PDA

View Full Version : tailgate fixins

suz
Jun. 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
today i was thrilled when we got back to our trailers and my riding buddy whipped out a few containers of her tuna salad. it was so cold and delicious that i am inspired to make up a bar and picnic bascket for tailgaiting after our rides.
i have a couple of coolers, and i normally freeze almost empty water bottles to keep things cool, and for drinking later.
so beverages i've got covered. the water, a bottle of wine and a few beers and juices will suit everyone i think.
what non-perishable things should i keep in my picnic basket besides, napkins, wine opener, and paper plates,cups and plastic ware?
i think i'll pick up a few of those tuna and cracker packages, crackers and? maybe some of that cheese in a can? i'd like to be a little healthier though, lol!!
what would you like to have when returning from a long day in the saddle?
of course water and carrots for the ponies are already packed!

JollyBadger
Jun. 13, 2010, 11:42 PM
On day rides, my boyfriend and I usually pack sandwiches, fruit (apples and pears are my personal favorites), maybe some chips or crackers, but we take them with us out on trail for when we stop to do lunch.

He teased me a bit last summer when I purchased two of those hard plastic Wonderbread sandwich cases, but they're a great way to keep the bread from getting smashed into oblivion inside a saddle bag. There was no teasing from him the first time we took those sandwich cases on trail and they were still intact when we stopped for lunch.:lol:

I'd think that any kind of pasta salad would be good as a post-ride tailgate snack, especially something with an Italian dressing rather than creamy Ranch-style. Maybe some kind of "fancy" crackers, with an herb cream cheese spread and a little slice of lunchmeat. . .or pita chips and a flavored hummus? Or, use that same herb cream cheese spread on slices of cucumber. Good stuff!

As for beverages. . .a mutual horsey friend got us both hooked on "wine spritzers" last fall during a Labor Day camping/riding weekend. The wine doesn't have to be anything special. . .in fact, those cheap, fruity wines (think Arbor Mist - that's how cheap I'm talking!) work quite well. Just mix 2/3 part wine with an ice cold Sprite for post-ride refreshment.:winkgrin:

Having said all that. . .there is a Dairy Queen conveniently located about halfway between the farm and one of the nicer day-ride trail systems. And, the parking lot has enough space for the truck and gooseneck. And, few things taste better than a Blizzard after a hot day on trail!:winkgrin:

pnalley
Jun. 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
I just bought 10 rubbermaind containers that are perfect sandwich size. It was 10 for $2, opposed to the wonder bread sandwich holders at $2.39 each.

We usually carry PB&J for eating on the trail ride. Even with ice packs, meat sandwiches worry me (don't want to eat funky food)

We carry turkey or ham sandwiches & chips for after the ride. Tuna would be good, any kind of cold salad, pasta, potato, slaw would hit the spot

We usually picnic after the ride in spring & fall. This summer it is just too hot. By the time we get done riding we usually sponge the horses off, fly spray them and head out.

JollyBadger
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
I just bought 10 rubbermaind containers that are perfect sandwich size. It was 10 for $2, opposed to the wonder bread sandwich holders at $2.39 each.

:eek::eek:

At $2.39 each, I wouldn't have bought them, either!

I got both of them for $2 - didn't need more than that, since it's just the b/f and I - so it worked out just fine.:cool:

pnalley
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:18 PM
That was Walmart prices too.

jeano
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:19 AM
Mr Jeano the first and I used to do breakfast rides in the local state park--get up early to beat the heat, ride halfway around the loop, stop, have a nice bagel breakfast. Knowing us, we probably brought a thermos of coffee, too. I have a little shoulder bag wine bottle carrier complete with two little plastic wine glasses that I am always threatening to take along on a long ride, but never do. I've eaten a fair number of granola bar, cheese, and trail mix "lunches" in the saddle, but a tailgate is much more civilized.

CatOnLap
Jun. 16, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have a little shoulder bag wine bottle carrier complete with two little plastic wine glasses that I am always threatening to take along on a long ride

For breakfast?!?

