PDA

View Full Version : no-climb fencing

TB Fan
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:25 PM
I am investigating some fencing options for my property. We purchased a great house on 8 acres and are in the process of clearing, building a barn, etc etc. Does anyone have any experience with the "no-climb" type of fencing. I saw some over the weekend and kind of liked it. The property, although lightly wooded, already has several paddocks delineated by stone walls. I want to utilize the pre-defined areas. I am looking for something that I can put along the stone walls on the interior, thereby still maintaining the look of the stone walls. Anyone?

Go Fish
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:31 PM
I won't use anything else. I do put a board top and bottom with a string of hot wire on top. I raise foals so place the bottom board fairly close the ground so foals can't get a foot under it. Also, the board adds a visibility factor for foals charging around.

The boards help keep the fencing from sagging.

It also keeps the goats in (for the most part).

ADM7040
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:19 PM
I will always have no-climb fence as a perimeter fence for my farm. My last farm had beautiful white 3 rail PVC fence that did NOTHING to keep my awful neighbors' dogs out of my fields and away from my horses and dogs. Eventually we added the no-climb and perimeter fenced in 40 acres, no more dogs and no more problem neighbors. My new farm (only 6.5 acres now) has no-climb as the perimeter fence and electric tape to divide the paddocks. We are in a much more crowded area; the no-climb perimeter allows me to let my dogs have the run of the farm and ensure that other dogs and people stay off the farm and safely away from the horses.

The no-climb needs to be properly tensioned to look good. We had it professionally installed on both properties, one installation was better done than the other. Please make sure your fence installer understands that the fence must be properly tensioned. True no-climb is much harder to install than the lightwieght welded wire fence that many homeowners use to make their post and board fences safe for fencing in dogs.

Catersun
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:54 PM
we installed our own, and tensioned it by pulling it with a truck. got it VERY tight and it looks very nice. we finished ours with a strand of 2 inch polly tape 6 inches above the top. give very nice visibliity and keeps horses from grazing over the fence.

SMF11
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:57 PM
My favorite kind of fencing. Highly recommend it. Since someone above mentioned it, DEFINITELY don't get the welded kind, it falls apart. The woven kind does not.

TB Fan
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:10 PM
Thank you all for the input. I appreciate it. Its so hard to know with all of the options out there. I think adding electric tape along the top is a great idea.

Catersun
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
Thank you all for the input. I appreciate it. Its so hard to know with all of the options out there. I think adding electric tape along the top is a great idea.

It made me feel MUCH better about the first time we turned everyone out on it.. there was NO question where that fence was. My plan into add another strand of poly tape 6 inches higher to bring the fence to a full 5 feet tall, but at this point it's not a priority as they respect it very well as is at 4'6. I wanted the no climbs to fence other peoples dogs out adn my dogs IN. it would work great if my smarty pants puppy didn't realize he could sneak right under the driveway gate. *sigh* the other dogs respect the gate, he's just a little too smart for his own good.

bludejavu
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:34 PM
Our experience was quite different. We had approximately 25 acres in various paddocks and pastured fenced in it, some to hold retirees, other areas to hold broodmares & foals, and a few paddocks to hold our show horses. Over the course of about three to four years, the stuff took a beating. We had Red Brand non-climb professionally installed, with a top board and electric wire. It didn't stop the horses from kicking and pawing at it and one very big broodmare rolled into it on the very first day after installation and bucked it out. We discovered you can only restretch it just so much and then you're stuck with what you've got. You couldn't pay my husband to have it put up again. We now have solid four board fencing pretty much everywhere and if a board breaks, it's a simple replacement.

NMK
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:36 PM
Nothing gets in, and nothing gets out. Love this fencing. Be sure to the get the black zinc coated version, will not rust and has a 30 year warranty. I believe it might also be available in green. Mine is black and it just "disappears."

Nancy

Desert Topaz
Jun. 14, 2010, 05:26 PM
My horses always pull their shoes off on the no-climb.

Kate66
Jun. 14, 2010, 05:39 PM
We have used Red-brand on all our perimeter fencing. It has been up for > 7 years and looks as good as the day it went up. Never had any accident of any type on it. Critical that you make sure you get the horse mesh as opposed to anything bigger. It's the 2" mesh you need, anything bigger you can get a leg through. We had one section about 100' long that belonged to the neighbor with the 4" x 4" spacing. One of the mares got her leg through, panicked and ripped it to the bone - really sickening.

Kate66
Jun. 14, 2010, 05:40 PM
My horses always pull their shoes off on the no-climb.

What spacing do you have? I thought all the "no climb" fencing has 2" spacing which your horse couldn't get it's foot into.

Catersun
Jun. 14, 2010, 05:49 PM
2x4 inch is what we have.

bludejavu
Jun. 14, 2010, 06:11 PM
Catersun we had the 2" mesh as well and I remember a few pulled shoes. I think they would kick at it, one end of a shoe would catch on the wire and off it would come. We loved our no-climb when it was first installed - it looked gorgeous. Time was the telling factor for us.

