PDA

View Full Version : Scribed for a rec. dressage show today...

eventer_mi
Jun. 13, 2010, 02:53 PM
...and learned tons. My judge was an "R" and we had a whole smattering of tests - from Intro to 4th level. Very interesting to see how she adjusted her judging throughout the levels.

Common themes - consistency! Keep the frame consistent, the stride length consistent, the contact consistent. There was no emphasis on being "on the bit" - more like "keep the contact consistent." I loved how my judge would reward even the Intro people (some of whom weren't even close to being on the bit) with 7s if the contact and rhythm remained consistent.

Active gaits. She wasn't impressed with the fancy movers if they weren't really moving behind. She wanted to see marching at the walk, more "jump"
in the canter, marching at the trot. She rewarded those who were freely forward with 7s on gaits, and even 8s, and knocked down one very fancy mover because his horse didn't really articulate through the hocks and cover ground at the canter (only gave him a 7, but acknowledged that the other dressage judge probably would give him an 8). That surprised me.

Accuracy in figures. If the test calls for you to get to or cross X, then GET THERE. I can't tell you how many people we saw fall short of x when they were supposed to do a free walk on two short diagonals. It was painfully obvious from where we were sitting. Also, if the circle is to be made at B or E, then make sure that you don't make it too wide on one side (I wrote "center your circle" more times than not). Make sure you ride down your centerline when you enter the arena. Again, painfully obvious when you miss.

She nailed those who went "poll low" and were fussy. I don't think she went higher than a 6 on those movements.

Anyway, it's been a while since I scribed for a pure dressage show, and it was interesting to see how many people were showing a level or two above where they looked like they should have been. I've seen more consistent, more forward, more flowing tests at events.

Hope that helps those of you who are preparing for your next show!

mellsmom
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
On behalf of show organizers everywhere for taking time to do this! I love scribing..it's like a mini clinic.

jenm
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:07 PM
Can you share a little about what this judge was looking for on the Intro tests?

I recently rode two Intro tests for an r judge and she wanted my horse to be on the bit and that is pretty much what her comment was for every move.

I'm really curious to know if other judges are looking for Intro horses to be on the bit.

Eventer55
Jun. 14, 2010, 02:19 PM
Very timely post, I just rode my 2 best tests (one was a dressage show test at a CT and the other was my CT test.) I scored really well and she wrote "Nice consistent test!" I got a lot of 8s and a couple of nines. All the comments were consistent with what you wrote.

Interestingly my horse is not a great mover, but she moves "freely forward" and apparrently that is a good thing.

Thanks for posting.

pegasusmom
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:37 PM
Just catching up (finally) but thanks Eventer_mi for coming out and sweating all day! Your show manager appreciates you and your time very very much!!

HCF
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:10 PM
...and learned tons. My judge was an "R" and we had a whole smattering of tests - from Intro to 4th level. Very interesting to see how she adjusted her judging throughout the levels.

Common themes - consistency! Keep the frame consistent, the stride length consistent, the contact consistent. There was no emphasis on being "on the bit" - more like "keep the contact consistent." I loved how my judge would reward even the Intro people (some of whom weren't even close to being on the bit) with 7s if the contact and rhythm remained consistent.

Active gaits. She wasn't impressed with the fancy movers if they weren't really moving behind. She wanted to see marching at the walk, more "jump"
in the canter, marching at the trot. She rewarded those who were freely forward with 7s on gaits, and even 8s, and knocked down one very fancy mover because his horse didn't really articulate through the hocks and cover ground at the canter (only gave him a 7, but acknowledged that the other dressage judge probably would give him an 8). That surprised me.

Accuracy in figures. If the test calls for you to get to or cross X, then GET THERE. I can't tell you how many people we saw fall short of x when they were supposed to do a free walk on two short diagonals. It was painfully obvious from where we were sitting. Also, if the circle is to be made at B or E, then make sure that you don't make it too wide on one side (I wrote "center your circle" more times than not). Make sure you ride down your centerline when you enter the arena. Again, painfully obvious when you miss.

She nailed those who went "poll low" and were fussy. I don't think she went higher than a 6 on those movements.

Anyway, it's been a while since I scribed for a pure dressage show, and it was interesting to see how many people were showing a level or two above where they looked like they should have been. I've seen more consistent, more forward, more flowing tests at events.

Hope that helps those of you who are preparing for your next show!

Yes, your comments are spot on! I rode for that judge three times this past weekend (thank you for volunteering!) and really appreciated her comments. The weather was unbearable, but I am very pleased with my boy and my scores!

eventer_mi
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:26 AM
Can you share a little about what this judge was looking for on the Intro tests?

I recently rode two Intro tests for an r judge and she wanted my horse to be on the bit and that is pretty much what her comment was for every move.

I'm really curious to know if other judges are looking for Intro horses to be on the bit.

Sure! My judge didn't care if the Intro horses (and some of the Training level horses) were "on the bit" in terms that she didn't care if their heads were perpendicular to the ground, although if they were, she rewarded them for that (if everything else was correct). What she didn't want to see was tension (she marked down a few movements across all levels for tension) and inconsistent/intermittent contact. I saw a lovely ride by a wonderful girl and her saint of a mount who didn't come close to being "on the bit", but he was relaxed, very rhythmic, freely moving forward with energy (most of the time), and her figures were accurate. She was rewarded with scores accordingly.

I liked that she wasn't afraid to give out 8s, but also 4s (once in the same test!). I thought initially she was scoring rather harshly, but then I looked up and actually saw the test (after the initial panic of writing down the comments in the right box was over) and realized that she was dead on. WHen I got a chance to look up at a movement (especially during the lower levels where the tests move more slowly), I would play this game with myself and score the movement as I thought it should be scored, and most of the time, I was right on the money :yes:. So, I'd say that she was quite fair. Gave me a lot to look forward to on Sunday when I head up for my combined test.

Dana - thank YOU for your time and effort in organizing a show on a blisteringly hot and humid couple of days. We wouldn't have places to "play" without you! Might I add that the unlimited bottles of ice cold soda and water (and watermelon, although I don't like watermelon) were MUCH appreciated? And the little hand held fan? And the ice cold hand towels? And the bug wipes? THANK YOU!!! :D

HCF - which lovely rider and horse pair were you?

jenm
Jun. 15, 2010, 01:28 PM
eventer_mi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your insights. I appreciate the detail you have articulated, and your comments were helpful.

Good luck at your CT on Sunday. Let us know how your test goes!

CanTango1
Jun. 15, 2010, 03:44 PM
When I scribed I had a hard time putting it all together, I was to busy writing that I saw none of the tests !!!

It was great to learn WHAT the judge was looking for and where many riders went wrong ( its amazing how consistant it is too, most people make the same mistakes or need to work on the same things ) but I didnt get to see what was going wrong ( im very much a visual and hands on learner ) but our judge had lots to say and lots of comments so the riders had alot to take home, which for them is a good thing.. for me well my hand just hurt :)