View Full Version : Footing

Jun. 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hi, everyone. I am opening my own barn for the first time ever, so be prepared for lots of questions from me. :D The first one is this: I am in the process of building my ring, and I know what kind of footing I want (either a river sand/limestone mix or something similar) but have absolutely no idea where to procure it. I live in the north Georgia area, but travel to TN a lot if that helps. Also, if there is other footing that is easier to procure and still fairly cost-effective, I am open to hearing about that, too. Thanks!

Jun. 18, 2010, 08:50 AM
--sorry, nothing to add in re: the footing...only wanted to say hello to a fellow parrothead ! Will you see Jimmy this year?:D

Jun. 18, 2010, 11:11 AM
Nope, not this summer. :D

I can't believe no one is weighing in on this! Seems to be a topic people get pretty passionate about.

Maybe if I ask more specifics that will help? For instance, anyone have experience with carpet fibers mixed with sand? Rubber mixed with sand? Thoughts??

Jun. 18, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'd suggest doing a search on footing. I'm in NY so I have no idea what is available in your area. Good luck. :)

Jun. 18, 2010, 03:05 PM
Ask at the local hardware or feed store if there is a rock quarry nearby.

We found our hauler on Craigs List advertising sand/dirt/gravel and had him bring out a load of crusher run to stabilize some wet spots and re-grade the driveway. He can also bring sand, etc.

Jun. 18, 2010, 04:23 PM
What part of N Ga are you in? Craigslist has a couple of people that advertise river sand, M10 and other materials on a regular basis. Are you planning on putting the footing in yourself or having someone else do it for you?

Jun. 20, 2010, 11:23 AM
I have an awesome guy who has done several rings in the Atlanta area. However, we are about 1 hr, 45 min north of Atlanta so it would be cost prohibitive for me to use his suppliers he has dealt with in the past. M10 and river sand are exactly what I am looking for; can't find any in my area so it's very frustrating. I am sure it's here, just don't know how to find it. I live in a very non-horsey area.

msj, I did numerous searches on footing but it is a little overwhelming to sift through over a thousand responses. ;)

Jun. 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
Quarries and construction companies call M10, 810. It's used in retaining walls and beneath paving. You may have more luck checking with commercial graders and landscapers.

Jun. 20, 2010, 04:56 PM
I know I've seen signs in Dawsonville for river sand... not sure if they have M10 or not. 1:45 north of Atlanta... are we talking the Helen / Hiawassee area or further east or west? My uncle is a builder in Hiawassee and might be able to point you in the right direction. Typically landscaping companies will also have or know where to order the materials. :-)

Jun. 23, 2010, 02:21 PM
A little further north/east than Helen. But thank you for the information!