PDA

View Full Version : Thefts at Shows

Divine Comedy
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
I normally don't start threads (mainly because I don't have hours in which to respond! :-P) but I thought that this topic was worth a discussion.

One of the riders in my area is at Colorado Horse Park this weekend, and her trainer's trailer was broken into. Nothing was stolen, although no one was sure why, but some damage was done. She updated on her status on Facebook, and her mother commented that they wouldn't be going back to Parker again.

Now that bothered me, because it really isn't something the show can control, so I mentioned that it is rather par for the course at some of the big horse parks. I know a couple of years ago, a horse trailer was stolen at the Kentucky Horse Park. Apparently the thieves just hitched up and moved out in broad daylight and no one questioned it because it didn't look out of place.

The mother replied and said that it shouldn't be par for the course, that with the economy the way it is, shows should be taking extra steps to ensure security. She said that they had been to the NAYRC twice and the security there was excellent and that competitors shouldn't have to worry so much about protecting their expensive equipment. I was about to reply to that when I realized that she was right.

So I bring it to you all now. What do you think is the best solution for this sort of thing? Horse shows are incredibly tempting targets, with lots of expensive equipment just lying around unattended. But we really shouldn't have to be afraid of our equipment being damaged or stolen.

On the other hand, I just can't see events being able to afford full blown security, such as the security at NAYRC (which I have heard about, but not seen). NAYRC is incredibly lucky to have plenty of financial backing and a very high profile. Most events are lucky to just break even.

So what should we do?

Should we just make friends with those in stalls and trailers around us and hope that they're around when we're not? Should shows ask local cops to patrol (no idea what that costs)? Should they hire local security?

Or do we have to just accept that it can just be a part of horse showing life and safeguard our property the best we can?

DandyMatiz
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:13 PM
Well safeguarding ones property is always a good idea. Locking stuff, etc. There are trailer locks (not sure how well they work) even, so no one just come up and haul a trailer off.

you can get camera's fairly inexpensively now.

vehicle alarm systems..

etc.

Would it be nice for the show to provide security... Yes. But I don't consider it there "job" really. They run the show, they can't control all the people there.

MrBob
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:27 PM
we are very lucky here, in the UK theft at shows and from barns is rampant. Lets hope it stays that way.

seeuatx
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:33 PM
My question would be whether the rider in question would be willing to pay (much) hire security for the weekend. I'm assuming they'd actually have to hire staff since lord knows Events are having a hard enough time staffing the jump judge crew.

NAYRC would have (be able to afford) security comparatively. It's a much larger deal than most regional events, and has much larger sponsors as well.

Otherwise, I try to keep everything locked up. I do not lock stuff in my trailer since there is no dressing room. It goes in a locked vehicle or hotel room (when there). If the stalls are set up as such, I'll buy a tack stall with buddies and lock it. I do try to make friends with my "neighbors" at the show and introduce them to whomever is with me. I hope if something funny happens they might notice and report it to me.

melodiousaphony
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:42 PM
Yikes, I never considered that a whole parked trailer could be stolen.
Guess I'm going to go out and buy a receiver as well as hitch look for both ends of my trailer (in case I forget to put the ball in my truck).

Grasshopper
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:00 PM
I agree that in an ideal world, one shouldn't have to worry about theft, but since we do, I have to say I don't think it's really practical for an organizer to have the responsibility of hiring security to prevent it. After all, even with a security patrol, how do they know who is or is not authorized to pick up and walk off with, say, a saddle from a trailer or barn? If I recall correctly, barns are closed overnight for FEI events, so having security there serves a very real purpose, maybe that's why NAYRC events have security? Just a guess....

It is a pain, though, to have to remember and take the time to secure one's equipment when one is focused on competing and getting self and horse prepared!

LAZ
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:31 PM
The Security at the NAYRC is due to FEI requirments, the same ones you find at Rolex, Fair Hill, etc. The bitching for credentials to get into the barn is legion. :winkgrin: And the security does not extend to the parking lot, just the barns.

Thefts occur everywhere and blaming show managment is just plain silly. We had a night check security service available for competitors for a few years (this was a big dressage show I ran) and discontinued it due to the lack of competitors willing to pay for said service. I can imagine if you offered additional barn security at the cost of $30/day/competitor there would be mighty few takers.

