PDA

View Full Version : Barns in Fredericksburg VA

sarah88
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have any information on boarding barns in Fredericksburg Va? i know of a few but nowhere i have found i would be comfortable taking my horse. I would like to stay withen 20 minutes of University of Mary Washington. I am open to a number of different situations but good care, probably a smaller barn (i want the people feeding my horse to KNOW my horse by more than a nameplate on his stall) doesnt need to be fancy but safe, a ring, field/trails where i can do conditioning are a must. would like to stay under 500 but from what ive seen in the area its a lot of not much for a lot of $... so im somewhat flexible Pluses: lights, indoor/covered arena, ability to work off some board, other eventers would be great too! (but im not necessarily looking for an eventing geared barn as i dont think theyre really are any in the area! :) i have had less than ideal boarding situations before, and had to move the pony home, but i am really hoping to find something that would work. i would also be open to a small farm with just a few boarders as opposed to a large operation, but i really need to find out what is out there before i narrow down my specifics too much!
Thanks!

LisaB
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:39 PM
Uhh, 20 minutes will get you just outside of the city. Ain't gonna happen.
PM PiaffePrincess98, she's from the area.

Eventer55
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:49 PM
What Lisa said. . . having said that I would reccomend Win Green, but it ain't gonna happen in 20 mins. More like 35 or more.

Also, there's a big place in Fdrk'sbrg, can't remember the name, Lisa help me. It's a hunter barn I think.

sarah88
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:51 PM
well i know of a few w/in 20 mins of UMW (but like i said before not much im interested in- Eventer55 i think the one you may be thinking of is Hazelwilde? its totally hinter w/ mandatory lessons, which im not crazy about...

Eventer55
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:52 PM
ok, it's Hazelwild on Harrison Road. Anyone know anything about it?

Sorry, we posted at the same time. Again Win Green sounds like what you're looking for, but too far?

avezan
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:35 PM
Journey's End Farm in Sumerduck. Its probably a little farther than 20 min. No indoor, but small, individual, personalized care. Give Linda call.
http://users.rcn.com/ffragale/Journeysend.html

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:43 PM
Wingreen is a hike, but I would board there just for the hills!

There is a beautiful place that was just built on the corner of my road. Money is no object for these people, yet I never see anyone riding. I know they do boarding. I'll see what I can find out. There is a nice ring and lots of pasture.

I would offer our place, since we have an extra stall, but we just don't have the pasture to support another horse. We are no more than 20 minutes on Rt 17 towards Warrenton from UMW; my dad works for the University. I would suggest finding a place off of 17. Yes, the lights can be annoying, but it's still not as bad as sitting through Rt 3 or Massapponnax traffic.

Hazelwild is the only place with a nice indoor that I know of.
I'll ask my dressage trainer, she knows lots of places in the area.

Would you do field board?

Eventer55
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
Plus at Win Green I love the peace and quite. The xc course is great, in fact I'm going there tomorrow. :D

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 14, 2010, 05:05 PM
Same here Eventer55! What time will you be there? I'm going about mid-morning.

LisaB
Jun. 15, 2010, 07:35 AM
Wingreen does some boarding but mostly for retired horses. But it's such a pain to get through rte. 3!
You might have luck finding a small family farm. I would try looking up rte 17. www.horsetalkmagazine.com has some classifieds as well as virginiaequestrian.com And Booth feeds up 17 might be able to help too.

Eventer55
Jun. 15, 2010, 08:21 AM
Same here Eventer55! What time will you be there? I'm going about mid-morning.

It's probably too late, but I'll be there around 1:00 or so. It would have been fun to meet you. Maybe we should set up a meet and ride time. I'm always looking for a partner as I won't ride alone. Pm me if you're interested for another time another day.

Janet
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:39 AM
What about Bayberry? I haven't been there in decades, so I don't know what it is like now. But they used to have good eventing facilities.

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 15, 2010, 03:12 PM
It's probably too late, but I'll be there around 1:00 or so. It would have been fun to meet you. Maybe we should set up a meet and ride time. I'm always looking for a partner as I won't ride alone. Pm me if you're interested for another time another day.

Yeah definitely. I was there at about 10:30, just taking my semi-retired eventer out for a run. He's mostly doing dressage now and some jumping. Man was he puffing! I spent more time in between jumping just letting him catch his breath. But he needs to get out once in awhile and I think he had a lot of fun. I miss competing him.

NRB
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:38 PM
Hi, I lived in the area for 10 years.

ooo Sammy is retired, what a stunner he was. Sorry to hear that.

Anyho I boarded at Broadview, small dressage barn 30 min south off exit 118 on 95. No indoor. Lovely people.

Eventers are few and far between.

Hazelwild, we had 2 eventing boarders come from there, did not like the place. I think you HAD to take lessons from them. Could have changed by now. Not the only indoor, there are at least 2 on the road off of rt 1 south, same road as the KOA (and a highschool I think) One is a tiny tiny indoor on palce that was listed for sale ages ago. Older house yada yada. Can't recall the second one, might be that I am making that up. But there were several places along that road. The old Stirling Horse Center on the same rd.

thought Bayberry was closing down, or was that they were shutting down the summer camp after all these years?

Yes you are not going to find anything closer than 30 min. But there are scads of little places here and there. Lindsey what about the 2 indoors at your old boarding barn neck of the woods? carla dibono's old place and one next to it> OR is that Erin Gramps hunter barn?

I'm babbling. Check the boarding barn listings also in the March Horse edition of the Free Lance Star. As well as the Va Horse Talk Mag.

