PDA

View Full Version : Skunk vs Velvet for Eventing Dressage Helmet

Lincoln
Jun. 10, 2010, 09:15 PM
I feel antique but am replacing old velvet helmet (well past its five year dump-by date) and am debating CO velvet vs CO vented. Thoughts? Tradition vs hipness? I have a CO skull for XC that I've been using with the black cover for S, so looking cool going S is less important to me - particularly with a long dressage coat on I certainly would never be confused with a h/j rider. Seems like the new helmet wearing types in big time Dressage and eventing are preferring vented helmets but I do like the traditional look of velvet. Apologies if this has been beaten to death elsewhere, I searched but did not find. What do others think?

Ajierene
Jun. 10, 2010, 10:02 PM
Personally, I like velvet for shows, so I wear a velvet helmet. A troxel Grand Prix, which is a low profile helmet and I find it comfortable.

wildlifer
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:53 AM
Why can't you wear the same helmet you wear for jumping? Really the judge doesn't give a darn what shape your helmet is.

If you buy I new one, I'd say no to looking like a skunk though. It just looks, well, like a skunk!

GotSpots
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
The Charles Owens Hampton is a lovely helmet - usually what I wear in dressage, and I see a number of them in the warm up rings. Velvet and very classic looking. Allison Springer wore a Charles Owen helmet (though all navy, without the stripe) in the dressage at Rolex - it's a gorgeous helmet that looks traditional but is very comfortable.

scubed
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
I wear the all black JR8 for all phases (with a cover for xc). I am incapable of dealing with extra gear (wear same Pikeur for dressage and SJ if coats not waived). I like it as it is easier upkeep than velvet.

Maya01
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:42 AM
The Charles Owens Hampton is a lovely helmet - usually what I wear in dressage, and I see a number of them in the warm up rings. Velvet and very classic looking. Allison Springer wore a Charles Owen helmet (though all navy, without the stripe) in the dressage at Rolex - it's a gorgeous helmet that looks traditional but is very comfortable.

I prefer the new CO Rider. It's more low-profile than the Hampton and a bit cheaper :)

saje
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:42 AM
Wear whatever fits well, is comfortable, and is within the USEF rules.

badawg
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:44 AM
Agree with Saje, but I personally love the look of the Gr8 and own one myself. Although, mine is all black as well so the skunk look is quite minimized.

Lincoln
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:54 AM
Any comfort advantage to the vented helmets over velvet?

paintmare
Jun. 11, 2010, 11:25 AM
I don't have a CO, but a GPA, and I bought it because it had the venting. My head sweats like crazy and there is a dramatic difference in sweaty head between my velvet and the GPA, the GPA definately breaths more.