ETA - sorry Catersun, I mean to say Desert Topaz instead.

Catersun
Jun. 14, 2010, 06:21 PM
my gang is barefoot ;-) and the youngest being 14, we have a pretty mellow bunch, the electric tape keeps them OFF the fence too so no one really hangs out near it.

molliwog
Jun. 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
Our 5 acres is fenced and cross-fenced with non-climb. I love the stuff, and would never go back to post and rail.

That said, you do need to run a strand of hot tape (and our charger packs a wallop) around the top and middle to prevent the horses from rubbing/scratching. A board across the top is nice, but certainly not an absolute requirement. We rigged up a come-along to tension it. Also, we have one pasture with a fairly steep hill, and it was easy to install on un-level ground- we just tensioned it in small sections.

I also really like the fact that it keeps other things OUT of my pastures (like neighbor kids, loose horses, random dogs...) since we are in a reasonably suburban area.

In 6 years, I've only had one horse pull their shoe off on the no-climb, and it was a boarder's horse with a specialty shoe with a bit of a trailer on the back. I'm pretty sure the trailer part got caught in the fence.

Desert Topaz
Jun. 15, 2010, 11:23 AM
What spacing do you have? I thought all the "no climb" fencing has 2" spacing which your horse couldn't get it's foot into.

I have the standard 2X4 no-climb. It's as others said, the end of the shoe would catch on the mesh. And of course they'd do this when my farrier was out of town.

Fencing can be such a headache.

NMK
Jun. 15, 2010, 11:32 AM
I've had it for six years with shod horses...never seen a shoe missing because of the fence...but my no climb does "move" or shift if something gets caught. I also have all paddocks done in 5' tall no climb, so I do not use electric or a top rail. It's hard for them to lift their head over so they don't bother with it.

Nancy

Cielo Azure
Jun. 15, 2010, 05:24 PM
I love no climb -have it in my foal paddock right now. Sandwhiched between wood fencing.

Too bad about how expensive it is.

However, It is was between no-climb or 4 board fence, I would go for the wood with electric wire on the top board.

Alice
Jun. 15, 2010, 05:40 PM
We have the Red Brand horse no climb mesh where the horse fence runs along the yard - which is fenced for the dogs.

I'm not a huge fan of the look, but I think it is a pretty safe fencing. I think my horse rolled and got stuck against it, because I came home to a broken post and 3 areas where the fence has been pushed out. Neither horse nor pony have a scratch on them.

Would be nice to have perimeter fencing in the mesh, that is for sure. To no longer have to worry about the neighbour dogs would be awesome.

wsmoak
Jun. 17, 2010, 12:19 PM
Those of you who are losing shoes... do you have no-climb on a shared fenceline?

I'm planning to fence an acre in 5' tall no-climb, because I'm paranoid and I want at least one pasture that I can put anything in with a reasonable expectation of it staying in, and everything else (neighbors have big dogs...) staying out.

I'm guessing a top board is overkill when the fence is 5' tall, but I'll probably do that too. :) And electric, to keep them from leaning and/or chewing on the fence.

RougeEmpire
Jun. 17, 2010, 12:35 PM
I use no-clime, LOVE it. My stallion goes out with his gelding buddy every day in a large turnout with 6 foot no-clime over post and board fencing with three stands of electric wire. Nothing gets in (dogs, cat, critters) and nothing gets out (horses). The stuff its self wont stand up to full on abuse of a large animal, it will stretch and bend. It will ereduce injuries from kicking, running through and keep predator animals out (save for maybe a bear or something). Its very hard for a horse to hurt themself on it and the application of hot wire (or tape or rope) keeps horses "off" the fence.

RougeEmpire
Jun. 17, 2010, 12:37 PM
Those of you who are losing shoes... do you have no-climb on a shared fenceline?

I'm planning to fence an acre in 5' tall no-climb, because I'm paranoid and I want at least one pasture that I can put anything in with a reasonable expectation of it staying in, and everything else (neighbors have big dogs...) staying out.

I'm guessing a top board is overkill when the fence is 5' tall, but I'll probably do that too. :) And electric, to keep them from leaning and/or chewing on the fence.

Electric on fences makes for better neighbors! Yes no clime will grab a shoe, but they should be staying off the fence in the first place to be honest.

IFG
Jun. 17, 2010, 12:41 PM
Have the Red Brand 2X4 non-climb, 5' high with electric tape along the top. Installed it ourselves using a come-along. No problems in nearly 3 years. I love it.

IFG
Jun. 17, 2010, 12:43 PM
Forgot to add, when I boarded, and the farmer had field fence (4" X 4") with no electric, my horse did lose a few shoes. Once we figured out the problem, the farmer added a strand of electric and no more problems!