PDA

View Full Version : Using converter plug on LQ for 'normal' plug in

LMH
Jun. 14, 2010, 08:55 AM
When you use a converter plug on an LQ to be able to plug into a standard plug, if you use A/C (for example) can that fry the plug?

I always thought if you overloaded a breaker would flip.

Twice now I have had to use a converter plug, had no issues in using A/C and some lights, fridge, etc.

BUT when I unplug there is a brown place in one of the holes on the face of the LQ plug.

Is this related to the converter plug or do I have a bigger issue?

Tom King
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
How many amps you can pull through a normal "Edison" receptacle-like we us in houses-will depend entirely on how it is supplied on its circuit. Some will be 15 amps and some 20 if you are lucky. The normal RV plug, like the one on your LQ, is built to handle 30 amps.

Drawing less amps will not hurt the plug but you may not be able to run the A/C and anything else that draws much current, like the microwave, at the same time. If you try to draw more amps than the circuit you are plugged into, it should simply trip the breaker. Turn the A/C off when you want to run the microwave-especially if you don't know where the breaker box for the receptacle you are plugged into is located.

Sounds like there was some arcing inside the receptacle. That's never a good thing, but it was probably not a good tight connection.

Frank B
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:14 AM
Your question is a bit vague, but that "brown place" sounds like a dangerous level of overheating due to an excessive load or a bad connection. This is a fire hazard and should be checked out by a competent electrician or the trailer dealer.

Relying on circuit breakers or fuses to determine if a load is excessive is a dangerous practice. Find out the rating of your outlets and make certain they are above the load specified on the nameplate of whatever device you are plugging into them.

LMH
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:49 AM
I was told I could operate it as I mention below-but I now think I was misinformed based on what I have been reading.

I believe the A/C is a 13,000 BTU. (sorry I still don't understand all the numbers and how they relate).

I had the fridge on power (but could use gas for that in the future).

From what I now understand, the A/C and fridge would have been too much.

What I don't understand is why the breaker didn't flip? Unless the brown is from a loose connection and not from too much stuff being used?

I have a Honda eu3000 generator-would this be sufficient to run what I listed? If so, I can just use that in the future if 30amp plugs are unavailable.

The dealer mentioned arcing-where would the connection not have been tight? I double checked the connection at the trailer and it seemed to be seated properly and tight.

Would a lose connection at the power source cause arcing?

Also, now that I see the brown, I assume this means the power cord is damaged and needs to be replaced? Or can an electrician test it to know for sure?

Tom King
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:23 PM
I was talking about a connection inside the receptacle itself where the prongs of your adaptor plug are supposed to be in tight contact with the contacts inside the receptacle.

Usually at any RV site with only Edison recepts (in film and theater the common three pronged receptacles and plugs-that we are all familiar with in houses-are called "Edison" plugs and I just got used to calling them that), the setup is so old that the receptacle devices themselves are old and worn. There's not likely a problem on your side of the plug.

While Frank B's suggestion of knowing exactly what you are plugged into is ideal for an ideal situation, my experience with RV hookups is that if you have to use an Edison adaptor, you rarely know what's feeding it and there is little or no access to a main panel even when the receptacles are on posts at individual sites.

Yes, it would be great if 30 and 50 amp receptacles where available anywhere you wanted to park the LQ or RV, but there are still LOTs of substandard hookup situations and you have to use common sense to figure it out.

I don't know offhand any specs on your generator so can't answer the question without looking up that particular generator. If you're going to tow an RV, this is the kind of thing you need to learn how to figure out.