TimelyImpulse
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:59 PM
Kelly's Ford Equestrian Center http://www.innatkellysford.com/Boarding.html

has indoors/outdoor arenas, plus a XC course designed by Nina Fout. BN & N jumps. There is also about 500 acres of trails to ride, with tons of options for conditioning. Plus, Phelps Wildlife Preserve is also available (free entry) for a bunch of trails, just make sure you have 4 shoes/boots on your horse due to gravel roads.

Fox Corner Farm on Kellogg Mill Rd (Grace Hodges) has an indoor, big sand ring, but not a lot of ride out. She sometimes has openings.

Cedar Crest on Poplar Rd doesn't have a ring per se, but does have a big grass field with jumps, and I know they will generally reduce board for work.

Moon Valley... uh, do you know Fred? :-) Big lit ring though.

http://www.windingcreekstable.com/ Very small, very laid back. Zero drama. Has a lit bluestone arena. Some hilly rideout, on 10 acres next to arena. Stall board. Owner/manager has just started going to horse trials.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head. Although, if you don't mind a little redneck and a whole lot cheaper than $500 within 6 miles of downtown Fredericksburg, PM me.

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
I was going to suggest Cedar Crest since I know the owner, but I wasn't sure how the place was. I've never been back there, but my trainer teaches someone there and doesn't have anything bad to say.

I would not try Fox Corner. I did not bring it up for certain reasons, one being that the once sand ring has not been kept up and is now covered in grass. The place next to that is nice, but doesn't have a lot of acreage and there is only one other english rider there that I know of.

Kelly's Ford is nice, but I thought it might be too far for what the OP wanted. But it's worth the trip I think.

NRB- I have not been to my old barn in Massapponnax for many years. I heard that the Dibona's place got an indoor, but I didn't know they had left. It was a nice place even w/o the indoor.

The other place is Erin Gramps, who does hunters. Their indoor collapsed this winter because of the heavy snow, so I think they're re-doing it.

There is one other place on the corner of Spotted Tavern and another road near us I cannot think of. I think they breed QH's, but I know of two english riders that boarded there and liked it.

Eventer55
Jun. 16, 2010, 08:40 AM
Yes, Kelly's Ford is nice and Jim Moore is now running an eventing program there. They run 2 small events every year and a nice xc course for BN and training.

TimelyImpulse
Jun. 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
www.crimsonhill.vpweb.com I don't know anything about this place beyond having previously looked at it to purchase. Great location though.

PP-- is the place you're talking about the yellow farm on the corner of Spotted Tavern and Hartwood Rd., the place with all the Cleveland Bays?

Entourage
Jun. 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
The place next to Fox Corner has quite a bit of acreage, the fields are mostly in the side/back. There's more than one english rider (myself being one of them) and the ring/care is fabulous but stalls are full with a waiting list. None of us ever leave we love it so much :) Trameuri (def. did not spell that right) Sport Horses across from Curtis Lake was recently looking for boarders, I would try there!

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 16, 2010, 12:55 PM
www.crimsonhill.vpweb.com I don't know anything about this place beyond having previously looked at it to purchase. Great location though.

PP-- is the place you're talking about the yellow farm on the corner of Spotted Tavern and Hartwood Rd., the place with all the Cleveland Bays?

That must be it. I knew they bred some type of horse. It has red roofs on the barns I think.

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
The place next to Fox Corner has quite a bit of acreage, the fields are mostly in the side/back. There's more than one english rider (myself being one of them) and the ring/care is fabulous but stalls are full with a waiting list. None of us ever leave we love it so much :) Trameuri (def. did not spell that right) Sport Horses across from Curtis Lake was recently looking for boarders, I would try there!

I stand corrected. I know of one woman who just moved there in the last year and she rides dressage. I've never seen another english rider in the ring. Does the farm have a name?

I remember looking at a horse for sale there long before I moved to the area. I used to live on the other side of Stafford. I've heard nice things about the woman who runs it now.

Off topic, but I'm excited to hear from people in Fredericksburg. Are you all eventers too? My place is on Mt Olive Rd. I would love to have another eventer as a boarder, but we just don't have the pasture to support another horse. We have one boarder right now who helps doing chores, but she's in high school and kind of seems to be getting out of riding.

Kyldeere519
Jun. 16, 2010, 03:32 PM
I went to Mary Wash and I looked into boarding my horse at Hazlewild. They wanted me to take lessons there, and they also wanted my horse to be available as a lesson horse. The good news is that UMW will waive the "no cars for freshman" rule for most of the riders. Hope you find a good barn!

TimelyImpulse
Jun. 16, 2010, 07:07 PM
My friend Jessee boards there, he's into reining now, totally western riding, but we've corrupted him enough to go on fun hunter paces with us. He loves it there too, excellent care.

I'd love to event, but the jumps scare the bejeoobus out of me, so I volunteer as a XC fence judge instead. I've done Rolex, Fair Hill, and Rubicon this year, and went as a spectator and watched my horse I sold go BN at VA (of course, it rained).

I do foxhunt though, and would love to have other people to ride with for fun or schooling, anytime. My problem is I won't ride alone, because I promised my husband not to, but I'm finding it hard to fit ride time in when everyone gets home, that mom and kids thing, if you know what I mean. During the day, I have truck and trailer so will travel!

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread!!!! I'll keep my ears open for any other boarding possibilities in Fredericksburg, but honestly, for what you seem to want, there are not that many options close in.