PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Boarding near Dry Ridge, KY, AGAIN!

Auburn
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
My BO is losing her farm. Her husband, who has an MBA, cannot find a job in KY. My BO is a RN and cannot find full time work here, either.

So, they have decided to move back to VA Beach, where there seems to be employment available.

The farm is a back yard facility. There is a small outdoor arena and an outside schooling jump course on the side of a hill. The BO events, too. It is the first place where I have boarded in KY, where my horse has not coliced. I finally found a feeding program that works for her. Tess is on soaked beet pulp, suppliments and free choice hay. I have no problem supplying the beet pulp or extra hay.

Many folks in this state have issues with boarding mares. I need a place that does not discriminate based on her being a mare. She needs a place which will supply turn out, too.

I know that I will probably never find a situation like I currently have for her. Finding someone who shares your philosophy of horse care is very rare.

However, the COTH family is special. You seem to have the ability to help folks, who are in difficult situations.

If any of you know of a place for Tess, please pm me? I am willing to drive up to 45 min. to an hour to get there.

Also, my current BO is fine with me bringing in my dressage instructor. Hopefully, the facility would let her teach me there. I know it is a lot to ask, but this dressage instructor is amazing.

scubed
Jun. 14, 2010, 12:08 PM
Aren't you half way between Cinnci and Lexington? Maybe I'm just confused not being from there, but seems like there would be lots of options. Have you asked your dressage instructor if there are facilities she would recommend or also teaches at?

Auburn
Jun. 14, 2010, 06:41 PM
scubed,

You are correct. I live half way between Cincy and Lexington. Grant Country is a black hole, where stabling or instructors are concerned.

Even though my instructor lives in Covington, KY, she teaches in Indiana and near Bardstown, KY, mostly. She teaches at a facility in Dry Ridge, but it is a non-boarding facility.

When we moved here, we never thought that finding a place would be so difficult. We thought that we had lined up the perfect stable in the area, but they changed their minds about taking mares.

If you want a good eventing stable, you need to go to Lexington, Louisville or Cincy. I keep hoping that I can find another backyard barn, but it does not look good.

MaybeMorgan, thank you for the pm. I will look into the facility where you board.

tuppysmom
Jun. 15, 2010, 12:57 AM
bushkn, who used to post on COTH, is near Bardstown.

Auburn
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:17 AM
Tuppysmom,

Bardstown is about an hour and a half drive from Dry Ridge. My instructor drives down there to teach. For some reason, she doesn't mind driving that far.

I am hoping to find something in Georgetown, but would go to Lexington. For an example, Cathy Weischhoff is about an hour and fifteen minutes from here. Diana Rich, who lives outside of Cincy, is a little over an hour from here.

I know that there have to be some eventers in Northern KY, but I cannot find any.

Having been at the backyard place, with the great BO, Tess and I have been spoiled. I wish the job market here was not so poor and that they could keep their farm! It is bad for Tess and me, but they are the ones who need jingles and prayers.

Thanks to MaybeMorgan, I do have a lead on a place, which is about a 40 minute drive. I will be calling them today to see if they have an opening.

All other ideas are welcome!

caryledee
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
Aren't you half way between Cinnci and Lexington? Maybe I'm just confused not being from there, but seems like there would be lots of options. Have you asked your dressage instructor if there are facilities she would recommend or also teaches at?

It is not that easy! It took me about a year to find a new boarding facility in Lexington. The racing industry drives prices up. Lots of farms don't want people riding because of the insurance. It's hard to find places with a decent arena. The good places are usually full with a waiting list.

Auburn-have you looked or placed an ad on Craigslist? I've seen several barns on there lately.