PDA

View Full Version : Can we start talking about our WEG plans?

Lori T
Jun. 15, 2010, 02:00 PM
So I decided just yesterday that if I don't go, I will regret it. The only reason I have been hesitant is because my oldest daughter will be in her junior year of engineering and I didn't want to make plans only to find out she has an exam...but figured, hell, she can explain up front why she can't be in class for a few days!
So I am thinking of leaving on Thursday and driving straight thru the 12 hours. Will probably do the general pass on Friday to take in the vendor village and exhibits, then go for xc on Saturday and then then head home Sunday.
It appears the closest lodging is Louisville. I just found out one of my former pcer's just made reservations, so am waiting to hear back to see if they have room for a few more to share a room with! Otherwise I will make reservations and try to find someone to share it with!
Another option is to drive to Chattanooga and stay with my one of my boarder's family, and then drive with them to watch xc, but am not sure I want to do a 4 hour drive with no time to shop and do the exhibits.
What are everyone's plans? It would be great to do a COTH get together!

maudie
Jun. 15, 2010, 02:04 PM
I live an hour away, so I'm driving down for cross country, marathon, and stadium. I might get a ground pass for a day and just hang out. I also might buy another set of tickets if I have the money.

Oh yeah, I also plan to SHOP

ddashaq
Jun. 15, 2010, 02:22 PM
I live 10 minutes from the park and work at one of the associations housed there, so on the days that it does not take me two hours to get to and from work, I am going to check out the shops! I am not buying tickets to anything since the only thing I wanted to see was XC and I am an interior crossing guard that day. I am very much looking forward to the shopping!

RiverBendPol
Jun. 15, 2010, 04:19 PM
I **MIGHT** have 2 hotel rooms to unload, in Lex, 20 minutes from the KHP. An old pal recently invited me and my crowd to stay with her in Paris, so we may just have to do that.

I bought the full series of tickets for eventing back when they first went on sale but now I don't remember what that means, when I'll get them, where the seats are, etc. TicketMaster is HOPELESS in trying to track down this info, I was on hold for 40 minutes last week, cut off by them 3 times and never got an answer!! Meanwhile they have my deposit. Anyone else in my boat? Misery does love company.

Firefox
Jun. 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
I have tickets to the Freestyle dressage Friday night and XC day and SJ for eventing, staying with my college roomate in Midway KY Cant wait!!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 15, 2010, 04:38 PM
I have tickets to the Freestyle dressage Friday night and XC day and SJ for eventing, staying with my college roomate in Midway KY Cant wait!!

Me too! We will have get together!

I'm driving down on Thursday. Have tickets for eventing dressage on Friday, the Freestyle dressage Friday night, XC and SJ for eventing and then driving home on Monday. My mom's coming down with me (so I may need to be saved by some friends;)) and we are meeting up with my Aunt and Uncle.

Hope the weather is nice! I'm looking forward to seeing some really nice horses and really good riding! Oh...and I do plan on a bit of shopping!:D

TooManyChickens
Jun. 15, 2010, 05:05 PM
Myself and a few friends are driving from the Richmond area on Thursday I think, and staying with one of my friend's parents in Louisville and making the drive every day to the park... Friday is section B of dressage, evening freestyle tix, X/C and stadium.

I realize this is probably a terribly dumb question, but does a ticket to an event also include access to vendors, etc? (In other words, is a 'grounds pass' included in that ticket price?)

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 15, 2010, 05:23 PM
I realize this is probably a terribly dumb question, but does a ticket to an event also include access to vendors, etc? (In other words, is a 'grounds pass' included in that ticket price?)

my understanding is that it does.

tres grey
Jun. 15, 2010, 06:15 PM
My mom & I are going to the Dressage Freestyle + all of Eventing (minus the first day of Dressage). I'm so pumped! I'm a college student, too, and I'm turning everything in super early to go. I'm really hoping there are no critiques on that Friday!

We got a hotel room ~30 minutes from the horse park. I believe we booked it sometime early fall to get it.

PS: As of tomorrow, there are 100 days until the Games!

Threeday33
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'm with you riverbendpol. I can't remember what it means but I know I paid money for the eventing tickets a while back! Maybe someone can help us...

Holly Jeanne
Jun. 16, 2010, 08:37 AM
Look for me at the start of cross country. I'm doing my usual Rolex job there. If anyone needs a hotel room, have you checked into Danville? It's one hour from the horse park.

LSM1212
Jun. 16, 2010, 09:01 AM
I haven't decided yet. I actually live in Louisville so don't need to worry about a hotel and such.

I think I'm going to go on Friday for the vendors/shopping and then Saturday for the XC. That's probably all I can afford!

bambam
Jun. 16, 2010, 11:12 AM
Me and my crew have the all eventing stuff tix too. I believe that means seats for both dressage days, access to xc on Saturday and seats for Sunday (don't know if it includes entry on Wednesday so you can see the jog-up), as well as general entry and access to the vendors all four days.
We will hit the road for KY on Wednesday and come home on Sunday after stadium.

Badger
Jun. 16, 2010, 01:28 PM
Opening ceremonies, all the dressage, and all the eventing! A friend from Germany is flying over for it. We did the Aachen WEG together, and the standing room only experience of seeing Blu Hors Matine's freestyle in person is one of the highlights of my life. We were in tears and the crowd was clapping along with the performance (something my friend said she had never seen in Germany, dressage audiences there are usually very quiet and somber). We made a date then and there to do the Kentucky WEG. Hubby also has tickets but may decided not to do the whole enchilada, and my parents will be there for the eventing. Luckily, got very cheap hotel rooms last year at a weekly rate, thanks to the COTH.

