PDA

View Full Version : Fence Strapping from FarmTek

Tommy's Girl
Jun. 13, 2010, 08:29 PM
Have you seen this or used it yourself? Could you offer your opinion?

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_fencing_containment-ft1_fence_strapping;pgcc5330.html

suz
Jun. 13, 2010, 09:59 PM
what's it made of? i couldn't find it on the web site.
i'm considering using rubber strapping myself. i can just imagine a moose walking into it and pulling it tight until SNAP!!!!!!
HEADS UP!!!!!
slingshot moose!!!!

Tommy's Girl
Jun. 13, 2010, 11:45 PM
I think it's made of some sort of plastic. The break strength is great - 3000lbs. for the 2" and 5000lbs. for the 4". So even a moose would have a problem with it!

Calvincrowe
Jun. 14, 2010, 12:55 AM
I remember folks saying it doesn't tighten very well. I am considering it for the "top rail" of my woven wire fence to replace the aging 2 x 6's there.

BasqueMom
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:41 AM
There doesn't seem to be any way to tighten it. It must be very thin also.
600 feet (4 rolls of 150 each at 7 lbs each) weighs 28 lbs whereas a 660 foot roll of Centaur's Spur (4-inch) weighs 108 lbs. and Ramm's weight is probably similar for their 4-inch rail. Possibly it could be tightened using the in-line Ramm spoolers.

I'd sure ask for a sample first and then get samples of Centaur and Ramm.
Then compare the pricing using similar footages...the latter will be more expensive but the rolls come with brackets plus the embedded high tensile wires that act as back up break strength.

The link really doesn't say what it is made of nor does it give any warranty
info. Check those out, also.

nashfad
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:10 AM
I recently considered using this (went with electric) and they have a ratchet thing that you use to tighten it with. Call FarmTek and ask for the guy that sells that stuff---I want to say his name was John but I forget-------he was very helpful and informative.

DesignerLabel
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:09 PM
I used this to fence my outdoor arena. It's made of webbing, sort of what they used to use for old timey lawn chairs. It lasted about 3 weeks before it frayed in our Oklahoma winds.

Liz