PDA

View Full Version : I do NOT need more tack, I DO NOT NEED more tack!

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:15 PM
So, money is tight... like always... but I'm not living off PB&J/Ramen or anything...

Trashed my very old breast plate 6 months ago. It was getting to be unsafe, cracking leather, stretched elastic, etc.

New horse doesn't NEED a breast plate/running attachment, although all my horses have previously jumped in a running martingale.

Signed up for a clinic with Lucinda Green. She "recommends" bringing a running attachment, even if you don't normally use one. So, I can borrow a breast plate, no big deal. But now I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and BUY one for the new horse.

Thoughts?? SHOULD the little white horse have a breast plate (which then would allow my running attachment if I need it??)

brightskyfarm
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:28 PM
borrow.........borrow.....you said your new horse doesnt NEED one ...
Im resisting a beautiful aussie saddle on ebay....
resisting urge to look... im deleting the auto reminders...
so, let me help you ...

borrow

jn4jenny
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:32 PM
Borrow.

Although I'm a hypocrite for saying it since my horse owns a Bartville Harness Shop breastplate and running martingale that we practically never use. Lovely piece of tack.

subk
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:38 PM
Borrow. Then if you are going to WEG (or Rolex next year) buy one at the trade fair!

A little off topic, but I never could seem to get the running attachment to fit very well (of course it's been decades since I tried) is there a trick?

riderboy
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:49 PM
Ever notice that "what the hell.." is usually the right answer? If you need it or think you need it or think you might need it or think you might need it someday-BUY!

Grasshopper
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:49 PM
Borrow--plus then you can figure out what fits said new horse and what doesn't, for future reference. (I'm not a model of restraint myself recently, so can I consider this my good deed for the day?)

Edited to add: on the other hand, VTO's sale is coming up, I think.... ;)

subk--Not sure if this is what you meant re not fitting very well, but one can find adjustable running attachments, though it can take a little looking. I also add a snap to hook/unhook the attachment to/from the breastplate ring, which gives a bit more length as the non-adjustable ones I've tried always seem to be too short. (Plus the snap means it can be detached in a hurry should something go awry....)

Gryhrs
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thoughts?? SHOULD the little white horse have a breast plate

OF COURSE!! Of course you need more tack. You're an EVENTER!
Of course the little white horse deserves it. Of course so do you. Life is short. Just buy it. Someone needs to jumpstart the economy! Think of the greater good.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 10, 2010, 06:11 PM
My last breastplate was from Bartville. The new one (if I cave) will be too.

...I get paid tomorrow...I have the running attachment already...

Maybe Lucinda will tell me little white Wee Dee Trrr should definitely have a running.... then I'll HAVE to buy it. :D

subk
Jun. 10, 2010, 06:17 PM
Maybe Lucinda will tell me little white Wee Dee Trrr should definitely have a running.... then I'll HAVE to buy it. :D
If Lucinda says so then you really have no choice...

Blugal
Jun. 10, 2010, 06:28 PM
Wee Dee Trrr

If that's really your horse's name... I love it! :lol:

jn4jenny
Jun. 10, 2010, 07:35 PM
Sooooo....when's the clinic? If memory serves, Bartville usually has a sale in late June. Not to enable your or anything.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
Clinic is this weekend (I'm very excited.) It's my boy's first clinic, I hope we are ready.

YES! His name is Wee Dee Trrr.... We call him Westley around the barn. :lol:

rocky213
Jun. 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
Just got the brochure for Bartville's 4th of July sale. Starts June 26th and end July 4th. 10% off everything ... not that I am enabling you or anything !!! :D

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 10, 2010, 10:09 PM
Do you have to buy in store for the discount?? :winkgrin:

ohhthatgirl
Jun. 11, 2010, 01:03 AM
I like subk's Rolex/WEG answer. :yes:
And I'm also incredibly jealous of you!

BeverlyAStrauss
Jun. 11, 2010, 07:03 AM
No, you dont have to go to Bartville in person but you have to mail in your order with payment during the sale days.......

Besides, you are not buying MORE tack, you are replacing that void left after trashing the old one! It is almost like having an empty stall.........

I am not a big shopper but all those TV shows recommend if you buy one thing, get rid of/donate another thing, to avoid accumulating a whole bunch of stuff.......so you are a step ahead already!

Mags
Jun. 11, 2010, 07:31 AM
I think you should borrow one. Check the sizing. Go to the clinic have an awsome time. Then hit the sale. Get your little white horse a new breast plate. Kinda like a prize for your restrant before the clinic:D

bigbaytb
Jun. 11, 2010, 12:51 PM
borrow it if you can...

and if you know what you want, you can probably find the exaxt one on ebay, just be vigilent...

yellowbritches
Jun. 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
Am I the lone dissenter? I consider breastplates in eventing nearly as essential as a helmet, well fitting saddle or not. Lucinda Green actually told a horror story of someone getting quite hurt at an event in the UK because she did not have a breastplate, thinking the horse didn't "need" one (I believe there was a girth malfunction of some sort, breastplate could have stopped the saddle from sliding so far, rider got launched...it was pretty spectacular sounding). Anyway. I think when you are running and jumping across terrain, they should just be standard. I know lots of people feel differently, but that's fine. I also like the extra bit of something to grab onto, in those "oh s**t!" moments. It doesn't mean it has to have a martingale attached to it (Vernon does not wear a martingale, but he always jumps in a breastplate).

That being said, if you are pressed for times and/or pressed for funds, borrow until you can find one in your budget and to your liking.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 11, 2010, 05:23 PM
YB- ALL my others have gone in breastplates... which was the reason for my question.

I'm borrowing a breastplate from work for the weekend (Thank you Children's TherAplay!) I have one on Ebay that I'm stalking right now....:winkgrin:

bip
Jun. 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
I think you are smart to borrow for the moment. I bought one for a clinic, it was over $200, and it didn't fit. I used it anyway = couldn't take it back. It then lived in my trailer where it was chewed on by woodland creatures. I guess the woodland creatures like high quality leather :/ (it was really beautiful leather - worst part is, it would probably fit my new horse perfectly!)

Anyway, my point is that any time I've bought something in a pinch, it has been a disaster. Better to take the time to get the right one.

teddygirl
Jun. 11, 2010, 07:26 PM
You know you want one!

Actually it's a great idea to borrow one for the clinic so you don't have to buy in a rush, but it's not a bad idea to have one for xc for all the reasons already mentioned here, plus you know you want one

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
Turns out I DO need more tack. A breastplate, that my running martingale can attach to. Lucinda mandates it, and it shall be done.

On the up side, she did not change my bit. (small pat on the back for that.)

Friday1
Jun. 13, 2010, 09:38 PM
told my mare she could have a new bridle if she shipped well to and from the event :D

New Verspuci figure 8 ordered.

If your pony was super and Lucinda said you need it, now you've got two reasons to buy more tack.