View Full Version : Two sided shelters in mild climate

Jun. 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yesterday I was at someone's home property where they have their four horses.

She had two sided sheds, I asked her how she liked it and she said she wouldn't do anything different in the area. No problems with "weather" creeping in, and said she'd never had a horse on the property who didn't use the sheds, citing the inviting openness of the design. She reminded me that here the weather is never too hot, too buggy, or too cold. We just get a lot of rain.

This last bit made me think of my own horse, who has no issues going into stalls or trailers (for food or being led), but will somewhat happily ignore the barn to stand out in the inclement weather (blanketed).

Anyone else have two sided shelters and like them?

Jun. 16, 2010, 11:25 AM
My barn is a shed row barn that is basically open on all sides for maximum air ventilation. The stall walls between stalls are board, but with gaps between boards for airflow. The backs of the stalls are open on upper halfs of the stalls with drop down windows that we can put up in bad weather. I jsut recently put up a nice run in, 18 x 26 that has two sides, the wall is a 3/4 wall from the top under the eaves down to about 2 feet from the ground. This allows for airflow, but plenty of shade and keeps wind and rain off the horses, the sides are down the long way (26'), the ends are both open with a gable at the peak. This is an awesome design and was put up by Carolina Carports(which also did the shell of my barn). Took them about 2 hours to erect and cost about $1600, can't beat that!

Jun. 16, 2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks SA. Sounds cool, do you have pictures? I unfortunately can't imagine things well and do well with pictures.

I'm not building, either. Just curious if anyone has comments on this design.

Jun. 16, 2010, 01:57 PM
My run ins are all two sided and the new barn is as well. Not only does it offer all the protection they require, no horse is ever cornered by a bully. Max air flow and just fantastic. I would never build anything else again.

Go Fish
Jun. 16, 2010, 02:05 PM
I think if you know the prevailing weather patterns for your area and you strategically place the shed accordingly, they are fine. They do provide an open feel for timid horses who may feel threatened by other horses using the shed.

Rio Wild
Jun. 17, 2010, 10:26 AM
ShawneeAcres, I checked out your website and your barn looks really nice. So, Carolina Carports did the building? Where are the stalls from? Thanks!

Jun. 17, 2010, 12:35 PM
I've got a couple of 2 sided sheds and they are working out well. They have boards on the North and West sides because that's where our worst wind and rain come from.

The next one I build will be 2 sided as well.

I find that the horses get along better sharing the 2 sided ones compared to the 3 sided one.