View Full Version : Video from our xc lesson today!!

Jun. 13, 2010, 12:09 AM
Ok so I did double duty today, I taught and taped!!

It's their first time doing an actual xc school to work on elements needed to run an event. That being said we've jumped xc together tons, just in a more relaxed, non educational manner.

Steph has owned Mikey for 6 years. He is a 12 yr old Tb and they have been best buddies and done fox hunting, team chases, and hunter/jumper stuff.

She buys or gets horses cheap and sells them on. Mikey was the one who stayed!!!

Steph and I used to be co workers at my old job 2 summers ago and are close friends. So don't read too much into my comments. We have a TON of running jokes and I knew that I had a microphone and that she'd be listening later!

She and I are thinking of aiming to the July 24th Plantation starter, but only if they can make some headway. Otherwise it'll be later this summer/early fall.

You can see they are competent, just need some polish and an education in what to do and why.

Ok so, enjoy.

Jun. 14, 2010, 09:23 PM
Very cool! Looks like a sweet and willing horse. I'll use your "Look UP!" advice when I go xc schooling for the 2nd time soon!:winkgrin:

Jun. 14, 2010, 09:36 PM
I thought I was listening to my trainer: "Be aggressive!" I'm too kind to my guys (:

Fun to watch! He looks like a very willing horse, congrats to her!

Jun. 14, 2010, 09:41 PM
What a cool little guy! Love how catty he is to the banks.

Where are you schooling? It's a great facility!

Jun. 14, 2010, 11:06 PM
Wow so great to get some feedback, we were pretty sure by now that no one was gonna say anything and I felt bad for Steph. She's been hoping you all would come in tell her what you think!!!

"Mikey" is a neat neat guy. Steph does a fantastic job with him and he is super excited to be playing over thie stuff.

The facility is Laurel Hill Farm in Unionville, Pa. I know it because our own Bornfreenowexpensive used to board there and helps to organize clinics there.

It was just the right speed for their first xc school!!!

By all means bring on the comments, Steph has been lurking and reading other threads.

Jun. 15, 2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments! I really would love to hear what everyone thinks. This is somewhat a whole new world to Mikey and I. He really seems to love it and I'm glad to have finally found (after six years) the discipline that he can enjoy and be enthusiastic about! I am also super excited! We are having tons of fun working on things and any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated!! :)

Jun. 15, 2010, 05:46 PM

Ha ha ha ha. Nahhh just kidding. I can see you are working on it. But heads up, the dowel rods will be out tonight.

Jun. 15, 2010, 05:49 PM
This is going to be an interesting lesson considering I wont even be on my own horse lol. Reds enjoys long days in the sun, plenty of grass and being a pregnant mare look a like....not Dressage lessons haha.

Jun. 15, 2010, 05:52 PM
Already jumping on the "It's not my horse" bandwagon???

What would all the lesson school kids who don't own a horse say?? You have to be able to ride...not just ride YOUR horse.

Jun. 15, 2010, 09:39 PM
Ok I am putting this out here, for all the (COTH) world to see...

Steph and Becky both ROCKED tonight. After an hour these 'never done dressage' riders were able to go round and round at the trot and canter on Becky's horses on the bit and in a lovely rhytmn. I was very pleased and not just a little bit impressed. And their position flaws were starting to be worked away.

The horses were perfect for this exercise and both have a great sense of how to go when the riders get themselves right.

There is video, but not sure when it will be up.

Great job Guys!!!

Jun. 16, 2010, 07:40 AM
They looked great and like they were both having a blast! If she shortens her stirrups a bit, she wont have as much trouble with her elbows! Good luck!