Lori T
Jun. 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
If anyone has a room and are looking for someone to share it, please let me know! It is my 2 daughters and myself!

ivy62
Jun. 16, 2010, 10:12 PM
We are seeing the Dressage freestyle, XC, eventing SJ and the Speed Class on Monday! and are luck enough to be staying on a breeding farm in Georgetown! Was thinking about bringing my bicycle! better then parking.....
Cannot wait!

Peggy
Jun. 17, 2010, 03:18 AM
Our plans are similar to ivy62's. Plus the reining exhibition and the dressage GPS (second session only; banking on them going in reverse order of placing after the regular GP). We are staying in the Fairfield in in Mt Sterling and will be renting a car. I figure if I survived the parking, shuttles, and death marches in Atlanta I should be OK for WEG.

longrun
Jun. 17, 2010, 03:56 PM
I booked our airplane tickets this week and have the eventing series tickets (I have 2 extra if anyone wants them. My mom and dad decided it was too much for them). We got an outrageously expensive room at the Holiday Inn Express and are pulling my 11 year-old and 9 year-old out of school for Wednesday Sept. 29- Monday Oct. 4. There are about 12 of us coming down from our pony club in Massachusetts. I think some are driving but at 18 hours one way, we bit the bullet and opted to fly.

I just keep telling myself it's once in a lifetime. (And, I've only ever been to Ledyard way back when and Bromont young riders back then too - no Rolex, no Badminton, no Burghley. My girls are way too spoiled!)

Polly - you can go to Paris any time - please come to the Games. It would be so fun to see you there and to hang out some. We would let you be an honorary Sherbornite for the time! We can also dream about Em and Doug going to Rolex in a few years - what a cool horse! Saw their stadium round at Valinor and wow! does he have scope!

JulieMcD
Jun. 17, 2010, 04:58 PM
If anyone has a room and are looking for someone to share it, please let me know! It is my 2 daughters and myself!

I have a room booked at the Quality Inn Northwest for 9/30 thru 10/7. It's just me, I'm a college junior. The room has 2 double beds and I would love to find someone to share the room with. But, it might be too small for 3 more people. It was $2,000 for the week. Yikes!

Or, if anyone else is going and has a cheaper place to stay I could share, that would be great. I just won't have a car so there has to be a way for me to get to/from the horse park. I have tickets to a bunch of the events, grand prix freestyle, all the eventing, and the team jumping competitions.

leftbarrelsam
Jun. 18, 2010, 08:32 AM
I wish I could go, but can't. Does anyone know if there will be streaming video available to watch anywhere?

eventersmom
Jun. 18, 2010, 06:02 PM
DD has tickets to the eventing series and will likely pick up tickets to other events later. She's headed to school in Kentucky this fall and will be living 15 minutes from the Horse Park so it's a great opportunity for her to go to everything she can!

Threeday33
Jun. 18, 2010, 07:55 PM
Now I'm even more nervous about not having my tickets yet. Those of you that say you have tickets, did you order them when they first became available and now you actually have them? Did they just show up in your mailbox? I paid the deposit and ordered the tickets but don't have them. Do I need to do something about this or should I just wait for them to show up? Thanks!
Chrissy

TXnGA
Jun. 18, 2010, 08:15 PM
My mom and I are going. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and that it is here in the USA just makes it that much more awesome. Mom and I go to Rolex every year (a mother/ daughter trip), it just seemed right to go to WEG. And all the amazing riders/ horses....

We have tickets to all the eventing, dressage and some of the reining. And I can't think of anything that i need at this time, but I'm sure I will be doing quite a bit of shopping.... how could I resist.

We have a room at the Marriott right up the road from the horse park, where we usually stay during Rolex.

We bought tickets when they first came available- I think through USEF ( I could be wrong because we bought them way back in 07 and chose seating last fall) but haven't seen the tickets yet... curious how that works also.

Can't wait to head north to KY in September. :D:D:D:D:D

CookiePony
Jun. 18, 2010, 09:11 PM
I haven't yet found someone to take my room in Harrodsburg (a friend has offered to put me up)...

Link to my COTH ad is in my sig line. It's about 40 mins from the Horse Park.

And I'm pretty sure Pol is referring to Paris, Kentucky. :D

RiverBendPol
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:40 PM
Now I'm even more nervous about not having my tickets yet. Those of you that say you have tickets, did you order them when they first became available and now you actually have them? Did they just show up in your mailbox? I paid the deposit and ordered the tickets but don't have them. Do I need to do something about this or should I just wait for them to show up? Thanks!
Chrissy

I was so panicked, I emailed customer care at the USEF and asked that exact question. I had ordered, when tix first became any available, had been charged $200, had no hint that I owned tickets. Freaked out I had lost them...My email to the USEF got passed around a little and today I got a response from FEI Games. She had found my order, confirmed it and told me my tickets will be mailed during the first week in July.
Lovely to have that confirmation.

WAIT....TXnGA, "Chose seating". Details, please.......When, how, where? On line? Have I done this??

RiverBendPol
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:53 PM
"...Polly - you can go to Paris any time - please come to the Games. It would be so fun to see you there and to hang out some. We would let you be an honorary Sherbornite for the time! We can also dream about Em and Doug going to Rolex in a few years - what a cool horse! Saw their stadium round at Valinor and wow! does he have scope!..."

LONGRUN! I don't speak French! My pal lives in Paris, KENTUCKY, as Cookie Pony said. I would NEVER go to France and miss the WEG. Please do let me be a Sherbornite, especially since along with Em and Babette, my other traveling companion is my best friend LOLLY. Oh yes, I'm a lucky one.

THANKS for your nice words about Em and Dougie. They are really starting to click. Finally the boy trusts her. I think he'd jump a truck if she asked him now. It has been a beautiful thing to watch.:winkgrin: