PDA

View Full Version : Feral kittens in my hay barn (the kittens have found homes)

bird4416
Jun. 11, 2010, 12:30 PM
I discovered some kittens in my hay barn today. They look to be about 5-6 weeks old. Any ideas on how to catch them? I've got a live trap baited with some tuna. Anyone got any better ideas? They are hidden in a bunch of pallets that are leaning up against the wall so not really accessible without a lot of effort and I think they could fall and squish a kitten if I start messing with them.

GotGait
Jun. 11, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hmmm... when I had to catch 4-5 week old ferals, I put on oven mitts and made a grab for as many as I could while they were "hiding". I managed to catch them all even though they were amazingly quick and vicious even at that tiny stage. You think, oh cute, little kittehs... yeah right. :eek:
Good luck. Definitely invest in some oven mitts.

P.S. They became sweet cats.

katie+tru
Jun. 11, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'd go with the live trap... spare your oven mitts. lol If the tuna doesn't get them, go to the pet store and find a quality wet food, something that will smell really strong and really tasty. Heck, you might even catch the mother.

theoldgreymare
Jun. 11, 2010, 02:16 PM
The mother's will usually move them once they know humans have found their hiddy hole. Make your presence known and momma kitty will relocate them. Trap if you want to relocate them to a shelter or AC for spay/neuter.

bird4416
Jun. 11, 2010, 03:56 PM
Well, so far I have caught 4 kittens and the momma cat. I reset the trap in case there are any more. My vet was kind enough to lend me a large dog kennel so I have the moma and 1 kitten in there and the rest of the kittens are in a smaller crate. I plan on turning the kittens loose in the stall once I have it kitten proofed. The momma will go to the vet to be spayed on Monday and then released back on the farm. The kittens will need to be rehomed as I already have 6 cats and several ferals to feed.

So, if anyone needs barn kittens please contact me. I will take some pics as soon as I find a spare minute. They are really cute.

bird4416
Jun. 11, 2010, 08:42 PM
Here are the promised cute kitty pics.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2421102690034166832zZchjQ

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2653728320034166832gjKeyj

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2623720380034166832CdMYWt

Zu Zu
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:32 PM
Bless you for helping them and their mother. I have many ferals ~ all fixed ~ make wonderful barn or house cats. Thanks for sharing the pictures ~ they are very cute.

Huntertwo
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:36 PM
Awww, they are adorable!!! Thank you so much for helping these little guys out instead of them reproducing and adding to the overpopulation.

Great job at catching mom too! Is she a Tortie?

Rubyfree
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:45 PM
ZOMG kittens. Thanks for looking out for them.

It may just be that there isn't anything for size reference, but they look a little older than 6 weeks to me. I hope you can get them socialized enough to be good barn kitties. :)

bird4416
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm guessing about the age so they may be closer to 8 weeks. And yes, momma is a tortie.

Huntertwo
Jun. 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm guessing about the age so they may be closer to 8 weeks. And yes, momma is a tortie.

I love Torties!!!! Have one right now, plus an orange, all black, tuxedo....and so on. ;)

Diamondindykin
Jun. 12, 2010, 11:00 AM
OMG you have an orangie:D I LOFF orangies............if you were closer I would take that one in a heartbeat but unfortunatly I live in Washington state :(

bird4416
Jun. 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
Check out this cutie.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2460014900034166832RTcoFB

KrazyTBMare
Jun. 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
Note to self: Dont open kitten piccy threads!

The cute black and white with the white stripe looks just like my cat Patches but where the back is, put calico! The other two in that pic are like ZOMG person! and that ones just like Yehhhh heyyyy Im just chillin.

The last one on your lap is to die for!

Buffyblue
Jun. 12, 2010, 08:30 PM
Aw they are just soooooooooooooo cute! Mommy is a beauty too! Good luck with them!

StGermain
Jun. 12, 2010, 09:25 PM
I wish I could get my barn cats to stay barn cats. My two neutered toms like life in the house, with a warm waterbed in the winter and A/C in the summer and a never-ending supply of kibble. Occasionally one will mosey down to the barn for a day of pretending to be a big-game hunter, but then it's back to the lap. My giant schnauzer pup is a better hunter than the cats!

StG

Guin
Jun. 12, 2010, 09:27 PM
Loff the orangey one.

CR Gorge Girl
Jun. 13, 2010, 01:35 AM
awww! I love the orange one(s). I had such a cool cat that was orange, unfortunatly I think his sister--got them both from the vets office, think they were dropoffs?-- sold her soul to the coyotes to get her brother offed. Our current barn cat is also an orange and he just awesome. He randomly showed up at our place, disappeared, and then came back about a year later, and now he's been our barn cat for 2-3 years now! Very loving, knows his place is in the barn, except when theres this feral tom around that beats him up, then he gets to come in the utility room at night.

