PDA

View Full Version : Reoccuring fleas?

katie+tru
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:56 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like fleas have been stubborn as ever the past couple years? My late dog had hardcore fleas 2 or 3 years ago, and our two house cats have had a minimal amount almost the past year. We had a break from them in early spring but they're definitely back now. We've given both of them Frontline Plus every month since October I believe it was. My cat, for example, just had her most recent dose the first week of this month, yet just 10 minutes ago I combed her and got 3 fleas. Certainly not an infestation, but what the heck? They do not wander around outside and we vacuum regularly.

However... and this factor is certainly not helping... I've started working at a dog day care/boarding kennel and I'm quite sure that I could bring fleas home from there. But wouldn't the Frontline take care of it? What else can we do? I saw Valley Vet sells pellets that you put in your vacuum that help kill even more fleas as you vacuum... do they work? We've used carpet/furniture sprays before and they seem to help.

Sorry if this is too non-horse related... can't seem to find any good advice besides using Frontline and vacuuming a lot.

SkipHiLad4me
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:51 PM
Try switching to one of the other topical flea products. Frontline just flat out stopped working on my dogs a few years back and I had to switch to K9Advantix. No problems after that - although now I use more of a "natural" flea control program.

You can also get products that contain borax or diatomaceous earth to put down in your carpets, around baseboards, etc to help control fleas. This might help you if there are fleas lurking in the house that the pets keep picking back up.

katie+tru
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:12 PM
Okay... but I have cats. lol The dog died 2 years ago. Are you saying that fleas develop immunity to a product? If so, what other product can I use on cats?

SkipHiLad4me
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:55 PM
The Frontline company says no but in my experience, and in the experience of some others I know, yes - the fleas appeared to become immune to the frontline :yes: Advantage is another option for cats (sorry I didn't read thoroughly!) that you could try or Revolution. Check with your vet to see what other products they offer.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-All-in-One-Flea-Remedy/999012.aspx
Here is one of the products that can be used for carpets, floors, etc that helps keep fleas at bay. This particular product can also be used on the pet itself.

IFG
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:16 PM
We found this stuff to work great to kill fleas in the house:

http://www.fleabuster.com/

Also, a natural alternative to flea bombs (which did not work for us).