PDA

View Full Version : Where to ride and camp in Southern GA?

Cartfall
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:41 PM
A friend and I would like to come up to Georgia to camp and ride our TWHs.

We are from Florida and our horses are flat land horses. We have no hill to speak of to ride. We know we can;t take on the mountains of North GA, but were hoping there might be some hilly places to camp and ride a couple of days.

Can anyone offer some ideas?

Equibrit
Jun. 10, 2010, 06:07 PM
Georgia State Parks are pretty good - chose one; http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/parks.aspx?show=parks&go=1&s=0.0.1.5

General Coffee is probably the closest. The contour map indicates some small rises.

PRS
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:34 AM
I've ridden in Hard Labor Creek State park near Rutledge, GA. It's not necessarily South GA but its not considered north GA either. There is also Roosevelt State Park but I've heard that there are lots of rocks on the trails there. There is a new private trail park here in Central GA that you might be able to camp at. They don't have electric or water hook ups yet but there is water available and nice camp sites, you can call and find out if you can camp there: http://www.netstarz.net/mingo/. There isn't a LOT of hills but some rolling terrain and the footing on the trails is very good with lots of sand. Oconee National Forest is also here in Central GA and there are some steep hills there. I've camped at Suwannee Music Park in Live Oak, FL and really enjoyed it...but it is flat. Loved the sandy trails though.

katarine
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:32 AM
Nice accomodations, clean bath house, easy peasy wide trails, fishing pond, easy access off of 231. It's not GA but it's not far into AL either. Elevation changes of no more than 20-30' :)

Heart of Dixie Trail Ride in Troy, AL. Turn off the sound on the PC before hitting the website.

Oscar-Owen
Jun. 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
There is Lakeview Plantation in Fairfax, SC, and there is another place called broxton bridge plantation in SC also. They are easily found on any search engine. Personally I have not been to any of them yet....but I will eventually. Right now I am trying to find a place to board my horse near savannah, GA. I have not found a place yet....so I'm still looking. but have met some horse people in the area and they have ridden at these places and have told me that they have some nice trails.