(my kind of people. It's always after 5 PM somewhere!)

Simbalism
Jun. 16, 2010, 03:42 PM
The riding club group I ride with always does a potluck after a ride. There is always a wide variety of stuff from homemade to store bought. My favorite thing I have been bringing lately is roasted chicken salad with small rolls and/or crackers. I buy a small roasted chicken from Walmart, pull the meat off the bone and cut up. Then I add some red onion, celery, apple, and either dried cranberries or cherries.Mix with a combo of mayo and miracle whip. Yum! Very nice combo with the roasted chicken flavor and then the sweet of the apple and dried fruit.

saddleup
Jun. 16, 2010, 05:19 PM
I'm convinced nothing tastes better after a long, hot ride than cut up watermelon, seeded and stored in a cold cooler. I'll also freeze o.j. and then leave it to melt a bit, which turns it into a delicious slushy/icy drink that is so satisfying when you're hot and dusty and thirsty.

Oh, and don't forget the snickerdoodles. It's traditional with my friends on any ride over 3 hours.

JollyBadger
Jun. 16, 2010, 08:49 PM
Mr Jeano the first and I used to do breakfast rides in the local state park--get up early to beat the heat, ride halfway around the loop, stop, have a nice bagel breakfast. Knowing us, we probably brought a thermos of coffee, too. I have a little shoulder bag wine bottle carrier complete with two little plastic wine glasses that I am always threatening to take along on a long ride, but never do. I've eaten a fair number of granola bar, cheese, and trail mix "lunches" in the saddle, but a tailgate is much more civilized.

:lol::lol:

I have something similar. . .and I've used it (while riding) to carry snacks, drinks, and ice to my camping partners while we were at last year's SHOBA Celebration at East Fork Stables in TN. Since I was the one on horseback, I guess they figured I'd be able to make the trip back to where our trailers were parked faster than any of them could walk there. So, that was my "job" for the rest of the afternoon.

There's nothing quite like riding a horse through a busy campground, wearing a backpack full of ice and snacks and a full bottle of Vodka tucked under one arm. . .:lol: That's one crazy weekend!

pnalley
Jun. 17, 2010, 08:39 AM
(my kind of people. It's always after 5 PM somewhere!)

My, you are civilized. We always said it had to be noon somewhere:yes:

jeano
Jun. 17, 2010, 08:43 AM
It works both ways, you start on the beer after noon, the cocktails after five. Actually, I can hardly stand the thought of drinking and riding--I get unbalanced enough cold sober. But a cold one after a long ride, now that's nice.

xeroxchick
Jun. 17, 2010, 08:48 AM
You should pack a couple of trash bags (one for recycling) in your hamper as well.
Fox Hunters are *all over* this kind of thing! May I suggest croissants prepared with hot pepper jelly and ham inside? Pasta salad (sliced hearts of palm, sliced carrots, black Kalamata olives, green onions and a little mayo and Viva Italian), Arnold Palmers (1/2 iced tea - 1/2 lemon aide)?

suz
Jun. 17, 2010, 09:34 AM
mmm, what great ideas you folks have! i will definately try the cut up watermelon, that sounds perfect--and i love that i can share it with my pony!
next, a loaf or two of gerard's bread--an artisanal loaf made locally in an outdoor stone oven, i cannot get enough of this bread. that with some lovely cheeses, if i leave them out when we go for our ride they will be the perfect consistancy when we get back.
and i have a cute little flask set which belonged to my inlaws, three pint flasks marked rye, scotch and brandy, complete with three shot glasses all tucked into a zippered leather case. since i know of no-one who drinks rye or scotch any more, i'm thinking of tequela, vodka and peach brandy in them, add a couple of mixers and we'll be all set. those liquors will keep sort of indefinately in my trailer, won't they?
wish i could build a trailer bar like the one kurt russle had on his trailer in the movie 'the horse in the grey flannel suit'--that's the bar i really want!!