PDA

View Full Version : Are tails mandatory?

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:17 PM
So I'm confused. I see people now wearing helmets and tails and I think it looks lame are they not allowed to ditch the tails and just wear a normal jacket? What are the exact rules on jackets for CCI** and CCI***?

WARNING DRESS RANT:
Is it just me or does riding have THE dumbest dress code in sport. Everyone else wears clothes offering better performance and such. We have to wear jackets that we sweat to death in and dumb little top hats are also approved. We look so uncool no wonder we have no spectators and sponsorships who wants to be associated with the worst dress sport. Seriously we need to get with the times. Im embarrassed to show normal people dressage and showjumping photos because I look so ridiculous in those jackets.

There is my dress code rant for today :lol::lol::lol:

saje
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:21 PM
Ahhh but one person's ridiculous is another's elegance. Personally I like the formality, and I see nothing wrong with a tailcoat and a classy helmet (ie: not a plastic shiny Troxel).

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ahhh but one person's ridiculous is another's elegance. Personally I like the formality, and I see nothing wrong with a tailcoat and a classy helmet (ie: not a plastic shiny Troxel).

Their elegance is almost killing me... The heat is brutal! :yes:

SkipChange
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
I personally love the attire. America has become far too casual. (I say this as a college student who wears T-shirts everyday). I enjoy the classic elegance of traditional riding attire. I also see nothing wrong with a helmet and tails.

Perhaps you should try a different fabric? They make some fabrics that are supposed to be lighter these days, but still look fairly traditional.

enjoytheride
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:33 PM
I get heat stroke easily so you will not find me in a jacket in Indiana summer unless it is required. I am neatly dressed in a polo though.

I have no problem with someone wearing tails and an approved helmet and I am glad that safety has a place among formality.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Jun. 12, 2010, 02:25 PM
BUT can you wear a normal jacket (not tails) at a CCI** and CCI***? :confused:

melodiousaphony
Jun. 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
I personally love the attire. America has become far too casual. (I say this as a college student who wears T-shirts everyday). I enjoy the classic elegance of traditional riding attire. I also see nothing wrong with a helmet and tails.

Perhaps you should try a different fabric? They make some fabrics that are supposed to be lighter these days, but still look fairly traditional.

I totally agree, and I'm a 20something that wears jeans to work-computer programming, they're just happy I have social skills! Heck, I actually dress more professionally at the barn and when I go on call with the vet!
Anyway, I love the formal attire. I even stopped wearing "colors" to stadium unless it's run back to back with xc. I want to get good enough to wear tails, though I totally want to wear a top hat, I can, right?
As for fabrics, I've found wool is nice for spring/fall (I compete in New England) and I have a black hunt coat in a really light material I use for the summer. I also have really neat "vented" button down shirts. I like the throw back to the prim and properness of the hunt and the military high standards. Maybe it's because I grew up a military brat. (Believe it or not, those who know me, that previously purple hair and the tattoos are on a girl with 3/4 parents retired military officers).

kinnip
Jun. 12, 2010, 05:26 PM
I love the tails and top hat, but I can appreciate the trend toward more practical clothing and headgear. I'd like an answer the OP's question about the rules. I don't think the helmet with tails has quite the same impact, but a helmet with a conservative, tail-less jacket looks quite nice to me.

ellebeaux
Jun. 12, 2010, 05:29 PM
I thought you meant horse tails. Which honestly puzzled me for a moment.

Guess it's obvious I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

JER
Jun. 12, 2010, 06:37 PM
WARNING DRESS RANT:
Is it just me or does riding have THE dumbest dress code in sport. Everyone else wears clothes offering better performance and such. .... Seriously we need to get with the times.

I'm with you 100%, Shrunk.

Riders are athletes, not actors in Masterpiece Theatre.

Football players no longer wear leather pants. The Olympics are no longer contested naked. Time to move on.

kinnip
Jun. 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
The Olympics are no longer contested naked. Time to move on.

