PDA

View Full Version : Who has tried this product?

ayrabz
Jun. 15, 2010, 08:22 AM
Not sure if Mods will feel this isn't? farm related, but I hope not....
I'm curious if anyone on farm/with septic field, vs. county water has tried, or uses the advertised 'World's Best Cat Litter' that is supposedly 100% biodegradable, made from whole kernel corn, and is supposedly ? safe for flushing with septic systems?
I'd love to hear your insights/thoughts if you indeed flush this product comfortably on your septic system?
property is obviously on the septic system, and while the horse manure will be compostable, all composting I've reviewed discourages animal waste (meat eaters)...so we're wondering if this is the answer (not a trash pick up situation, and not wanting the clumping litter 'dumped' on the property)

TIA!

carolprudm
Jun. 15, 2010, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't flush it....I have seen failed septic systems and the fix is very expensive.

FWIW, I do compost kitty litter in a special heap then spread it on the grass, NOT on the vegetable garden

deltawave
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't put anything in a septic system that didn't absolutely, positively NEED to be put in there.

For what it's worth, I compost chicken poop, dog poop, and cat poop along with the horse poop. By volume, the amount of "carnivore waste" that's mixed in there is probably less than 1%, and I don't see how this is possibly a problem--by the time it's done cooking, the stuff no longer resembles anything but soil. No toxoplasma are going to survive sustained temperatures of 160+ inside my compost piles. :)

As to the inside cat's litter box--I clean it into a paper bag and put it in the trash.

ayrabz
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:26 AM
thanks, guys....I truly see the points being made.
My mom is in her mid 70s, and has only one house cat. I'm really interested in knowing from those who DO use this, and DO use it in a flushing situation via a septic system...since this is advertised as very acceptable with this product. I'm trying to streamline her 'daily walkouts' with the kitty litter dumping issue as there is no trash pick up for her. (just recycleables)
just trying to evaluate what is feasible with this products 'claims'.
Of course, outdoor composting, disposal is a option, but not one I'm investigating in my interest in this inquiry.

:)

deltawave
Jun. 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
Maybe call up a septic service and see what they say? Unless the stuff has been out for a very long time, it's sort of a "no news is good news" sort of thing, I'm thinking--one would not really know if it's a problem until/unless something happened. And with septic systems, there doesn't seem to be any such thing as a "small problem", unfortunately. ;)

wendy
Jun. 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
people at my place of work managed to mess up the plumbing with "totally safe flushable" women's sanitary products; I wouldn't even consider flushing a "clumping" type litter down any plumbing system, can imagine all sorts of nasty clumps forming and clogging up the system.
The product sounds ideal for dumping in a mound for composting.

Aggie4Bar
Jun. 15, 2010, 12:45 PM
I don't have cats, but I was curious. Suffice it to say, the Amazon reviews are enlightening. You might go there for info.

bdj
Jun. 15, 2010, 04:15 PM
My big dumb cat won't use the "World's Best Cat Litter" - I never thought he was that picky about litter until I tried it - and he refused to use the box... ugh. I tried it thinking that I might be able to "compost" it along with the dog poop - no such luck.

I'm way too careful about my septic to contemplate flushing anything that comes out of the litter box - those clumps can be pretty big, so I scoop and bag, but if the litter maintenance is tough for your mom, could she look into using one of the silica gel litters? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750938
You basically only scoop the poop out of the box (though you do sometimes need a specific scoop to sift it out) - the urine is absorbed by the crystals and once they're all saturated (they change color as that happens), you dump the contents of whole box and start fresh. So long as you didn't pick up too many of the crystals, I think you'd be pretty safe in flushing only the actual poop. My folks used this kind of litter for a while and it seemed to work pretty well, though cleaning the saturated crystals wasn't a terribly fun task. I don't remember the box being any smellier than a regular litter box, either.

