PDA

View Full Version : Stinky saddle soap?

katie+tru
Jun. 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
My bar of regular glycerin soap stinks to high heaven. I have no way to describe it other than sort of putrid or moldy or something rotting. I bought it about a year ago and keep it in a plastic contained with a lid to keep it from getting dirty or "borrowed" by one of the kids. I'm beginning to think perhaps moisture trapped in the contained is the cause, but I've never seen another bar of soap that actually smells. It's pretty raunchy. Is it the container and lid... or something wrong with the soap? The soap doesn't look odd, no visible mold or fungus.

ashley.
Jun. 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
I'm willing to bet its from the moisture of the container. Something similar happened to me, I left all my bathing stuff in a sealed container, not knowing some of my sponges and towels were wet... Everything dried out and was fine. My leather CPR also smelled really bad once, and had a film over it. I just took the film off and a few days later it smelled fine... I'd try leaving it out for up to a week and seeing if it smells normal after that... If not then I don't recommend using it anymore.

gloriginger
Jun. 12, 2010, 09:53 PM
saddle soap is uber cheap- why risk it? Get the to the tack store for a new bar of glycerine soap- and while you are there buy one of the wooden trays for your soap- and a bar for the pesky barn kids so they won't borrow yours.
:)

CatOnLap
Jun. 13, 2010, 12:25 PM
any oil can go rancid. especially in heat and humidity.The smell is as yuou describe, somewhat reminsicent of rotten fish. Glycerine is less likely to, but it can still go. if it is kept dry, it will last longer. The rancid smell will transfer to your tack, so toss it and get a new one.

Or give it to the barn kids <evil grin>

katie+tru
Jun. 13, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hm... meanwhile I did use it yesterday evening on my bridle and breastplate. I left it open on my porch for an hour or two before hand and the smell was hardly there. My tack has never smelled bad either. I guess I should get a new bar then before I have to clean stuff again. I'll just have to reorganize my cubby to fit a a fresh bar without putting anything on top of it.

Wait. Idea. Can glycerin soap be kept in the fridge? That just came to me... seems fine... dry, cold, no humidity.