PDA

View Full Version : OK, I know others have had this problem: event watch stopped beeping!

asterix
Jun. 11, 2010, 03:39 PM
So, my event watch was giving me the low battery signal, and actually stopped (although did not go dead) during my last xc run...
I took it to the watch place, and they replaced the battery...and it absolutely will not beep any more :mad: -- they said they think it's a contact problem with the little speaker in the back of the watch....
I feel like this is a problem others have had...any ideas ???
We tried three times to take it apart, redo the battery replacement, no luck....

TXnGA
Jun. 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
That happened to me last fall. The watch stopped beeping no matter what we did with the battery. I figured it was about due because i had had the watch 10+ years.

So for christmas i bought a new one. I hope you can fix it, but it might be unfixable. Or try calling the manufacturer....

asterix
Jun. 11, 2010, 04:11 PM
well, unless i get some secret tips here i will call the manufacturer. very grumpy right now!

Highflyer
Jun. 11, 2010, 04:36 PM
It has to do with the battery placement. Before you chuck it, try taking it to the BoB trailer and having them look at it. I'm told they can fix it. I actually prefer my watch nonbeeping so haven't tried.

asterix
Jun. 11, 2010, 06:00 PM
ah, good idea. I will do that at my next event, thanks!

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 11, 2010, 06:13 PM
Mine quit beeping at least 5 years ago.... but I too have had mine for about 10 years. Never bothered to do much about it, and now I'm not competing much soo.... oh well!

CatchMeIfUCan
Jun. 11, 2010, 07:38 PM
I think it is something like "you have to flip the battery over" but it's been a while since that happened to me. It definitely has to do with the battery though!

asterix
Jun. 11, 2010, 08:55 PM
yeah I mentioned that to them, but they said they put it in exactly the way the other one was....
harrumph.

Jazzy Lady
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:33 PM
Open it up yourself and flip the cover around. Something is upside down. They may not have put it in the exact same way. It's happened to me before.

avezan
Jun. 12, 2010, 07:49 AM
The typical answer is that the back cover is put on upside down rather than that the position of the battery is wrong. Try rotating the back cover 180 degrees and putting the screws back in. Make sure the writing on the back cover is right side up. There are contact points on the back cover that need to touch the battery. If this doesn't work, then it is possible that the contacts have been damaged and it will not beep again. It is probably easier to buy a new watch than get an old one fixed. The newer watches have a better battery system.