PDA

View Full Version : Spring Run Stadium - anyone watch?

saje
Jun. 12, 2010, 04:14 PM
I was looking at scores and am amazed at the numbers of rails in every division!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AvYIx9_KP1xrdE5tVjBjM0d2RDlyNXNUc29KNXlVV 3c&hl=en&gid=3

It's pretty much the same across the board from Prelim through Novice (all that's posted so far).

Anyone watch it in person? What caused the problems?

secretariat
Jun. 12, 2010, 06:41 PM
Wasn't there, but report I got was footing was very wet and slick (we had big time rain early this am) plus course was pretty twisty turny, on a little bit of terrain. Horses accustomed to jumping in nice flat KHP rings and footings sometimes don't adapt well to grass and slopes.

riderboy
Jun. 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
Yes, stadium there is on grass and there was some rain the day before. I was in novice, dropped a rail and improved my placing by two spots! It didn't flow great, but required a careful ride. XC today was hot, but it was really fun. They're all fun, but this course was a blast.

Mudroom
Jun. 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
I was there. I think it was somewhat slick for Prelim but got better. I rode T and had studs in but didn't a slipping problem. I was a very twisty course with some fairly abrupt turns and some panels etc that horses tend to look at. I know a lot of people, including me, felt their rides were not smooth or pretty. I did not consider it in anyway unfair or poorly designed, but it was challenging. It was very hot and humid and I think a lot of horses were sluggish or sloppy having already done dressage.

Auburn
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:46 AM
I did not expect the footing to be an isssue for me, but it was. I saw a distance to jump #4 and my mare did not agree. She decided that she needed another stride to get me over safely, I jumped ahead, she popped me up as she went over, I landed on her neck, she headed toward the last fence to jump it backwards, I rolled off into the back rail of said last fence to prevent her from doing so. Can you say RF? :mad:

My mare was trying her best to jump safely in sticky footing. If I had not committed my body, then it would have been an ugly jump, but I would probably have stayed on. My fault all of the way.

I am just sorry that I cannot wrap my mind around my move up to Novice. Right now, I want to move back to BN. I have a clinic with Robin Walker at the end of June. If he cannot help my lack of confidence about my abilites, then I will go back where I feel safe.

Spring Run was, as always, a great event. Kudos to all of the Volunteers and Organizers. Getting to speak with Jim Graham, a fellow Alabamian, is always a treat.

The weather before dressage and stadium was rainy, then hot and humid. Whenever you have a stadium course on grass, I feel that you will have footing issues. I have not found an event yet, with their stadium on grass, which has not had them after a rain.

Denny Emerson warned me about "helicopter jumps" in a clinic that we had at Spring Run. It is unfortunate that I had to demonstrate how to do one, again. :winkgrin:

secretariat
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:51 AM
You'll enjoy the clinic with Robin, he should be a big help.

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:52 AM
Oh Auburn... I feel for you. I'm having a very frustrating few weeks myself and sometimes wonder how on earth I'm at training level without someone complaining to someone!
Sending hugs your way! I laughed at the "helicopter" jumps! That's hilarious!! But I'm so glad you are okay (right?!?). And I LOVE Robin Walker! I really think he can help your confidence!

Good luck!

Auburn
Jun. 14, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hey Flecken Awesome,

Thank you for your supportive words. My neck, back and right hip are very sore. For some reason, I am walking with my right foot turned out. I have already called my Chiropracter, who has always been able to put "Humpty Dumpty" (me) back together again.

Everyone has told me that Robin Walker is a great clinician. I am going to LAZ's camp, after South Farm. I am supposed to run Novice there, but am thinking about dropping back down.

If any of you have run Novice at South Farm, would you let me know of the difficulty? Sometimes the Omnibus is not entirely reliable.

Right now, my confidence in myself, as a rider, is about zero. :(

Gryhrs
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
Auburn - Great to see you and your hubbie. So sorry about your show. I have been there girl (waaay more frequently than u apparently :) and it still stinks.

riderboy
Jun. 14, 2010, 11:19 AM
Auburn; Glad you were OK, and I agree, Susan and Blake Harris just knock themselves out evry year for that show. It's just nice to have people like that and all the volunteers and supporters to keep this wonderful show going.

NMK
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:26 PM
Auburn,

Sorry to hear of the RF. Novice at SF is very straightforward. I've always had good luck moving horses up there.

You will find Robin to be very straighforward as well. Do the clinic, ask him (he's been to SF) where he thinks you will be most comfortable--wait until after your last day.

I would also Call Sarah Greer (org) at SF and ask her what is the latest date for you to switch divisions and see if it works for you.

She is a wonderful person as you know.

Nancy

saje
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks all, I had a feeling it was something along those lines!

HER
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
Auburn,
I second everything NMK said. South Farm is very straightforward for Novice.
Last year the course started with two straightforward fences, then a fence in a treeline that jumps well if you give your horse time to see it. The water is usually a jump nearish the water (not too close) and run through. The ditch is not very much of one, only one side is revetted so it's almost like a little bank. The bank is an easy drop off. Nothing trappy or tricky. Stadium is on grass but it is on Sunday so you will have done xc first. The only thing tricky about SF is the Amish buggys!
I totally understand how you feel. I fell off in stadium in my first prelim, sticky footing just like you described and I picked and picked to a distance that did not exist. My horse jumped sideways through the fence and off I went! :). I went to a trial the following weekend to redeem myself and my friends told me I was green going into stadium. There were trials all last year where I would question whether this was fun or not- but all those fears went away after the first jump. It has taken me a year and a half for this level to become fun and comfortable. And I'm sure it will start all over again with the next move up. From seeing you at Winona I would still say you guys will be fine at novice at SF but only do what you are happy doing!
Robin Walker is absolutely wonderful. He has totally changed my riding in the last year, making me better and safer. He will challenge you, but he is dead honest and has always helped me feel like a million bucks at the end of the clinic.
My good friend will be showing my horse in novice at SF. If you would like to pal around with her I'm sure she would love it also. Sometimes it helps me to have someone to bounce my fears off of and who can calm you down because they are in the same boat :). She gets very nervous at times.
Hope this helps and you have fun regardless of level! I'm sure Sarah will let you switch if you need to.
Helen