PDA

View Full Version : Trainer's Insurance

Chic Hunter
Jun. 13, 2010, 08:25 PM
How important is it for a trainer that comes to a private, hobby farm, (not a business, no boarders etc) to carry Ins.? And what if she trains/lessons to neighbors that are riding at my place?
When a trainer has a Ins card, what does it look like?

msj
Jun. 13, 2010, 09:46 PM
Very important! Accidents happen and you can and probably will be held accountable/liable. Quite possibly the person getting hurt or their family won't consider sueing you to cover any injuries but you can bet that their health insurance company will go after you to recoup what they have paid out.

Any trainer that I allowed to come and teach at my farm HAD to have insurance.

If you don't want to be liable either forget teaching or don't accept any $ for it, but I'm not even sure that not accepting renumeration will get you off the hook.

molliwog
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:17 AM
It is extremely important. In fact, my farm policy has specific verbiage that REQUIRES any trainer teaching on my place to carry a liability policy that is in equal dollar value to my own. Both of these trainers pay about $300 a year for this kind of policy- one has $1M in coverage, the other has $2M. So if anyone argues that it's too expensive, I'm afraid that's just not the case.

Both trainers that teach at my place simply provided me with a copy of their certificate. In both cases, their insurance agents just mailed it to me directly. And if I have a clinic, I purchase additional liability which covers the clinic days- this is quite inexpensive.

And when I asked my agent, not accepting renumeration does NOT get you off the hook in terms of liability if you are an equine professional in any way.

I have a good friend who lost their farm due to inadequate insurance for a farm (not horse-related) accident. The accident victim did not sue because the accident was due to their own error, but their insurance company did successfully, even though it was their insured who was at fault in the mind of any one with common sense.

calatar
Jun. 14, 2010, 08:38 AM
Molliwog, do you know the insurance company they use? I only have three students and have been quoted $800 for coverage. :(

tveley
Jun. 14, 2010, 08:48 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the trainer's insurance requirement would be the same for a foal-out facility working only doing early training with foals/weanlings (no riding horses)?

msj
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:09 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the trainer's insurance requirement would be the same for a foal-out facility working only doing early training with foals/weanlings (no riding horses)?

I would think you'd have to have commercial liability. I'm presuming you are taking in mares to foal so you would need Care, Custody and Control as well. To be honest though, I'd contact your insurance agent to find out for certain and MAKE SURE it's written right into the policy as well.

Reiter
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:50 AM
$300 for trainer's insurance is really cheap. Must be local to where you are molliwog. Equisure (one of the big national companies) is around $800/year.
I found a local place here in northern CA for $500/year that I use, so I would definitely suggest to look past the large companies. Maybe talk to other trainers in your area to get a reference!