When I was little we always had plenty of kitties for me to tame, lol. There was a feral female and tom that couldn't be caught or touched and so we always had a healthy supply of barn cats (Cats usually don't last long around here, there are a ton of coyotes).

darkmoonlady
Jun. 13, 2010, 02:09 AM
The easier way of doing this and don't laugh, Laser Pointer and a pet carrier. Go sit quietly with a laser pointer, and have the door of the pet carrier set so you can close it with a string. Kittens are unable to not follow the laser I caught wild kittens that way and then once you have one caught just quietly go about enticing the others but you'll have to have a place to put the kittens as you catch them, so you can still use the pet carrier as a trap...

Kris26
Jun. 13, 2010, 05:13 AM
Darkmoonlady that is too funny about the laser pointer! and too true... it's like their kryptonite!!
Bird great job helping the feral cat population, you are doing a great thing! Try the craigslist in your area and advert them as barn kitties.. just make sure they have to get them spayed/neutered
The momma cat is adorable and her nose being orange makes her look so dignified ;)

strawberry roan
Jun. 13, 2010, 07:14 AM
Well done catching them! They are so adorable! :)

bird4416
Jun. 13, 2010, 10:39 AM
The kittens staged a jail break this morning. I rounded the corner of the barn aisle just in time to see a black kitten butt scuttle into a stall. I checked my kitten stall and found only 2 of my four kittens still there. I quickly rounded up the one kitten I saw enter the stall and called for reinforcements to find the missing Panda kitten. We looked high and low and couldn't find her anywhere. Finally my daughter started making kitten sounds and Panda started answering and we found her under a pallet in the hay room.

Now my husband and friend are using (no kidding) a welder and FRP to secure the stall from further escape.

Zu Zu
Jun. 13, 2010, 10:45 AM
Close call :eek: ~ glad you found all :D ~ Jingles continue for you and the kittens and mother cat.

Catersun
Jun. 13, 2010, 11:43 AM
Bird- the upsde down laying on his back kitten looks SOOOO feral ;;)) LOL

bird4416
Jun. 13, 2010, 03:01 PM
The kittens are taming down quickly. The momma on the other hand is not liking this plan. At. ALL. Tomorrow is spay day for her and then if there are no complications she can go back to a life of freedom in the hay barn.

bird4416
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:09 AM
Just dropped momma cat off to be spayed. Please, any of you Georgia folks (or anywhere else nearby) need a barn cat (or house cat) send me a PM. I already have 6 house and barn cats and am feeding at least 3 ferals. I cannot keep these kittens so they are in desperate need of homes.

bird4416
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:20 PM
Kitten pile. Major awwww moment.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2059285910034166832CDsWcm

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
Dang, I wish I was not 6 hours away, those kitties are just too cute. The other thing that prevents me from jumping in the truck is that we have deed restrictions to 4 domestic animals, and we have 4 dogs.

Jingles that you can find good homes for them asap.

Buffyblue
Jun. 15, 2010, 07:52 AM
Glad you caught the little renegades and hope Mommy's surgery went well. They are all so CUTE!

Zu Zu
Jun. 15, 2010, 09:21 AM
Morning Jingles for this group ~ hoping all transitions are going smoothly. Don't forget to have female marked as "spayed" in case she is ever caught again = so they know she has ALREADY been spayed. Good Luck !

Piatt Farms
Jun. 15, 2010, 02:51 PM
ok where "north of Atlanta" are you? My sister may be interested. She's actually in Atlanta (inside the circle if that makes sense to you)

Huntertwo
Jun. 15, 2010, 03:24 PM
Kitten pile. Major awwww moment.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2059285910034166832CDsWcm

Definitely - "Awwwww" :):) The one of the left has neat markings...

bird4416
Jun. 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
ok where "north of Atlanta" are you? My sister may be interested. She's actually in Atlanta (inside the circle if that makes sense to you)

I am in southeast Cherokee county just over the county line from Alpharetta/Milton.

snkstacres
Jun. 15, 2010, 04:37 PM
Lord those are a cute bunch of kitties. Bird, I would gladly take another barn kitty from your brood but little kittens dont do well here unfortunately. IF any happen to get half grown before they are adopted, i will home one. Do you think they will look good with 15 boxer cross puppies LOL

jen-s
Jun. 15, 2010, 05:29 PM
They are PRECIOUS! Good luck finding homes. I sooo wish I could have one, but my senior kitty would mutiny.

bird4416
Jun. 18, 2010, 07:49 AM
The kittens have all found excellent homes. Two went with Cother LKF on Thursday and the other 2 leave today to go to a friend that lives around the corner. Momma was spayed and turned loose into the hay barn where I trapped her and the food I've been putting out at night is gone by morning so I'm hoping she is the one eating it.

Now if I could just catch the beautiful orange tom cat that has been hanging around and get him neutered, maybe my feral population will stabilize.

Nlevie
Jun. 21, 2010, 05:27 PM
Good for you Bird ! They were adorable and Thank you for taking care of them.

Zu Zu
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
Congratulations on a job well done ~ bless you for helping all of them esp Momma ~ :cool::D