PDA

View Full Version : Premier Equine Event Boots - Reviews and Shipping?

pattnic
Jun. 10, 2010, 08:53 AM
It seems that the Premier Equine event boots are probably the way to go - all the comments I've seen on here have been favorable, and they have the features that help give me piece of mind. I'm looking at the vented boots.

BUT... I would like to hear more reviews of them, before I take the plunge and ship them over from the UK. :yes:
Besides, there's "Dalmar threads" and "NEW threads" and "Ecogold threads" and "Tri-Zone threads" - there should be a "PE thread"! :lol:

Also, for those of you that ordered from the UK, how much (approximately) did shipping work out to be? I am calculating about $75 - is that right? :eek:

jn4jenny
Jun. 10, 2010, 08:57 AM
I had so much to say about my PE's in a recent thread that I got accused of working for the company. Which would probably be more lucrative than my real life as a grad student, but... :)
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259505

My shipping was in the neighborhood of $50, but I also ordered at the bottom of the exchange rate crisis w/ Greece. $80 seems awfully high. I put the stuff in my PE cart and got a more exact shipping quote for what I was actually buying, then ran it through www.xe.com to see the price in US dollars.

I suspect there's no "PE" thread because very few of us dared to order them from Europe, and they're not available from US vendors. I think it's pretty much me and scubed, but I hope others will crawl out of the woodwork!

pattnic
Jun. 10, 2010, 09:11 AM
Oops! Forgot that this is what I calculated for 2 full sets - one for me and one for a friend! So if you paid ~$50, then $75 is pretty well in line, it seems.

scubed
Jun. 10, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hilda Donahue bought some when she was over in Europe last and they are what her Extravagance was wearing at Rolex and Jersey. Might be worth seeing if we can get anyone to buy there and bring/ship over less expensively. I love the quality of mine, though for the fronts may still like the Dalmars a little better. The hinds are definitely nicer in the Premier Equine. Not sure that shipping goes up by each pair you add, but maybe. Sometimes they have deals on shipping. I just ordered 4 pairs for the Maui Jim Derby to use as prizes and with them being on sale paid $248 with shipping, so that was a deal.

pattnic
Jun. 10, 2010, 12:54 PM
Would either of you be able to post measurements on the boots (most specifically height), or measurements of horses that specific sizes fit well?

I'm torn between small and medium.

Thanks!

jn4jenny
Jun. 10, 2010, 12:59 PM
Would either of you be able to post measurements on the boots (most specifically height), or measurements of horses that specific sizes fit well?

I'm torn between small and medium.

Thanks!

As I said on the other thread, I found PE's size guidelines to be spot on. The guidelines said Medium was for horses 15hh to 16.2hh. My guy is 15.3hh and the boots fit him perfectly. I bought him different sets for front and back (KK3's and brushing boots) and they both fit well.

ETA now that you mention it, the KK3's that I bought for the back fit perfectly, but like EXACTLY perfectly. I wonder how they would fit on a horse who was actually 16.2hh. The height would be fine but the way that they designed that boot, the velcro secures over the air vents. So if the boot doesn't fit just right, the circle-shaped holes in the velcro wouldn't be perfectly over the air vent areas and that would kind of defeat the point. In fact when I first got the boots the holes in the velcro didn't quite match up, but the boot broke in just like a sneaker (in fact it's made of the same EVA foam that you'd find on a sneaker) and now the holes line up.

That was not an issue on the brushing boots, where the vents are nowhere near the velcro.

I swear I used a height/width graphic from the Internet to double-check the sizes before I bought. But I can't find that graphic now. Sorry. :(

Bobthehorse
Jun. 10, 2010, 01:00 PM
I hope more people post on this thread. Im pretty much set on the hinds but waffling over the fronts.

Luckily I have contacts in the UK so I might be able to escape the horrible shipping.

Blugal
Jun. 10, 2010, 01:15 PM
Which hind boots is everyone ordering? The ones for 34.99 GBP (old design) or for 54.99 GBP (new design)? I can't even see much difference between them - are the more expensive ones actually *improved*?

Also can anyone tell me about the lines of stitching around the ankles? Do they rub sensitive TB legs? I am *once again* looking for hind boots that don't rub (Woofs do, Davis do, my fabulous 20-year old felt ones don't, but they are useless for XC).

Oh, and can they only be ordered directly from Premier Equine? Or are there retailers?

frugalannie
Jun. 10, 2010, 03:43 PM
I got them! Based on what I was reading, I went to the "Sale" page on the Premier Equine website. I got the cheapest they had on sale for the fronts and the next best up for the hinds just because I couldn't find the sizes I wanted in black otherwise. I think I got mediums for the front and large for the back (I'll check later when I go to the barn and update). I have a 16.1+ TB mare with good bone, and they fit well. I love the way they velcro closed, and they performed well on the one XC outing I used them.

It seemed they arrived nearly overnight although it was actually 3 days. AIR, shipping was about $50, but the boots were on sale, so I think I got the whole shebang for under $100, which is cheaper than new Woof boots!

Bobthehorse
Jun. 10, 2010, 03:49 PM
I manhandled the vented new style boots, the binding is like a super soft faux suede fabric. The lining is like a rubbery foam. And they really weight like nothing.

I do think the new hinds are a better design, they cover the fetlock better and go up on the inside of the hock, they are very full coverage. And I think because of this, they dont seem to spin like a lot of other hind boots out there.

I just think I want a little more "cush" for the front (I felt the new design vented xc originals), the fabric is very thin and feel like I want a bit more buffer between leg and the outside world. I would have liked a cannon guard on the fronts as well.

xcjumper
Jun. 11, 2010, 12:02 AM
Ok I don't post often but I just had to on this one. I bought these boots, front and hind about 1 month ago. The sizing was perfect to the sizing charts. They were stiff at first but broke in beautifully! I love them! Shipping was about $35 to AZ and they came in 2 days...no joke! I never get anything that fast from the US! All in all I paid the same as one pair of hind boots in the US. I would highly recommend this company. I got tons of compliments on them the last time we schooled and others are now ordering them! I got white but my horse is black...very bright and had to get in the water and dirt pretty quick to make them not look so bright. They clean up very easily and hold absolutely no water.

pattnic
Jun. 11, 2010, 08:08 AM
Okay, so here's my dilemma...
I have two horses that are literally an inch apart in height - one is 14.3, the other is 15.0. The 14.3 gelding is going to be the "real" event horse, but the 15.0 mare will definitely be going XC schooling at least, so I would like boots for both of them.
They wear the same size - S/M - in Equi-Fit T Boots (in fact, they share a set)... do you think they could wear the same PE boots?

(I guess this is perhaps a moot point, as I will purchase based on what will fit the 14.3 gelding better, and I can try them on the mare once they arrive, but I'm curious).