carolprudm
Jun. 17, 2010, 07:38 PM
How about using a diaper genie to contain the litter prior to disosal?

ayrabz
Jun. 18, 2010, 07:46 AM
thanks again! :) Carol, too funny, as way back when I 'arranged' for mom to get this sweet feline (a success story from a COTH 'giveaways!') I had already suggested something 'similar'....a small 'six pack' sized cooler to scoop up into for less frequent 'dumping' trips....has worked well, but my sainted mom is so much more of a house keeper than I am, and still dumps out usually twice daily! In the winter/icey conditions it worries me for her to venture into the woods so often. Anyway! we're going to try this litter, and at least see if it offers a more biodegradeable solution...and hopefully? might see a 'number two' flushable solution. We'll see! Bottom line is...this kitty is loved intensely, and has the life of Riley with her best friend...my mom.:yes:

saje
Jun. 18, 2010, 09:50 AM
Get her a Cat Genie. (http://www.catgenie.com/) Best thing ever.

dmalbone
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:34 AM
Am I the only one stuck on NO trash pickup? WHAT do people do!?! :eek:

pegasusmom
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:41 AM
We haul to the dump when the trash cans get full!

dmalbone
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:44 AM
So is this not having trash pickup thing common!?! Seriously. :lol: I've never known anyone NOT have trash pickup. Is it because it's not available? I would imagine if recycling was available though that trash would be as well. I swear I end up with an entire garbage can full of kitty litter over one week. My trash guys probably hate me, but I might die without them. :lol:

carolprudm
Jun. 18, 2010, 12:26 PM
We could pay for trash pickup but then I would have to haul the trash to the end of the driveway at the appointed time, and haul the empty can back. It's easier and cheaper to just haul whatever to the "convenience site"

bdj
Jun. 18, 2010, 12:37 PM
Am I the only one stuck on NO trash pickup? WHAT do people do!?! :eek:

I have a dump sticker. My folks, who live one county over, have to buy dump tickets. At my house, Saturday mornings are for dump runs!

Like carolprudm, we could pay for "private" trash pickup, but who wants to drag a bin all the way to the head of the drive and back and still have to pay for the pickup?

(As far as kitty litter is concerned, I scoop frequently, but it goes into it's own small garbage can. If I fill the small can up, that bag goes out into the little junk shed until the next dump run.)

jnel
Jun. 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have three cats, two litter boxes and use sawdust as the litter. I was tired of the smell from the clumping litter and the slimy mess. I use the sawdust for my ferrets litter box so decided to try it with the cats. It doesn't smell and works really well. The best thing is that its so cheap and I just dump it into the compost pile.

Alagirl
Jun. 18, 2010, 01:35 PM
Whole kernel corn cat litter? is nothing sacrate on this earth?! :no:

bad enough they stick it in gas tanks...

As to garbage pickup, it's quiet common not to have the service in rural areas.

Friend of mine opted out of having hers picked up, she has a steep rough drive, quiet long and does not feel like wrestling her carbage can up and down, the dump in the area accepts private drop off for free.

the landfill in my community charges between 5 and 10 bucks a pickup load, if you manage your garbage (separate, minimize etc) you can come out ahead.

ayrabz
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:43 PM
:lol: its not the whole kernel, but is made from it....I have spoken with one of my very 'green' friends, and she swears it breaks down to nothing and has an amazing control on the urine, as in no odor at all. (she dumps on her compost pile)....so, there is that plus.
The trash pick up is limited but available, and costly for her minimum amount, and as mentioned...its at the end of her long driveway 'out on the road'....so, not helpful. The recycleables are on a twice a month, so that makes more sense. The non paper burn items are what is now taken to the dump in infrequent trips. Hey...the BIGGIE beyond the cat litter, is the fact, since its also on a septic, no garbage disposal! Arrrgh! but we're going to try a neat lil' electric kitchen scrap composter for that. :D Google Nature Mill composter if you're interested!