PDA

View Full Version : Eventing in Tennessee or Kentucky

BUGGS2844
Jun. 10, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm considering relocating to either TN or KY and am wondering what areas, if any, are well known for Eventing.

Auburn
Jun. 10, 2010, 03:13 PM
Kentucky has quite a few events, except for this year (WEG has made the ones at the KHP cancel for this year).

Spring Bay, MayDaze, Spring Run, MidSouth Pony Club, Champagne Run, Kentucky Classic, Jump Start and MidSouth Team Challenge are held in KY.

I am certain that other folks will let you know about TN events.

BUGGS2844
Jun. 10, 2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks. Is there a "good" area to live, where I can commute to a city for work? I was just looking at some statistics for different cities in KY regarding work.

graytbmare
Jun. 10, 2010, 04:17 PM
Georgetown is nice because you are five min from KHP, 10 from Lex and they have really made it nice in prep for the WEG. Louisville is nice too, there are a couple nice events around there. If you choose KY, its not too much of a hike to Ohio, Indiana, ect and if you choose Tenessee going down south for the winter wont be as much of a drive if you plant to do that. I dont think you can go wrong with either though :) I would throw out some resumes at prospective jobs and see what you find.

lyndieventer
Jun. 10, 2010, 05:36 PM
We don't have a whole bunch of eventing stuff near Nashville. Sure, we have the Middle Tennessee Pony Club trials in October, but there really aren't that many eventing barns or schooling facility. I wish we had more!

gully's pilot
Jun. 10, 2010, 06:08 PM
Not much eventing in east Tennessee, either, though Shrapnel and I are doing our best. I "commute" to Lexington KY quite often. I will say that I'm pretty close to Tryon, NC.

subk
Jun. 10, 2010, 07:54 PM
We don't have a whole bunch of eventing stuff near Nashville. Sure, we have the Middle Tennessee Pony Club trials in October, but there really aren't that many eventing barns or schooling facility. I wish we had more!
Hmmm... I think Nashville is a great place to event. No, no big boarding barns, but I have my own place and a super trainer that comes to me once a week. We've got PW Park that has baby novice to prelim to school and a private place in Cornersville (1 hour south) that is super. Beach Grove Hunt has a place with XC jumps just south of Murfreesboro. Jim Graham is 2 hours south with fabulous XC schooling as well as world class instruction.

We not only have MTPC H.T.s but also Pony Club schooling events at PW Park, an hour south is a spring schooling event, Wolf Gap, done by the Huntsville PC and Beech Grove does some fun schooling XC events.

We have a very active dressage community with a dressage schooling shows at least once a month somewhere in the vicinity along with some big dressage shows at both Brownland Farm and MTSU in Murfreesboro. Speaking of Brownland, they host 5 or 6 A H/J shows as well as a gaggle of "No Frills" schooling shows which are fabulous schooling opportunities. There is a huge H/J community and always something going on in Franklin or Murfreesboro.

Franklin and the area south has produced top level/olympic caliber horses and riders in eventing, hunters, jumpers, dressage, endurance, steeplechasing, fox hunting and polo. Not to mention it is the home of FarmVet--which is just down the street from me and they deliver! It is a very equestrian diverse area.

For an eventer it is great that you can fill an entire year and not drive more than 5 or 6 hours. That includes everything at Ky Horse Park, Louisville area events, River Glen, Pine Top and Poplar Place. Aiken in the winter is only about 7 hours.

I'm in the thick of it and about 30 minutes out of downtown Nashville.

The problem with eventing in Nashville is that because we don't have any big eventing barns there doesn't seem to be good communication between eventers making it hard to fill clinics. Wofford was canceled earlier this year a week after I even heard about it as was scrambling to find a horse to ride in it. But maybe we can get together and fix that...

BUGGS2844
Jun. 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks. You're probably going to "scream" but I live in Aiken, SC. The problem is EMPLOYMENT. I commute to Augusta, GA for a part time position, but am having such a difficult time finding full time employment. And, I have a lot of skills . . . being an Administrative Assisitant. So . . . am looking for an area where I can find both, as one needs money to event!! : )

RunForIt
Jun. 10, 2010, 10:38 PM
BUGGS2844 - I am 2 1/2 hours from Aiken, work with Lellie Ward. If you relocate to TN: GO TO THE MIDDLE TN AREA AND WORK WITH AMY WISE!!!!! Here's why: she has an effective system of training across the levels through Intermediate that will help you and your horse work WITH your strengths to address your gaps ...AND - the group that works through Amy is a positive, fun-loving, INTELLIGENT group of people that I expect you would enjoy ...:cool: JMHO!!!

KateWooten
Jun. 10, 2010, 11:10 PM
I'm over in East TN too, and if I didn't have to stay married to DH, I'd move to Nashville in a heartbeat and train with Amy, and go to PWP every time it was open, and gallollop over open fields at SPF.

Nashville is great.

I'd bet Kentucky is too, but sadly, I suspect that KY land prices are Huge.

RunForIt
Jun. 10, 2010, 11:17 PM
I'm over in East TN too, and if I didn't have to stay married to DH, I'd move to Nashville in a heartbeat and train with Amy, and go to PWP every time it was open, and gallollop over open fields at SPF.

Nashville is great.

Keep the DH if he is a keeper - mine is a GEM!!!! Otherwise, I would be living in Aiken and teaching in Augusta! Go find persefne and hug her for me! :cool:

Bacchus
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:07 AM
Lexington, KY, is great. Lots of events within minutes (not hours). Lots of small towns surrounding Lexington that aren't nearly as expensive. (Stay out of Fayett County -- taxes are huge.) Georgetown, Paris, Nicholasville, Richmond, Winchester, Versailles, etc., are all decent places to live. You could also try Frankfort, which is midway between Lexington and Louisville.

I've seen some great land prices recently. A friend bought a wonderful place last year with 13 acres, a great (fabulous, actually) 3-bdrm, 2-bath house, and barn on a river for ~$270,000. Yes, the land/barn needs a little work, but she moved right in with three horses. She is 20 to 25 minutes from Lexington in a really nice location.

There are some jobs here. Not sure how it compares to the rest of the nation, but they are out there.

Bacchus
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
Here you go, from Thoroughbred Times classifieds:) I'm sure it's stuck between two highways, but what a price!

Own a piece of history.
Absolutely beautiful 30+/- acres of CLAIBORNE FARM. An elegant foyer
embraces this 1883+/- two story, columned, brick 5,023 sq.ft. residence with first floor master suite. Large barn w/9 stalls, tack & feed room, loft hay storage. Small barn w/3 stalls, tack & feed room. 3 paddocks with waterers, 1 large field with creek. Breathtaking views of Claiborne Farm. Minutes to Kentucky Horse Park, and Lexington. $750,000

(Yes, I know it's a ton of money, but boy is it a good price for this area.)

Holly Jeanne
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:17 AM

Depends on where in Kentucky. Right up near Lexington, Louisville and near Cinci can get pricey but other areas are pretty reasonable. If you don't mind a bit of a commute, try some of the surrounding counties. Outside of Lexington, try Garrard, Anderson, Mercer, Boyle, Lincoln, etc.

There are several colleges in the area and they post positions on their websites. For the lexington area, try www.bluegrassworks.net (http://www.bluegrassworks.net). Of course, I always suggest using methods other than just the internet when doing a job search. ;) Oh, and they are supposed to be moving a bunch of civilian jobs to Fort Knox. Go to www.cpol.army.mil (http://www.cpol.army.mil) for civilian jobs in the military and/or call Fort Knox Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC) at 502-624-4273.

lyndieventer
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
Well, I live on the NORTH side of Nashville and there really is nothing this side....SOOOO, if you are considering Nashville, pick the SOUTH side....much more down there! ;)

eponacowgirl
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:43 AM
Well, I live on the NORTH side of Nashville and there really is nothing this side....SOOOO, if you are considering Nashville, pick the SOUTH side....much more down there! ;)

Oh yes, the north side of Nashville IS a barren wasteland of equine activity. I suggest you move. :)

KateWooten
Jun. 11, 2010, 12:11 PM
Go find persefne and hug her for me!

Will do - tomorrow, actually :)

nyccountryboy
Jun. 11, 2010, 01:43 PM
There are great eventing barns both in Louisville and Lexington. Which would probably be your best opportunities for work. Spring Run Stables with Susan Harris, Martha Lambert at Lands End Farm, and Emily Ragan at Hidden Bridge Farm are all great. There are a few in Lexington as well including Cathy Weischoff and Dorothy Crowell (who I think is in Georgetown which is close to the Capital Frankfurt). And I think Eric Deirks just moved to Lexington as well. Both Lexington and Louisville are right in the most beautiful Horse Country of the Bluegrass! I know in Franklin Tenn. just outside Nashville is Bill Hoos at Willow Bend Farm. I bough my old advance horse from him years ago. He and his wife Laurie are great. Best of luck in the job search and barn hunt!

BUGGS2844
Jun. 11, 2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful information . . . I, actually, was thinking about the area in between Louisville and Lexington, as I could commute to either. Being from the Northeast, a commute is just "part of the daily routine." A 1/2 hour commute to me is nothing!!! I love Aiken, but sometimes the weather is difficult. HOT and HUMID in the summer (100 this weekend) and cold and damp in the winter. I'm looking for some relief to the 100 deg days that are just soooooooooooo unmotivating.