:D

NeverTime
Jun. 12, 2010, 07:17 PM
I know tails are optional at the CCI** level (I've done a two-star in a hunt coat and helmet) but I believe they are required for *** and ****.

I'm too lazy to look up the rule to be sure, and I'm guessing you are capable of googling for yourself if you really want to know.

twofatponies
Jun. 12, 2010, 07:29 PM

Football players no longer wear leather pants. The Olympics are no longer contested naked. Time to move on.

Ah, but the Olympics would be very interesting if they did do it naked! Maybe not the downhill skiing....

Gry2Yng
Jun. 12, 2010, 09:15 PM
I actually DID go to the FEI rule book, just cause I couldn't remember where the cutoff was. If anyone can understand what they are actually saying regarding coats, please post. They tell you what is not encouraged, but not what is recommended or required, at least by my reading.

scubed
Jun. 12, 2010, 09:49 PM
5.1 CIVILIAN – compulsory except as indicated in 5.2 & 5.3 below: hunting dress or uniform of a riding club, white shirt and tie, gloves, white, fawn or cream breeches, boots, hunting cap, protective headgear or top hat, and spurs (in accordance with Para. 3 above)
5.2 AT CICS 2/1* athletes, if they wish, may wear a tweed jacket with fawn or beige breeches and black or brown boots.
5.3 AT CCI/CIC1* the wearing of a top hat and tailcoat is not encouraged.

So what is required is "hunting dress or uniform of a riding club". However here, there is an interpretation that appears to require tails at the 3* level and above:
http://www.cdi-raleigh.com/2009ComparisonOfDressageRules.pdf

KateWooten
Jun. 12, 2010, 09:57 PM
I am absolutely in favour of tradition and formality. So let's get rid of all these bloody women in the sport. It's SO untraditional.

And if we do allow one or two of them to have a little go at the lower levels, then for heavens sake, let's have them dress correctly and ride correctly. Good grief, women riding astride ? In skin-tight Breeches ??? Scandalous ! Whatever next ? You'll be wanting women to have to bother their pretty little heads with politics and voting before long :eek:

A Woman on a horse should be dressed formally - in a habit that covers her ankles. Anything less is a modern abomination.

JER
Jun. 12, 2010, 10:07 PM
5.1 CIVILIAN – compulsory except as indicated in 5.2 & 5.3 below: hunting dress or uniform of a riding club

Hey guys! I'm starting a riding club. It's called the Just Wear Whatever Riding Club.

Ibex
Jun. 12, 2010, 10:09 PM
I am absolutely in favour of tradition and formality. So let's get rid of all these bloody women in the sport. It's SO untraditional.

And if we do allow one or two of them to have a little go at the lower levels, then for heavens sake, let's have them dress correctly and ride correctly. Good grief, women riding astride ? In skin-tight Breeches ??? Scandalous ! Whatever next ? You'll be wanting women to have to bother their pretty little heads with politics and voting before long :eek:

A Woman on a horse should be dressed formally - in a habit that covers her ankles. Anything less is a modern abomination.

You owe me a new keyboard :lol:

lalahartma1
Jun. 12, 2010, 10:13 PM

Me too! :)

MrBob
Jun. 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hey guys! I'm starting a riding club. It's called the Just Wear Whatever Riding Club.

:lol:

Tails are NOT compulsory at any level.

vineyridge
Jun. 12, 2010, 10:30 PM
If hunting dress is mandatory (unless you're a member of a riding club with unusual dress), then black field boots are verboten. Dress boots mandatory to go with black (melton) hunt coat. No black tack. Canary or buff or beige breeches only. Stock Ties--preferably pique and plain gold stock pin. Spare stirrup leather for a belt? Only wash leather (Chamois) or brown leather gloves. Canary vest?

