PDA

View Full Version : Weed eating equipment...DR Power???

SaddleFitterVA
Jun. 11, 2010, 08:09 AM
It has been a very, very lush spring. And, while my home-from-college son is just keeping up with the mowing, the weed eating is falling a bit behind, particularly in the back, because he is dreadfully allergic to poison ivy, and the worst fenceline is a wooded border, with lots. Also, he would prefer that he not be paid by his parents. Because that is just barely more than a handout in his opinion. And, soon, I'm going to have to deal with him not being available for hire, he will work for a company or someone else...and I'll have to pick up a bit more maintenance...or plan on hiring it out!

I've seen ads for the DR Power Equipment, and I've considered it, since it would enable me to do a bit of weed eating...I mean clearing. An aside....if you google "weed eating" you get links to eating marijuana sites...and while if I did that kind of weed eating, I might not care about the other, I would still be left with a maintenance issue.

http://www.drpower.com/trimmer-mower.aspx This is the site for the trimmers.

The conventional trimmers kill my back.

So, reviews? My searches here on weed eating and DR Power did not yield anything that looked promising.

I hope Tom King sees this, because he has a lot of equipment experience.

Frank B
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:11 AM
I don't know if DR uses distributors, but many rental places have them, so you can try one without commitment.

I rented one to give it a whirl (pun intended) several years back and it worked beautifully. It was not as maneuverable as my Husqvarna hand-held trimmer, and on uneven or hilly ground it was not as easy to handle as the videos depict them.

The gap between the string trimmer and the lawn tractor was not wide enough to justify the cost in my circumstances. YMMV.

They are (or at least were) well-make machines and "underpowered" is not a word in their vocabulary.

blaster
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:45 AM
I bought a STIHL FS110 weed wacker. The thing is an animal. Although I only run it with string, you can also run it with a circular saw looking head for heavy duty application (clearing saplings, etc). With the string, I can clear knee high grass at my normal walking speed. It can also go through pinky-sized vines easily with string.

fivehorses
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
I have that model...hmmm, I think. I like it somewhat because I can't hold up a trimmer for very long.
On the other hand, it needs smooth ground. Definitely get the one with power to walk, rather than push.
The path is very narrow.

It has its use, but I would not rebuy one, especially for the price.

I have seen similar at HD for lots less. I'd buy that before spending that kind of money on the DR.

Guilherme
Jun. 11, 2010, 11:06 AM
My son is very allergic to poison ivy. Trust me when I say you DON'T want to "weed eat" poison ivy with high speed trimmer if you're allergic as you WILL get "hit." Even if you dress right (long pants, shirt, dust mask, etc.) you'll get it when you undress and the residual oil in the clothes gets on your skin.

The situation the OP describes is custom made for RoundUp. It does a very good job on poison ivy (and other weeds) and is relatively easy to apply. Even after it dies, however, poison ivy has the ability to cause trouble as the oil in the plant decays very slowly.

If the health of your son matters use the RoundUp.

G.

SaddleFitterVA
Jun. 11, 2010, 01:50 PM
I wasn't clear, the son won't touch that back fenceline. Even for money.:lol:

And honestly, after our ER trip a few years ago, for IV steroids, because they under-dosed him on oral steroids on the first ER trip 18 hours earlier...well, I don't encourage him to go back there.

I was thinking of using a RoundUp type product, but there is other clearing/mowing that needs to be done as well. Once we get it cleared, I think we might mulch back there. To at least slow growth.

Good to hear on the DR tools. I will see if I can find them locally to rent. They are expensive, so I would seriously have to do a cost/benefit analysis on the equipment.

horsepoor
Jun. 11, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have no personal experience with this type of weed whacker, but my Dad just gave one away (moving and didn't need it anymore). No one in my family wanted it because they all said it just whips the stuff at you so bad, it was unpleasant to use. Now, knowing my dad, this was some ancient model that he picked up at some sale somewhere so may not be the same as what you can buy new, but it sure looked like the picture at the link the OP posted. So I guess I'd second the rental suggestion to see if it really will work for you.

Kate66
Jun. 11, 2010, 07:23 PM
I have the DR trimmer that you have the link to.

Pros:
- It does save your back
- it's cuts through anything as long as you put that heavy duty string on it - the blue one with the twirl in it (from DR), although you can also buy the heaviest duty weed whacker string and use that too
- you can attach some cool attachments, like the blade, which cuts through some healthy sized saplings
- it has some good settings where you can push it in a straight line and it will cut under your fence at an angle
- we've run ours pretty constantly for 7 years and only just had our 1st issue with some moisture getting into the fuel. The local small engine mechanic fixed it for $35

Cons:
- initial investment is quite high
- the wheels should be big and round rather that those silly thin ones. We do have quite uneven ground and although it is manageable, on uneven or pitted ground it can be a bit harder

Actually, thinking through this, I would buy it again. A friend bought one from Home Depot and really it's a toy compared to this. The one we have is the 6.5HP

fivehorses
Jun. 11, 2010, 07:40 PM
I had to look and check it out. I have the 8.25 self propelled electric start.
I like it...but the boys don't. Not hefty enough, slow and awkward.
But, it does allow me to do areas closer to the house. But for field work...I send the boys out with weed whackers.
I love the electric start, but as I said, the path is very narrow, and that makes for time consuming, laborious work. I wish it had a path of 24" vs the 8" or so it does have.