PDA

View Full Version : Footing

APirateLooksAtForty
Jun. 16, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hi, everyone. I am opening my own barn for the first time ever, so be prepared for lots of questions from me. :D The first one is this: I am in the process of building my ring, and I know what kind of footing I want (either a river sand/limestone mix or something similar) but have absolutely no idea where to procure it. I live in the north Georgia area, but travel to TN a lot if that helps. Also, if there is other footing that is easier to procure and still fairly cost-effective, I am open to hearing about that, too. Thanks!

Pirate

ayrabz
Jun. 18, 2010, 07:50 AM
--sorry, nothing to add in re: the footing...only wanted to say hello to a fellow parrothead ! Will you see Jimmy this year?:D

APirateLooksAtForty
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:11 AM
Nope, not this summer. :D

I can't believe no one is weighing in on this! Seems to be a topic people get pretty passionate about.

Maybe if I ask more specifics that will help? For instance, anyone have experience with carpet fibers mixed with sand? Rubber mixed with sand? Thoughts??

msj
Jun. 18, 2010, 01:40 PM
I'd suggest doing a search on footing. I'm in NY so I have no idea what is available in your area. Good luck. :)

wsmoak
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:05 PM
Ask at the local hardware or feed store if there is a rock quarry nearby.

We found our hauler on Craigs List advertising sand/dirt/gravel and had him bring out a load of crusher run to stabilize some wet spots and re-grade the driveway. He can also bring sand, etc.

shortbusgeek
Jun. 18, 2010, 03:23 PM
What part of N Ga are you in? Craigslist has a couple of people that advertise river sand, M10 and other materials on a regular basis. Are you planning on putting the footing in yourself or having someone else do it for you?

APirateLooksAtForty
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:23 AM
I have an awesome guy who has done several rings in the Atlanta area. However, we are about 1 hr, 45 min north of Atlanta so it would be cost prohibitive for me to use his suppliers he has dealt with in the past. M10 and river sand are exactly what I am looking for; can't find any in my area so it's very frustrating. I am sure it's here, just don't know how to find it. I live in a very non-horsey area.

msj, I did numerous searches on footing but it is a little overwhelming to sift through over a thousand responses. ;)

kinnip
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
Quarries and construction companies call M10, 810. It's used in retaining walls and beneath paving. You may have more luck checking with commercial graders and landscapers.

shortbusgeek
Jun. 20, 2010, 03:56 PM
I know I've seen signs in Dawsonville for river sand... not sure if they have M10 or not. 1:45 north of Atlanta... are we talking the Helen / Hiawassee area or further east or west? My uncle is a builder in Hiawassee and might be able to point you in the right direction. Typically landscaping companies will also have or know where to order the materials. :-)

APirateLooksAtForty
Jun. 23, 2010, 01:21 PM
A little further north/east than Helen. But thank you for the information!