One assumes they mean hunt dress for the high holy hunt days.

maudie
Jun. 12, 2010, 11:15 PM
I like getting all dressed up for horse shows. I wear fancy high tec shirts and breeches at home, wearing the same attire at a show would make it less special IMO. I mean, why can't you get one of the soft shell jackets if the traditional look is too much? I love showing my pictures to my friends, moat of the time they are curious about what I am wearing and why, most find the history interesting.

kkindley
Jun. 13, 2010, 08:18 AM
I LOVE wearing proper riding attire for shows. I enjoy the tradition of it. My jacket is 100% wool, gets a little hot, and I may replace it with a synthetic for the mid summer shows, but I love it! I always wear a long sleeve shirt under my jacket and a real stock tie pinned with a plain gold pin. None of that pre tied stuff for me(ya know, in case I need to use it and my pin as a bandage!!). I always have a belt on, even though no one sees it. I don't own a pair of low rise breeches, I think they look ridiculous. As a kid(pre-tall boots) I wore real garters. I see they sell ones now that velcro on to be easy. Seems kinda silly to me. Half the fun was trying to remember how to put those things on! I see that things have gotten more and more casual, which makes me kinda sad. As a kid showing the county and state fairs, I remember we ALWAYS wore jackets. I think they excused jackets once that I remember and you had to have a long sleeved shirt on to remove yours. (That's prob why I still wear long sleeves now!)

Gry2Yng
Jun. 13, 2010, 10:14 AM
One assumes they mean hunt dress for the high holy hunt days.

That was partly where I was puzzled. Hunt attire runs a pretty broad spectrum depending on the "occasion". So what do they really mean.

KateWooten
Jun. 13, 2010, 11:26 AM
I enjoy the tradition of it. .... Seems kinda silly to me.

See, that's the bit I don't get. WHOSE tradition ? WHAT tradition do we think we're emulating ? When we explain to our friends all about 'the history of it' ... what exactly do we say ? Do we in fact explain anything about Things That Have Happened ... 'History' as it were, or do we mumble something generic about military and tradition, not mentioning any particular dates, or countries... and them move swiftly on to pictures of the dog ?

StrawberryFields
Jun. 13, 2010, 01:02 PM
I like the tradition, it would look unprofessional to me if someone at the *** or **** level didn't dress formal. It's a privledge and an honor, why would someone NOT want to dress to impress??

Gestalt
Jun. 13, 2010, 01:24 PM
I like to see riders dressed in the jacket. It looks really nice, like a cocktail party. :) I used to have a lightweight wool coat for summer, found these ice packs that fit inside your helmet and voila, I was good to go for about 20 minutes. Long enough to do my test. :)

TXnGA
Jun. 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
I think tails/ top hats are very elegant and traditional!

It takes a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears to get to those levels, why shouldn't you wear something that represents all that hard work?!?!? I wouldn't wan to be running around Rolex and be wearing what I would wear to the local H.T.

When I look at pics of myself in top hat/ tails and others in top hat/ tails, i think it looks so beautiful/ classical and so formal, because riding is a formal sport. I have no problem and am never embarresed to show others, whether non horsey or not, my pics and love answering their questions about our formal dress. Heck, they are going to ask about braiding, why not what we wear. I would hate to think that if you started taking away the formality of tails at the upper levels and 3 days, where does it then stop... and people would start wanting to wear tank tops and jeans to show in....

Like a previous poster said, if you don't like the look of tails, you can choose to wear lighter fabrics or a regular coat and helmet.

I have to be honest, safety aside, I think a top hat with tails looks 100 times better than a helmet with tails...

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Jun. 13, 2010, 06:32 PM

THANK YOU :yes:

I mean we don't wear corsets anymore can't we move on in riding fashion also...

As for it being and "honor and privlege" for riders to compete at the *** and **** levels I beg to differ. They have all worked their arses off and should get to wear what is comfortable not what the old farts in the shaded booths like to seee :lol:

maudie
Jun. 13, 2010, 06:34 PM
See, that's the bit I don't get. WHOSE tradition ? WHAT tradition do we think we're emulating ? When we explain to our friends all about 'the history of it' ... what exactly do we say ? Do we in fact explain anything about Things That Have Happened ... 'History' as it were, or do we mumble something generic about military and tradition, not mentioning any particular dates, or countries... and them move swiftly on to pictures of the dog ?

I normally say that what I wear is a variation of what fox hunters wear, then go through a quick summary of a hunt, then explain how trends have altered how things are done.

Out of curiosity, what should equestrians wear instead of traditional wool, velvet, etc?

FWIW I would still wear my stock pin, but they've been banned in Eq land, so I don't have one anymore. And I always wear regular rise breeches, even though my non horsey friends are embarrassed to be with me, haha

Ajierene
Jun. 13, 2010, 07:35 PM
I normally say that what I wear is a variation of what fox hunters wear, then go through a quick summary of a hunt, then explain how trends have altered how things are done.

Out of curiosity, what should equestrians wear instead of traditional wool, velvet, etc?

FWIW I would still wear my stock pin, but they've been banned in Eq land, so I don't have one anymore. And I always wear regular rise breeches, even though my non horsey friends are embarrassed to be with me, haha

So you go through the whole thing about how Eventing was originally a military test, then it was opened to civilians and women weren't allowed to compete, then they were allowed to compete, but not in the Olympics?

Do you explain to them that Eventing has nothing to do with Fox hunting and really just an activity fox hunters picked up to bide the time between seasons?

Do you explain that you are bucking original tradition by not wearing a full riding habit and riding aside?

Do you explain to them that while equestrians would like to be called 'athletes', they refuse to let go of a 'tradition' (which is not mine, so why should I follow it?) that could cause heat stroke; which is contrary to every other Olympic sport?

What should equestrians wear? How about just a long sleeve or short sleeve polo shirt? How about one of those collared under armor shirts designed to keep you cool? The wool jacket, of any sort, serves no purpose than to increase the risk of heat distress.

maudie
Jun. 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
So you go through the whole thing about how Eventing was originally a military test, then it was opened to civilians and women weren't allowed to compete, then they were allowed to compete, but not in the Olympics?

Do you explain to them that Eventing has nothing to do with Fox hunting and really just an activity fox hunters picked up to bide the time between seasons?

Do you explain that you are bucking original tradition by not wearing a full riding habit and riding aside?

Do you explain to them that while equestrians would like to be called 'athletes', they refuse to let go of a 'tradition' (which is not mine, so why should I follow it?) that could cause heat stroke; which is contrary to every other Olympic sport?

What should equestrians wear? How about just a long sleeve or short sleeve polo shirt? How about one of those collared under armor shirts designed to keep you cool? The wool jacket, of any sort, serves no purpose than to increase the risk of heat distress.

Actually, no, I thought I was on the hunter/jumper board for a minute. I was on my iTouch, so please excuse my mistake there. I do normally say something about ladies riding side saddle in full habit compared to breeches and coats.

Re: heatstroke, when I was showing Hunters, we were sometimes forced to bake in the sun for hours because a horse got loose, or a trainerwas holding up the works etc. Compared to Eventing, where Dressage has a set time that is strictly enforced. I figure it would only take 20 minutes of wearing a jacket to walk into the arena and perform the test and exit. Before that time it would be easy to wear a light weight show shirt or cool vest. And AFAIK, you can wear just about whatever you want in cross country under/over your vest, so no stroke there. In stadium, you can just throw on your jacket before you get into the ring, again, only 20 minutes or so where you're in a jacket. If you're really going to stroke out after 20 minutes in a wool jacket, get a soft shell or a cooling vest.

ETA: It's been hypothesised that my wool jacket saved my arm. I came off over the horses shoulder and went under him. His hoof came down on my arm and ripped up my coat good, but my ratcatcher was fine, and my arm was only bruised. I think that the slick coat helped the hoof slide off my arm instead of snagging

hoofhearted
Jun. 13, 2010, 08:44 PM
somewhere, I have a photo of the last time Ralph Hill rode at Rolex on that Reprint horse, he was wearing his red coat and helmet in the dressage. He left the stabling in tails and a top hat, got the warm up area had a coat tails/saddle pad snafu and a groom was dispatched to the trailer to get his red coat and helmet. I remember Sally O'Connor made a comment about it in her commentary, but didn't say anything about it being wrong.

Equa
Jun. 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
Shrunk - I'm with you about the utter foolishness of top hat and tails...

It is NOT traditional - the tradition is some wierd bastardisation of hunting dress and morning coats imposed upon civilians when it was deemed OK that they compete in eventing.

As for whether they are mandatory? I don;t believe so.

Eventer55
Jun. 14, 2010, 07:27 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

KateWooten
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:34 AM
Actually, no, I thought I was on the hunter/jumper board for a minute.

Tee Hee - yes, I think we all picked up a hint of that! Let's not even go there with 'tradition' and 'hunters' over here in the colonies. Good Lord, little girls leaping painted arena fences in top hat and tails being judged on style over fences... Seriously ? ... fun for a long afternoon being completely bored, no doubt, but tradition ? You're joking, right ?

Bobthehorse
Jun. 14, 2010, 10:01 AM
I enjoy the formality. One, it makes my posture look better. Two, its the most dressed up I ever get.

StrawberryFields
Jun. 14, 2010, 12:00 PM
shrunk, you don't think competeting at the **** level is an honor? I mean, yes, they did work their butts off to get there, but it is still an honor.

Bobthehorse
Jun. 14, 2010, 12:35 PM
Gosh people take this seriously. I think some are getting a little melodramatic.

I do not want to be dressed in a spandex unitard and heeled sneakers on my horse like some of the other athletes. I can take the heat. We have to wear a xc vest which I think is hotter than any wool jacket.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Jun. 14, 2010, 12:55 PM
Bobthehorse I agree I just wondered if people were forced into those comical outfits at that level or if there was an option then tacked on a rant about the whole get-up in general.

~Sarah~, I don't think it is at all an honor. Perhaps getting chosen to be on the team because that's slightly more personal in terms of selection and the political dance you have to do. But anyone that does a *** + has worked for it. Its not an honor its their right after all that work :D

JER
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:13 PM
shrunk, you don't think competeting at the **** level is an honor? I mean, yes, they did work their butts off to get there, but it is still an honor.

How so?

You qualify, you fill out the forms, you show up. That's objective, not subjective.

If you are so inclined, you can feel 'honored' to be there and spout sports-cliche quotes about it but you are not honoring anyone with your participation nor is anyone bestowing an honor on you by allowing you to participate.

Ajierene
Jun. 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
Actually, no, I thought I was on the hunter/jumper board for a minute. I was on my iTouch, so please excuse my mistake there. I do normally say something about ladies riding side saddle in full habit compared to breeches and coats.

Re: heatstroke, when I was showing Hunters, we were sometimes forced to bake in the sun for hours because a horse got loose, or a trainerwas holding up the works etc. Compared to Eventing, where Dressage has a set time that is strictly enforced. I figure it would only take 20 minutes of wearing a jacket to walk into the arena and perform the test and exit. Before that time it would be easy to wear a light weight show shirt or cool vest. And AFAIK, you can wear just about whatever you want in cross country under/over your vest, so no stroke there. In stadium, you can just throw on your jacket before you get into the ring, again, only 20 minutes or so where you're in a jacket. If you're really going to stroke out after 20 minutes in a wool jacket, get a soft shell or a cooling vest.

ETA: It's been hypothesised that my wool jacket saved my arm. I came off over the horses shoulder and went under him. His hoof came down on my arm and ripped up my coat good, but my ratcatcher was fine, and my arm was only bruised. I think that the slick coat helped the hoof slide off my arm instead of snagging

Oh, yeah, your explanation makes more sense in a hunter/jumper frame of reference.

While I appreciate that you have worn jackets all day and not died of heat stroke, that does not make the best idea. I have also worn my jacket all day at hunter shows, in my youth. I have ridden without a helmet and survived - and NEVER fell off without a helmet on. Following that logic, maybe I should stop wearing helmets when I jump....

I know, there is a big safety difference between attire and helmets, but it follows the same logic as in 'I've done it and survived, hence it must be a good idea'.

Personally, I wear my jacket and shirt in dressage at every show. That is at small, unrecognized shows. Why? Because I like to! If the person right before me or right after me wants to wear a polo instead or just the shirt, I really don't care. The jacket serves no purpose.

You anecdote about your fall is just that - an anecdote. Until you can show reasonable, scientific evidence that jackets save lives, I will not stand on tradition. Furthermore, the tails are not only not helpful, they can be considered a hindrance if they, by some chance, get caught on something or somehow end up under the saddle.

I agree with JER and Shrunk in da Wash - getting to the 3 or 4 star level is an accomplishment in itself. Do you need to wear tails on top of it at the shows? Really, sending in the entry fee and presenting your horse at the first jog is enough to say 'look everyone, I got here!'

Trixie
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:25 PM
I consider it an honor to compete. It's an expensive sport, and our animals give a lot for us. In that, as much as I can, I like to be as well turned out as possible when competing, especially if it's a special class.

I prefer the pictures if I'm wearing a proper jacket and shirt, anyway. I'll still ride informal jumpers classes in a polo or a button down, but for bigger classes I wear a jacket. Peculiar, perhaps, but I agree with the person that said our society has gotten extremely casual. It's nice that there's still tradition somewhere. Then again, I live in Virginia, and we like to wear large feathered hats to spectate at sporting events.

That being said, I do consider some things to be highly inappropriate - tails on children, for instance.

Bobthehorse
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:41 PM
It is NOT traditional - the tradition is some wierd bastardisation of hunting dress and morning coats imposed upon civilians when it was deemed OK that they compete in eventing.

I guess it depends on how you define traditional. If you mean the first person to ever show a horse didnt wear a topper and tails, thats true. But its been a tradition in this sport, I think is what people mean. Not thats its a tradition as old as time itself...

Everything was considered modern once.

Equa
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:23 PM
I reckon that "Military Dress" has more reason to be considered traditional...and it is more practical and sporty, although helmets would need to be added to the picture.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:04 AM
I think we should wear modern military dress.... so we can pick from navy whites, or dress blues, or even graphic camo! ;)

islgrl
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:08 AM

Me Too!!! I was totally perplexed when I read the title...:lol:

purplnurpl
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:09 AM
?

tradition came from classic military dress.

http://www.zimbio.com/Equestrian+Sports/articles/67/History+Equestrian+Horse+ballet+officers

When the sport morphed away from the military the dress too had to change a bit.

Hence the coat and hat. + the women had to come up with some sort of attire.
simple enough? yes?

The horse is a noble animal of the Kings and Queens. Hence the reason we feel "honored". :yes:

When I dress formally for the shows it's because I'm dressed to impress. I'm there to present my horse in the highest way to the judges--whether subjective or objective.

My horse deserves the formality of it all and I'm proud to sit a top of him.

As much as we call ourselves athletes...well, we are still different than most.
Next thing you know ballerinas will want to wear sneakers and tanks because the attire would be more "comfortable".

JanWeber
Jun. 15, 2010, 02:03 PM
I vaguely remember some kerfluffle when Jimmy Wofford suggested that "equestrian events" would gather more spectators if participants wore, uh, spandex...

JER
Jun. 15, 2010, 05:06 PM
I vaguely remember some kerfluffle when Jimmy Wofford suggested that "equestrian events" would gather more spectators if participants wore, uh, spandex...

AFAIK, it hasn't worked for vaulting.

archieflies
Jun. 15, 2010, 06:16 PM
When I think of chenging the dress, and wearing spandex and all, I think of the men's bobsledding in the Olympics, and how large those guys are, and how I just saw wayyyyy too much. They need to be more formal. I would love for them to wear wool coats and full seat breeches... it would cover up a lot of things I don't want to see or know about.

Really, if you want to dress more like other sports, think about the reasons for what they wear. Runners and those bobsled folks wear super-tight Spandex to be as aerodynamic as possible. (Do we really need that? I don't think a little wind drag from my coat's gonna bother my horse!) Swimmers wear slick materials to glide through the water. (Should we wear slick materials on horseback? I personally prefer a little stickability in my dress.) Football players may have dropped their leather pants in exchange for somehting that offers more flexibility, but our pants manage to offer flexibility AND still have leather in all the right places for traction.

And for the parts that aren't practical... well, there's other sports out there that have impractical unforms. Couldn't baseball players play just as well in uniforms similar to soccer and basketball? Sure, kids do it on the sandlot every day. But their uniforms are a "bastardisation" of traditional dress as well (or a "nod to tradition"), and it hasn't stopped spectators there. And look at Karate. Wouldn't some lovely spandex be just as flexible?

Maybe not everything we wear has a "purpose," but I like it. A dark coat looks nice on any color horse, and helps keep the HORSE the center of focus, as it should be. And have you looked closely at what happens when rules of formality are relaxed? I was at a schooling show this past weekend which basically had no dress code other than "collared shirts in dressage." There were several young girls wearing breeches where each leg was a different color (and we're not talking subtle colors here either) and the knee patches were a third color. Not only does this look ATROCIOUS on a paint horse (talk about driving away spectators!), but it makes the rider the center of attention and the horse an afterthought. OK, ok, that was in cross country, but I have seen several school shows, both in eventing and H/J where riders felt so free without a dress code that they wore pinstripe breeches with polka-dot shirts, plaid saddle pads, and neon floral helmet covers. It always makes my eyes bleed. A nice black coat and light-colored breeches has never made anyone's eyes bleed. Maybe that's why the judges like them.

Finally, when a group of people that I work with were wanting to come see me ride last weekend, they made comments about wanting to see me "all dressed up in my black coat." They were actually disappointed when I said it was a schooling show and nobody would be wearing a coat. They thought it looked nice and made being there feel more special.

adamsmom
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:14 PM
Personally, I always considered it an abomination to not wear your coat, even when it was waived. You only had to wear it for 3-10 minutes after all.

And I still think that's true at the upper levels.
However, at the lower levels, when we're trying to attract new competitors, I think we should be more casual.
After all, it costs a lot of money to purchase all that gear, and if it's something you're new to and just trying, you may not want to lay out all that money.

There are a series of shows in south Florida that have a camp every year. They get a special dispensation so that their campers can ride in their shows in collared polo shirts instead of traditional attire. I wonder how many new competitors they bring in every year.

At the Intermediate level & above, yes, to me, it should be traditional - although I have NO problem with wearing ASTM helmets with tails.
Below that....whatever is comfortable, classy and affordable.

GraceLikeRain
Jun. 15, 2010, 10:20 PM
It seems that the question has been answered by other much more qualified than myself. I just wanted to say that when I read your title I thought "why doesn't her poor horse have a tail or does she have one with a tail and she wants to shave it off?!"

Equa
Jun. 16, 2010, 05:02 AM
While I don't believe funereal tail coats should have to be worn, I am highly offended by horses with paltry tails who are not provided with a falsie!

purplnurpl
Jun. 16, 2010, 10:35 AM
While I don't believe funereal tail coats should have to be worn, I am highly offended by horses with paltry tails who are not provided with a falsie!

well, some of us have enough trouble proving ourselves with tails...
And yet there is an added expense to my first CCI.

Chlzee
Jun. 26, 2010, 06:07 PM
I live in Florida.

I f-cking hate wearing coats. Showing in summer is BRUTAL, even if you only wear it for 5 minutes.

I would much prefer to sacrifice that bit of formality than wear them, personally.

Gry2Yng
Jun. 28, 2010, 10:20 PM
Personally, I always considered it an abomination to not wear your coat, even when it was waived. You only had to wear it for 3-10 minutes after all.

Yes, well. I have a horse that won't stand to let you tighten his girth or take off boots, let alone let you put a coat on safely. And if you get off to put your coat on and you are actually allowed to remount, you have wasted your warm up. (Horse scores in the 20's at Int if you handle him right.) 40 plus minutes in a coat in 90 degrees+ WILL cause you to pass out and fall off your horse. Ask me how I know.