PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning The Sweaty Saddle

supaflyskye
Jun. 16, 2010, 11:21 AM
how do I do it effectively??
I have a Black Country Vinici (http://blackcountrysaddles.com/saddles/vinici/2) monoflap jumping saddle. I ride some pretty prolific sweaters, and the overgirth style billets often get quite sweaty where they meet the horse's side, and just above. I clean the saddle pretty thoroughly every day that I ride in it, and make sure to put extra work into wiping down the sweaty areas. However, despite my concerted efforts to rid the saddle of sweat, so the leather doesn't break down, I find that the next time I go to use it, every time, there is a layer of white crystalline salt on the billets, presumabley from the horse sweat that has worked it's way into the leather. I've now taken to cleaning it, waiting a while for the salt to emerge, then wiping it down again, and on and on until there seems to be a satisfactorily small ammount of salt coming back, at which point I condition it.
Unfortunately, there is always a little salty sweat left.

There must be a better way to do this!
Anyone care to enlighten me on it?

WishIWereRiding
Jun. 16, 2010, 12:09 PM
What are you using to clean it? I have the same saddle and like Leather Therapy leather cleaner, also the Amerigo leather cleaner as well.

supaflyskye
Jun. 16, 2010, 01:04 PM
I use Farnam Leather New to clean and Five Star Tack leather cream to condition. I'm fully open to trying new cleaners, I will look into the Leather Therapy.

spaceagevalkyrie
Jun. 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
Try akene. I'm a certified tack cleaning ho, and I can safely say it rocks. It made my cheapo ancient bridles look new again, which is a huge feat in itself. :eek:

eventer@heart
Jun. 16, 2010, 03:02 PM
From doing some research with our very wet/damp spring last year and havin almost everything in the tack room covered in mold, I learned that Leather Therapy soap has an ingredient in it that kills mold/prevents new mold from growing that most soaps don't have.

I think it's tea tree but don't quote me on that. I can tell you that after 1 cleaning with it, the tack was fine.

Perhaps it would also be effective for this. I also recall you should not clean your tack with this all the time - more like use only if/when/where you are having a specific issue. So, maybe always do your billets with it but don't use on the whole saddle.

Hope this helps.

supaflyskye
Jun. 17, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will swing by the tack store tomorow and pick up some Leather Therapy to try out.
I've heard many people say great things about Akene; I've been thinking about ordering some for a while; I probably will sometime soon.

I'm not really concerned w/ the dampness of the sweat causing mildew on the saddle - more the opposite - I think that the saltiness is drying it out some.

Thanks again for the responses.

whicker
Jun. 17, 2010, 10:43 AM
Anyone have ideas for waterproofing/sweatproofing leather? I use to be able to get a product that had mink oil and silicone that worked very well. Can't find it now.

jn4jenny
Jun. 17, 2010, 10:51 AM
Anyone have ideas for waterproofing/sweatproofing leather? I use to be able to get a product that had mink oil and silicone that worked very well. Can't find it now.

Hydrophane Oil. You can get it in "regular" or "darkening". I can literally see the water beading up on my tack when I dunk my bridle and take a damp sponge to my calfskin-covered Amerigo. I used to be a "water is the enemy" tack person, then I saw my former trainer doing this to all of her tack and I was converted to the dark side. :lol:

I use Hypdrophane once yearly on all of my tack, then use Passier Lederbalsam maybe 4x yearly to help keep up the waterproofing.

To supraflyskye: Thanks for the package! :)

whicker
Jun. 17, 2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the hydrophane idea!

I went by the tack shop tonight and got some. If I recall correctly, many years ago, it was also popular because it wouldn't stain white breeches. I have already black dye stain on my breeches and it has only been 2 miserable weeks of horrible humidity and heat. The saddle has the tell tale salt marks as do my new dehners. I can put a sheepskin seat saver on for schooling, but there has got to be something in the way of a saddle pad that doesn't soak the saddle.

Any ideas?