PDA

View Full Version : oxymoron question - affordable fencing ;)

marta
Jun. 14, 2010, 05:41 PM
friend is looking for cheaper options than what the local fence guy offers ($8K to fence in one acre w/ split rail or 3 board type of fence).

since COTHers are so innovative, thought maybe you had some ideas. the fence should be safe enough to keep in a pony and a horse.

also any thoughts on having the posts "stamped in" instead of drilled in with a post digger? someone in the area allegedly charges $4.25 for each "stamped in" post. he claims that it's a better way to go b/c the posts are inserted deeper than if you use a standard post digger.

MistyBlue
Jun. 14, 2010, 08:34 PM
Pounded posts are awesome in many ways: They go in tight and stay tight since they dispace dirt instead of removing it and then trying to pack it back in tightly enough.
They take less than half the time to pound in than to auger a hole, set the post, keep it straight while refilling and then tamping/packing it while you refill.

However, if you have tons of large rocks and/or ledge, expect to either auger and dig out rocks or pound them and count on a certain percentage to shatter if they hit a big rock or ledge.

Posts can be pounded in with either a post pounder (hydraulic) or someone with experience smacking them in with a back hoe bucket. The folks up the road from me pounded in smaller posts with a front loader, but it would have to be a tall tractor to get the loader high enough to smack the post in.

I had my fence recently redone...1/2 the posts were pounded and half augered. (due to type of ground) The pounded posts are tighter than concrete...can't move them at all. Nice to have done if you can. :yes:

The trick to less expensive fencing is finding someone who can do it that won't charge very high and the cost of materials. If you can find good inexpensive posts, that saves a ton. If you clear the land and can have the trees turned to planks or posts, that saves some too.

I have the Ramm fencing on big round posts. The posts were by far the most expensive part, I bought them ages ago and had them shipped with the Ramm fencing. They were $9 and $14 each almost 7 years ago I think. ($9 for 6" and $14 for 8" rounds, 10' long) The ones I used were a tad higher because they're pressure treated. They had better outlive me. :D

The Ramm fencing (and there are a few options that are similar such as Centaur and another one I can't remember the name...both great products too) I have is 4.25" flex rail on top and 5/16 poly-coated wire under that. It was a hella lot cheaper per linear foot for this type, easy as pie to install, little to no upkeep, safe and tough as nails. Looks nice too IMO. If you want ideas on the cost, you or your friend can call Ramm and the Veronica in customer service (nicest person EVAH) will just ask your pasture dimensions and configuration and gates, etc and then can price out many different options for you right over the phone without any sales pressure. And when they price it, they include *everything* including small hardware right down to the lbs of nails you'll need. They estimated mine to the penny and with everything I need to put it up and she was bang on the price and bang on the materials. Very helpful. And the cost was about 30% cheaper than using wood.

Here's a photo of my fencing, it also has one strand of electric rope on top...and that was in the cost estimate too including insulators and charger and everything needed. (you can also do posts and just the electric rope too, works pretty well and even less expensive and won't be blowing in the wind or snappping or sagging like tape can)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/MistyBlue5105/NewfenceandgardenMay2010001.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/MistyBlue5105/NewfenceandgardenMay2010003.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/MistyBlue5105/NewfenceandgardenMay2010004.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/MistyBlue5105/PromandpaddockMay222010002.jpg

deltawave
Jun. 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
I have 3 fenced paddocks totaling about 8 acres, total cost was quite a bit less than your friend was quoted for her ONE paddock. And mine includes everything: labor, parts, gate, rental of equipment, chargers . . . of course most of the labor was my own. ;)

Electrobraid, baby. :yes:

marta
Jun. 14, 2010, 10:20 PM
i'm familiar with electrobraid. had it at the old boarding barn. there is a place down the road from my current boarding facility that has electrobraid with one board on top. looks fantastic.

i've sent the link to this thread to the friend so she can read it on her own.

MistyBlue
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:39 PM
Delta, a lot of the cost will have to do with location. ;) Marta is in NJ, assuming her friend is also. Pretty expensive state...labor or anything bought in state will be high.

I paid about the same amount Marta's friend was quoted to put up about the same amount of fencing. AND...that was labor *only.* I had every bit of materials right down to the staples and nails, etc. This area sucks for labor pricing, materials aren't much better. :no:

deltawave
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
Fencing material, at least, is set by Electrobraid and shipped from Canada. Naturally posts, concrete, labor, equipment rental, etc. would certainly be expected to vary. But one giant economy with Electrobraid is not having to put posts every 8 or 10 feet, and that applies no matter where you are. :)

Dalemma
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:51 PM
I have 3 fenced paddocks totaling about 8 acres, total cost was quite a bit less than your friend was quoted for her ONE paddock. And mine includes everything: labor, parts, gate, rental of equipment, chargers . . . of course most of the labor was my own. ;)

Electrobraid, baby. :yes:

I also have Electrobraid........did a 5 acre parcel......installed it myself.......I was very reasonable.

Dalemma

Meredith Clark
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:58 PM
I have a combo of pre-existing wood posts, T-Posts (capped.. as to not start another thread like on off course!) and electric tape.

I have the wide white tape and I really like it.

I considered Electro Braid but I can drive down the road to Tractor Supply and get tape as needed and I was able to install it myself, I would have needed a few more hands for electro braid.

deltawave
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:23 AM
I put in my Electrobraid virtually single-handed . . . just 40-year-old, non-handy me and a couple of battery-powered tools. :yes: Did have some help from my husband setting posts. And I quickly discovered that pounding T-posts is not a job for which I'm suited, after giving myself a concussion with a post pounder! :lol:

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jun. 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
Find a construction person with a boom--pushed the posts in like butter. Almost too quickly. Of course this was in the spring (i.e. soft ground). Same thing for the t-posts. We did all the posts for the new pasture in about an hour I think. Went wood, t-post, t-post, wood and braced wood in the corners. No cement was used. T-posts were capped.

It's not my place, I was just helping, but I will say putting up the 5 strands of fencing and tensioning took much longer than setting the posts. They did four strands of (barbless) heavy-gauge wire and white tape along the top. Second from the bottom and the tape are hot. The tape was easier to work with than the heavy-gauge wire.

This was a very reasonably priced fence. I'm sure I will get blasted for saying this about barbless, but it seems very safe too. Lots of lines, tight, but with some bounce or give, and hot. Tape adds great visability.

Grasshopper
Jun. 15, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have one small pasture fenced with t-posts with the Horsegard tape and post sleeves. I did it myself (including pounding the t-posts), it was affordable, and it has held up really well and looks nice (I used brown). The only reason I haven't done more of it is that it doesn't keep the dogs out. The rest of the pasture fencing is field fence (already there when we got the place, though eventually I'd love to switch to horse-safe mesh) with Horsegard tape on top to keep the horses off the fence.

AnotherRound
Jun. 15, 2010, 02:49 PM
Anyone have pics of their electrobraid?

NoDQhere
Jun. 15, 2010, 04:14 PM
Horse Guard Fence! We have miles of it. Easy to install, economical and SAFE for the horses.

www.horseguardfence.com