusion everyone - it should be six feet between the ground poles and verticals, instead of 3' (since the ground pole was in the middle of a 12' stride).

We'll be printing a little announcement in the next issue of the magazine next month, just to clear up any questions. Thanks for catching this!

archieflies
Jun. 17, 2010, 06:16 PM
So the one that says 6' should be... 12'?

horsecents
Jun. 21, 2010, 01:23 PM
Has anyone set this exercise up?

I set the exercise up today using 9' and 18' for my measurements judging by the photographs. I set the line of single fences at 48' in between jumps. Will let you know how it rides tomorrow and what adjustments I make.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 21, 2010, 01:57 PM
Has anyone set this exercise up?

I set the exercise up today using 9' and 18' for my measurements judging by the photographs. I set the line of single fences at 48' in between jumps. Will let you know how it rides tomorrow and what adjustments I make.

I actually rode in that clinic....on my big guy. I don't remember the distances being set any differently than I normally set for gymnastics. (that helps a lot doesn't it:winkgrin:)

Biggest difference for me was starting the gymnastics line with an oxer. For my horse (who is almost too good with his hind end)...Heath said it wasn't important to do this exercise. But it can really help other horses improve their hind end technique.

And he really stressed the importance of getting them to the correct distance to the placing pole. This was very different from my usual coaching in gymnstics where my job was to just stay the hell out of their way and let them sort things out. I see the point to both methods. One is more focused on training the rider (Heath's)...the other is more focused on training the horse.

horsecents
Jun. 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;4935395]I actually rode in that clinic....on my big guy. I don't remember the distances being set any differently than I normally set for gymnastics. (that helps a lot doesn't it:winkgrin:)

That does actually help :D I'm thinking in feet and meters and what I've done in clinics past.

horsecents
Jun. 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
The gymnastic exercise set with 9 foot canter rails and an 18 foot middle worked out quite well today. Set up the single fences at 48 feet, fence 2 to 3 rode long when you weren't coming forward thru rollback type turn :D Ended up shortening the distance between these fences.

GreyDun
Jun. 23, 2010, 09:47 AM
Okay, so there was a bit of confusion as to the set distances that we printed in the magazine (completely our fault - I apologize for that), so we got a hold of Heath to get confirmation of the appropriate distances and here's what he said:

I do tend to make these things up as I go depending upon materials available and also available space. Distances will vary depending on the class, their experience or lack of, and also the stride length of the horse/s doing the clinic. The grid or schooling line is ideally built a little on the short side and designed for schooling and improving the horses technique and
focus, where the single fences are more of a reality check and so the distances are much closer to a standard 12' stride distance with 6' landing and 6' take off which is what most course builders will build a course around.

The distances should read as follows:

Placing pole, 9', Square Oxer, 9', Landing Pole, 30' (this will allow for 2 whole strides between the landing pole after the oxer and the placing pole before the first vertical), Placing Pole, 9', Vertical, 12', Placing Pole, 9', Vertical.

Hope this helps!

horsecents
Jun. 23, 2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks!