PDA

View Full Version : Contacts for collies?

PhoenixFarm
Jun. 11, 2010, 11:19 PM
After several unfortunate encounters with the local rescue community (won't adopt to a farm, trying to push an unsuitable dog, etc., etc.) I am beginning to strongly consider a collie. I would prefer a smooth coat, and I would prefer to adopt or get an older dog (NorCal collie rescue does not have any suitables right now, would consider a retiring show dog, etc.), however a puppy is not out of the question.

Just wondering if any of the folks here have a connection or breeder to recommend?

I started this looking for a small, spayed female of any breed from a shelter as a companion to my elderly jack/beagle who has been lost since the sudden loss of my Dobie. But it needs to be a dog suited to farm life (so not a chihuahua) be good with cats, kids, and people, in general a good egg. I've tried to do the right thing, and been frustrated, so now I'm thinking of just going the purebred route.

I worked with smooth coated collies as a teenager, and loved them, and read a thread on here singing their praises as a farm dog good with kids. So, I'm considering.

Yip
Jun. 11, 2010, 11:29 PM
I was one of those in that thread singing the praises of collies for kids.

I am in NC and would have to look seriously to find one here. They're not as easy to find as they were years ago. Good luck in finding just the right one for your family!

Yip

SMF11
Jun. 12, 2010, 09:39 AM
If you are interested in an old-fashioned farmcollie, you could look at nesr.info. (They are also called English Shepherds). They are good with all the above (mine adores cats, I've never seen a dog like him). However, they are bred to be watch dogs so they bark whenever anyone new comes around (at a minimum) and are sometimes protective of their home, so that needs managing.

Also, they are high energy, so not sure if that's a good fit for an elderly dog.

LauraKY
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
We have a rough coat collie and she is the best dog ever! Loves kids, plays tag with them. Goes to the barn, plays with the cats, sleeps in the tack room (with her fan in the summer) while we're working.

She is suffering miserably from the heat this year, though. I would definitely get a smooth coat the next time.

If you look at breeders, make sure they are eye testing and that your dog is normal eyed. They're also prone to joint problems.

We lived in Maryland when we bought our puppy and had to go to New Jersey to find a breeder.

Good luck.

Kate66
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:14 PM
Damn, I wish you lived closer, I would give you ours! She's absolutely beautiful and the friendliest thing out, but damn, she's a herder and despite getting kicked in the teeth she will be back at the same horse 2 mins later.

SMF11
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:20 PM
She is suffering miserably from the heat this year, though. I would definitely get a smooth coat the next time.

I clipped (shaved) mine about a month ago b/c he was miserable too. Seemed to do the trick . . . you might want to think about it. Although my husband is a bit embarrassed about the way he looks :cool:

hey101
Jun. 13, 2010, 01:18 PM
I worked with smooth coated collies as a teenager, and loved them, and read a thread on here singing their praises as a farm dog good with kids. So, I'm considering.

I too was probably on that thread singing the smooth-coat collies' praises. We did not have children when we were on our farm, but she was an awesome farm dog. And now we have an 18mo old child and she has been an even better kid-dog. Never ONCE has she made ANY kind of threatening gesture to the baby (if she had, she'd have been gone yesterday). Sometimes she's a little too boisterous trying to "kiss" the baby, but the baby doesnt mind- in fact her first word was "dog"! Follwed by "Allie" (the dog's name). "Mommy" and "Daddy" were a distant second. :lol:

At some point in the next five years I hope to combine the kid-and-farm thing again, hopefully before this specific collie departs from our lives (she's 7 now). If she doesn't get to go back to "her" farm (and make no mistake, in her mind it was "her" farm and she protected it for us to safely live there! :D), I would probably strongly consider another smooth-coat before any other breed.

She was a pure-bred that we adopted from friends of ours. I can contact her previous owners to get the breeder name if you'd like, if you are looking all over the US.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 13, 2010, 01:31 PM
SMF11- I thinks the OP is looking for a short-haired version of a Lassie collie.:)

I know, I have border collies (which also of course come in both rough and smooth), and this thread made me look too.:lol:

I like english shepherds. I have a bc who I've always suspected may have a little english shepherd in her. She's a leggy smooth-coated tri, who works her sheep very upright and loose-eyed (as opposed to the classic bc "crouch and stare"). I pulled her from a shelter located near a commercial english shepherd kennel.

Bluey
Jun. 13, 2010, 01:41 PM
Have you contacted some of these people?

http://www.collieclubofamerica.org/cca_district_directors.html

Some of them may be able to help you.:cool:

TuxWink
Jun. 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
I also won't deal with rescues again. I adopted my cat from one, and they were a psycho pain in the neck. I do have two dogs I "rescued" as they were dumped in the canyon where I board my horse.

One is a border collie mix and he is the best dog ever. Smart, obedient, very good with kids and other dogs. He only herds us, never the horses. (The other is a not-so-smart but very sweet lab.)

I understand wanting to go through a breeder, but I would also try looking at Craigslist for families trying to re-home dogs if you haven't already.

Yip
Jun. 13, 2010, 04:20 PM
OUr rough collie has been suffering in the heat too.

I won't clip the top of him because sometimes when people do that, it ruins the coat forever. I clipped off all his feathers and *pants* in the back. Then I clipped his underside from (and incl.) armpits to tail, and the inside stifles. That's all it took to make him happy.

Yip

LauraKY
Jun. 13, 2010, 05:32 PM
Yip, that's just why I haven't shaved mine. I was told that the hair just will never grow back in correctly.

We've clipped her "pits" and I wet her down if she's going to be outside in the heat for any length of time. She's 10 and is smart enough to know when the temp is too hot and refuses to leave the house.

Our air conditioning was on the blink for 4 days this week and she refused to leave her fan in the house. Thankfully, it was partially fixed on Friday and is to be completely fixed tomorrow. This is the hottest June I can remember in Kentucky. Humid too. Thought I left all that in Baltimore!

iechris
Jun. 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
Here's a link to the paid breeder's listing from Collies Online, these folks are likely to be show oriented, so may have a retiring show dog.

http://www.colliesonline.com/breeders/states/ca.php#mid

You also might try Marcy Fine, Overland Collies in OH, she breeds pretty regularly, so might also have something that she is looking to place:

http://www.overlandcollies.com/

My friend herds with her rough collies and to keep it horse-related, while the herd the sheep they leave the horses on the same property alone.

Carolinadreamin'
Jun. 13, 2010, 06:00 PM
http://collierescue.net/ A quick glance through their site shows a couple of smooth coated collies. Even though they are in the carolinas, it looks like they have adopted to states as far as Washington. Would be worth a call or e-mail.

Love my collie.

cheval convert
Jun. 13, 2010, 09:56 PM
I also won't deal with rescues again. I adopted my cat from one, and they were a psycho pain in the neck. I do have two dogs I "rescued" as they were dumped in the canyon where I board my horse.

One is a border collie mix and he is the best dog ever. Smart, obedient, very good with kids and other dogs. He only herds us, never the horses. (The other is a not-so-smart but very sweet lab.)

I understand wanting to go through a breeder, but I would also try looking at Craigslist for families trying to re-home dogs if you haven't already.

Please don't give up on rescues. Some are psycho (I gave up on adopting from the Wheaten Terrier Rescue) but some are very easy to deal with .(I did adopt through the australian shepherd rescue and they were very easy to deal with. And now, 2 years later when I have suffered a major set-back with my aussie, they have been there to offer training suggestions and encouragement. If I had the time, I would foster for them.)

chai
Jun. 13, 2010, 10:52 PM
I grew up with collies and as an adult I had a collie mix from a shelter. They are such wonderful dogs. I'm sure you probably know this already, but because this is a collie thread, I'll do my psa about the dangers of collies or collie mixes and Ivermectin.

My collie mix almost died back in the mid 1990's after eating a tiny bit of apple that one of my horses dropped after I dewormed them with Zimecterin. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but hours later, he was staggering and completely out of it.

Even though I brought the Zimecterin box with me to the vet, the vet initially diagnosed it as hip dysplasia, and almost finished off our poor dog with pain relievers instead of treating our dog for poisoning. He finally listened to me and did some digging, to find that collies and other herding type dogs cannot tolerate Ivermectin, which can be fatal to them.

So if you have a collie or collie mix, be very careful when you deworm your horses to make sure your dog doesn't pick up even a few drops of Ivermectin off the barn floor!

leilatigress
Jun. 14, 2010, 12:31 PM
I'll swear by the Aussies and Blue Heelers. Heelers tend to be a bit quiet. I had the chance to handle a few smooth coated collies and would love to have one myself if I had the space. I however reserve mine for the abused and neglected smaller pups with behavior issues.

FoxChaser
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:27 PM
Sorry to be late to the thread. Have you had any luck finding a dog? We have a retired show smoothie and will always have one :) I have two kids and he is the ideal family dog. He's never offered to herd the horses and is generally the very best farm dog ever! He's a tri-color and it is rare that anyone knows what he is ("Is that a doberman borzoi cross you got there?"). I love him and he loves his job :)

ETA: If you are looking nationwide, I have a dog who originally came from here (http://www.lisara.com/Adults_Available.htm). They breed smoothies as well as rough collies and occasionally (now) have adults available.

BLBGP
Jul. 1, 2010, 04:36 PM
Sonoma Humane won't adopt to farms?