PDA

View Full Version : Idea: course photos compilation

tigrrlily04
Jun. 15, 2010, 11:17 AM
I wanted to run an idea past you COTHers to see if you think this would be a valuable resource. There have been a lot of people asking for pics of specific x-country courses at various levels. I thought it might be a good idea to create a web page with people's pictures of competition courses (and stadium courses or dressage rings for that matter too). Then if you are thinking of entering an event, you can look at what was on the course from previous years.

When I walk a course, I always take my digital camera and take a nice picture of each fence, so that I can then review the course after walking it, looking at the pics next to the course map. If other people do this (or were willing to do this going forward), we could get a nice archive of the places that don't have pics posted on their websites.

Thoughts?

PS. if this already exists somewhere let me know! ;)

xitmom
Jun. 15, 2010, 11:22 AM
Some USEA area sites have this already and it is great. For example, here's a link to Area 1's virtual rides:

http://www.area1usea.org/Events/VirtualRides/virtualrides.htm

tres grey
Jun. 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
I know that some venues feature course walks on their websites, but I think one, cohesive website is a wonderful idea! Maybe add (or allow) a section for unrecognized events, too? For those who are trying to decide appropriate venues for the greenies or what not? (IE: Me. :D)

yellowbritches
Jun. 15, 2010, 07:03 PM
xctrygirl had this idea a few years ago and even made a prototype website with a few courses up on it. I'm not sure exactly why it didn't take off, but it was a good idea and her website looked good.

Xctrygirl
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:34 PM
Some other Coth members took the idea on, (of their own ideas) and iots around but not sure if its been kept updated.

~Emily

retreadeventer
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:37 PM
Cheryl M. did it.
crosscountryreview.com I think.

Where's Colliemom? It's in her tagline, or used to be.

tlw
Jun. 16, 2010, 08:23 AM
British Eventing does this on its Facebook wall and it's pretty cool. See: http://www.facebook.com/pages/British-Eventing-Course-Photos/56205599733

inquisitive
Jun. 16, 2010, 09:59 AM
Cheryl M. did it.
crosscountryreview.com I think.

Where's Colliemom? It's in her tagline, or used to be.

That one's just text but people don't update it much any more.

I think the picture site idea came afterward?

Facebook would be really easy and quick (and free) as opposed to a website... though many people don't use FB

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 16, 2010, 01:10 PM
I would absolutely contribute if someone wanted to do this. I go to most events in Va/Md and I always have my camera with me (a phone would do too). Maybe you could write a caption on certain fences about how it rode, or if it caused trouble.

I wrote quite a few reviews for crosscountryreview.com. I thought the idea of the site was good. I guess it's all sort of subjective. If your horse has a certain issue with a type of fence, you might be a little biased in your review.

sdfarm
Jun. 17, 2010, 10:33 PM
It's an excellent idea. Richland has pictures of each fence and where it sits in a sample course. Good example of how it could look.