Introduce yourself to the people around you at the barns so everyone is familar with everyone else. It makes friends and also creates a neighborhood watch sort of thing. Lock up your valuables. Don't dare fate by leaving your wallet out with easy access, etc.

Unfortunately there are always going to be low lifes that would rather take other peoples things than earn their own way.

ksbadger
Jun. 13, 2010, 10:56 PM
Most of our local dressage shows provide security at night but normally only of the stalls. Some city-owned facilities will even have a member of the local police force patrolling as the town economy relies heavily on them. Some event venues also provide a night check on stalls but it's more for the horses' well-being than anti-theft.

maudie
Jun. 13, 2010, 11:07 PM
I've seen one barn in the area with matching polos/hats. If you aren't wearing a polo, they know you're not supposed to be rooting around in the stuff. We always have someone sitting by the barns, and the trailers are right across from the stabling area. Everyone parks their trucks in frontof their respective trailers.

RiverBendPol
Jun. 14, 2010, 07:36 AM
we are very lucky here, in the UK theft at shows and from barns is rampant. Lets hope it stays that way.

Is this what you really meant to say?:winkgrin:

ramp·ant   [ram-puhnt] Show IPA
–adjective
violent in action or spirit; raging; furious: a rampant leopard.
growing luxuriantly, as weeds.
in full sway; prevailing or unchecked: a rampant rumor.

monalisa
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:09 AM
It is literally impossible to provide decent security at shows because the security people have no way to know who is supposed to be in a certain place and who isn't. They may see someone in a tack room at a show, for example, but how will security know if that person belongs there or not? Impossible.

I used to show at a facility (which will remain nameless) in which there was rampant vandalism in the parking lot of the facility (over a period of many months) in which someone was coming in and using a tool or baseball bat and shattering windshields and the back windows of SUVs and going in and stealing pocket books. This person apparently knew that riders leave their purses in cars while they ride. This facility refused to have any kind of security available to stop this. Someone could have been planted in the lot to keep an eye out as this was happening in broad daylight, like 9 am in the morning. Needless to say, I don't show there anymore and have no idea whether this has stopped or not.

Long Shadow Farm
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
I show in the QH world along with Eventing from time to to and I can tell you this is a big problem at the large shows held at various fairgrounds and show complexes throughout the nation. I think that the Eventers haven't had to face as much because mose of the horse trials are held in more remote areas rather than Fairground that are usually inside city limits.

Best advice, Lock everything up! I cannot believe all the people who will leave their saddles, etc out in front of their stalls or in unsecured tack stalls. Those people are begging to get stuff stolen. Common sense people. If you are going to get a tack stall, make sure the stall is fairly securable (some stalls at HTs are not.... actually I like portable stalls because they are better to secure than ones with gate doors only. Invest in tack stall curtains. If you cannot see the stuff and it's secured behind a lock, chances are the theives are going to go on to the next one that they know they can get stuff out of quickly. Lock your trucks! And conceal your wallets, purses in the glove box or somewhere it cannot be seen.

I have been very shocked by the nothing bad is going to happen attitude held by most eventers when it comes to tack and possible theft. Also invest in a good tire lock for your trailer. The ball hitches for the gooseneck trailers are worthless. If you can back under the gooseneck, then they can steal it. All you have to do is put a spare tire in the bed of the truck, lower the hitch down onto that and drive out slowly until you get to a place that they can break off the lock and hitch it up properly. I am having my husband make me a hitch lock that hangs down so low you cannot back under it. Plus my jack handle comes off and get locked either in the trailer or the truck.

Bobbi

KateWooten
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:54 AM

–adjective

I think she did mean to say that ... or, re-ordered for clarity ...

We are very lucky here (in the US). Let's hope it stays that way. In contrast to the UK, where theft at shows and from barns is rampant.

(at least that's the way I understand it. I would never leave anything unlocked or left out, anywhere in the UK, horse show or not !

wolfmare
Jun. 14, 2010, 10:32 AM

–adjective

I could see using the word rampant... as in thievery is growing unchecked...I got a chuckle from the "hoping it stays that way" which I did not perceive to be about us being lucky, but as wishing the thievery continues.. :):)

RacetrackReject
Jun. 14, 2010, 12:26 PM

–adjective

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is what MrBob (aka Peter Atkins) meant to say. I believe he was saying that in the US, where he is now, theft is not anything like how bad it is in the UK, and he hoped it stayed that way.