I have so much more homework to do, but all of you have been tremendously helpful. If I can't find employment (a real job) in either Louisville or Lexington, then I'm just a big looser!!!

eponacowgirl
Jun. 12, 2010, 01:12 AM
Both Lexington and Louisville experience "real" winter. Nashville misses it, for the most part. Just to add to your decision making process. :)

onthebit
Jun. 12, 2010, 03:42 PM

DH and I finally ended our 5 year search for a new farm this year. We bought in hunt country down in Lynnville. We ALMOST moved to Lexington, KY because land and farms are dirt cheap there compared to this area of middle Tennessee. It was unreal what you could buy minutes out of dowtown Lexington for the price. It doesn't make sense to me either but farms and land were so affordable in KY as compared to middle TN.

The only thing that kept us from buying a farm in Lexington was the significant difference in winter weather. Lexington gets real winter and I decided I just couldn't handle it. It sure would have saved us a LOT of money though, like several hundred thousand dollars . . . but I hate winter that much!

BUGGS2844
Jun. 12, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'd rather have "real" winters than HOT and HUMID summers, when the only time to ride is 6:00 a.m................... THanks!!

persefne
Jun. 13, 2010, 12:20 AM
Will do - tomorrow, actually :)

For the record, she did not!!! But, the summer has only just begun. There are many more lake days in my future. :yes:

BUGGS2844, I live in Knoxville and I compete in Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina/
South Carolina, and Georgia. I'm also in decent proximity to Virginia and even Ohio/Indiana (just haven't really gone that way yet). Many of my "eventer friends" live in Nashville and I used to lament that I was "all by myself here in Knoxville" and had to drive everytime I wanted to ride with my friends. :cry: But, I finally got my act together and over the past year, I met a bunch of the local Knoxville eventers and they are a great group. There are some wonderful trainers here in town and some really nice fellow riders. That gives me support here in my hometown, but it also means I get the best of both worlds, as I can travel to ride with my Nashville friends and their trainer on a regular basis. Plus, I'm pretty much equidistant to some really top-notch venues (2.5 hours to Tryon and not quite 3 hours to KHP; 3.5 hours to Nashville, Chattahoochee, and just a bit further to Big Bear and Poplar; 4.5 hours to The Fork and 5 to Southern Pines or the other direction to Aiken). I'm also about 5 hours or so from the Virginia Horse Trials up in Lexington, VA.

Ultimately, as someone who is also on the job market right now, if you have the freedom to move around and pick your place, I'd say find a job that really speaks to you (one you will enjoy, that pays fairly well, and will still give you the flexibility to fit in your riding) and wherever that job happens to be, you will find ways to train, compete, and become a part of your local event scene.

KateWooten
Jun. 13, 2010, 07:36 AM
I would have, though, if either my phone stored incoming phone numbers, or our boat hadn't died :mad:

eponacowgirl
Jun. 13, 2010, 08:10 AM
I'd rather have "real" winters than HOT and HUMID summers, when the only time to ride is 6:00 a.m................... THanks!!

It's 6:10- I'm getting ready to swing my leg over the first horse of the day...

Move to Lexington or Louisville. :)

onthebit
Jun. 13, 2010, 08:58 AM
It's 6:10- I'm getting ready to swing my leg over the first horse of the day...

Move to Lexington or Louisville. :)

One of my best friends lives in Lexington - believe me you aren't going to escape hot/humid summers there. I've been in Lexington enough in the summer visiting her and showing at KHP to know. You still get steaming summer weather, you just get more winter too! Don't know if Louisville summers are better.

persefne
Jun. 13, 2010, 10:41 AM
...or our boat hadn't died :mad:

Ha! Mine did too. :( Had the battery charged and replaced, but then the starter wouldn't work. I'm going to have to have someone from the maintenance place go out to the marina and work on it this week. It better get going, though, since the lake is calling! We'll have to try to meet up out there again later this summer.

persefne
Jun. 13, 2010, 10:43 AM
One of my best friends lives in Lexington - believe me you aren't going to escape hot/humid summers there. I've been in Lexington enough in the summer visiting her and showing at KHP to know. You still get steaming summer weather, you just get more winter too! Don't know if Louisville summers are better.

Very true. Most of the horse trials I've done in the summer have been at KHP and believe me, it can get vicious hot there...with hard turf, too. It's not always like that, but I see very little difference between Lexington and Knoxville summers. When it comes to winter, though, there is a huge difference. Geographically, that little thing called the "Cumberland Pass and Plateau" has a HUGE impact on weather north or south of it. 10 minutes north of it (in KY) you're getting ice and snow; 10 minutes south of it (in TN) it's just cold rain. That's a big difference, to me!

Shrapnel
Jun. 13, 2010, 05:35 PM
Your 2 options (that I recommend)...

1. Move to Lexington Kentucky and ride with Cathy Wieschhoff. She is just awesome.

2. Move to Nashville TN and ride with Bill and Lori Hoos.

If you get the opportunity to move to south western North Carolina (Tryon area) I highly recommend Beth Perkins. I commute over to her place for lessons now and she is one of the best coaches I have ever had.