PDA

View Full Version : Working Student Question

ponyxjd
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:29 PM
I've just started looking for a working student position for the summer, and now that I'm thinking about it I have no idea what to expect in terms of well... anything. Of course every barn has something different to offer, but can anyone shed some light on topics such as...

-What do WSs do after they close up the barn in the evening?
-What kind of relationship do WSs have with the trainers?
-What kind of relationships do WSs have with the other WSs? (Is it competitive, friendly, etc)
-How long should it take for a WS to adjust to the system of a new barn?
-Are WSs matched in ability to the types of horses they ride?
-If you bring your own horse, how many times a week should you expect to ride him?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as I think about this. Thanks in advance.

TheBrightSide06
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:35 PM
I've just started looking for a working student position for the summer, and now that I'm thinking about it I have no idea what to expect in terms of well... anything. Of course every barn has something different to offer, but can anyone shed some light on topics such as...

-What kind of relationships do WSs have with the other WSs? (Is it competitive, friendly, etc)
-If you bring your own horse, how many times a week should you expect to ride him?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as I think about this. Thanks in advance.

Every WS barn is different! I'm a WS right now, so I will answer the questions!

-We eat dinner and sleep! Sometimes we stay up to watch movies or we'll go out to dinner, but we're pretty tired by the end of the day,
-The relationship with the trainer here is very good!!
-WS are all friends! We have a total blast
-I've been a WS for 2 weeks and I adjusted after a few days.
-We ride horses of our level or higher. We don't get put on horses we aren't ready for.
-I brought my horse, Kobie, and he gets ridden 6-7 days per week. So every day pretty much!

Hope this helped! Again, all barns are different, this is just from the one I'm at.
Good luck!
-Em

ponyxjd
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
-Is it normal for a WS to have to pay the trainer for room/board?
-How is a WS fed?

Kcisawesome
Jun. 15, 2010, 11:43 AM
It is different in every situation, but I'm in a working student position for the summer, I'll awnser according to my current situation.

Whatever I want, I have an aparment 10mins from the farm, I sometimes try to go out and have some sort of a social life, but mostly I eat, pass out and wake up to do it all again :)

Awesome. My trainer is fantastic! It's much like being a normal student. Except with a lot more stuff to clean inbetween lessons!

I'm currently the only WS at this barn, but the other students are all super friendly and helpful. Everyone is constantly giving everyone else favors, it's great!

The first couple weeks were EXHAUSTING!!!! But I've been here for about a month and a half and now things are pretty routine and I'm starting to find energy and time for myself.

yes? I don't ride/train trainers horses, I'm riding/training boarders horses and horses from farms nearby.

My horse is a prelim schoolmaster in training to be an intermediate horse. I ride her 6 days a week..often twice a day. (walk hills in the morning, flat in the evening on certain days). I also have a training horse that I get on about 5 days a week. If my chores take the whole day, I just ride my horses after evening feeding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Is it normal for a WS to have to pay the trainer for room/board?

yes. my deal is, my work pays off my 5 lessons a week and helps toward paying off board. I have to figure out my apartment.

-How is a WS fed?

Lots of ramen ^_^ Actually I'm doing pretty well right now 'cause mum came to visit and decided I'm too skinny so we went shopping.

Overall? If you like farm-work, being outside and sweaty all day and loads of horses and get a sympathetic trainer who pays attention to you, its FANTASTIC! But don't let yourself become a slave to a trainer who doesn't pay attention to what you need/want or how much you're working. And make SURE that you can get days off once a week or two. As awesome as it can be, you'll get burned out if you don't plan me-time.

ponyxjd
Jun. 17, 2010, 12:07 AM
-How much money should a WS bring with them?