PDA

View Full Version : Amerigo Vega Fit?

Hey Mickey
Jun. 9, 2010, 11:34 PM
Well,
first of all, whats the difference between a Vega and a normal Amerigo?
Is a medium tree more on the narrow or wide side?

Generally, what type of backs do these fit? (any pics?)

jn4jenny
Jun. 10, 2010, 07:40 AM
Well,
first of all, whats the difference between a Vega and a normal Amerigo?
Is a medium tree more on the narrow or wide side?

Generally, what type of backs do these fit? (any pics?)

Did you search the forums? ;) These are very common questions and I swear I've answered all of them in the past year. But just for you, I will write it out again. Maybe Amerigo will finally give me a sales kickback or something. :lol:

The Vega is a more "generic" fit than the Amerigo line. Think "average Thoroughbred": moderately curvy topline, moderately high withers. Anything more extreme than that and you'll want to step up to the Amerigo line, where there's greater diversity of fit. Both lines are built using Peter Menet's balance-forward philosophy and "independent panel" theories, so the ride experience is similar. Vega has a synthetic tree, Amerigo has a wooden tree.

Amerigo provides descriptions of what each saddle model is designed to fit. In my (extensive) experience with this brand, these descriptions are accurate. Most people end up with the Amerigo CC or DJ.
http://www.amerigosaddles.ch/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=3

My horse has gone happily in an Amerigo Close Contact for almost 2.5 years now. This is an old picture, but you'll get the idea:
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/jn4jenny/skylerback.jpg

Amerigo discontinued some color/leather options this year, so there's a fair number of Amerigos out there for $2000-$2500 right now. Which is about the same price as a used Vega.

If you have champagne tastes and a beer budget, consider Dominus instead. That's the line that Peter Menet designed before he designed Amerigo, and it's a kissing cousin to Amerigo/Vega. It is now discontinued but it originally retailed around the $2500 mark; think quality/workmanship comparable to Pessoa or Bates. Easy to find in the sub-$1000 price range if you know where to look (and being the huge tack nerd that I am, I do!). I love my Amerigo CC, but when I went dressage shopping I chose the Dominus Dressage instead. Rides pretty much like an Amerigo Standard Dressage saddle and it was only $850 shipped.

RunForIt
Jun. 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
jn4jenny was the VERY person I didn't have time to recommend asking....:D :cool:

I've got to contact her myself to find out how her friend who started in an Amerigo and was planning on going to a Deveroux is doing - rather, WHAT she's doing re: saddle thinking....my little "good egg" Rasta is happily jumping and doing flatwork in Lellie Ward's Chiberta and whatever Deveroux her dressage saddle is...go figure. Do know I will no doubt be selling/trading his fancy Amerigo for a XC saddle by Amerigo or Stackhouse. He's changed shape drastically!

jn4jenny
Jun. 10, 2010, 07:21 PM
Do know I will no doubt be selling/trading his fancy Amerigo for a XC saddle by Amerigo or Stackhouse. He's changed shape drastically!

She decided the Devoucoux was not going to work. Sounds like it's a different situation than yours, though. Long story short, the problem is that the horse moved TOO well in the Amerigo and she can't sit the movement in it. :lol: And because of the constraints of the rider-and-horse pair (namely very short-backed horse and a rider who would really be best off in an 18" seat that the horse can't accommodate), the hope was that a Chiberta would fix the problem by offering more leg room in the front. No such luck--she loved how the Chiberta rode but no amount of customization is going to make a Devoucoux fit this horse. It has to do with the way Devoucoux structures their panel in the stirrup bar area. Too restrictive around the wither. Fortunately the saddle gods smiled on her and she found this ancient, unmarked, unbranded Walsall-made monoflap that works for both her and the horse. So now she's got a saddle for all three phases (still using the Amerigo for SJ). Sadly we can't figure out who made this Walsall-thingamabob or else she'd order a new one!

I'm sure Stackhouse can accommodate you if Rasta has stopped being "Amerigo shaped", and it sounds like he has! :yes: He looks wonderful in his latest pics!

Hey Mickey
Jun. 10, 2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info! I always have a lot of trouble with the search button. it never finds what I'm looking for!

I actually found a barely used Vega online for $700 (defiantly in price range, but I still need to get my jump saddle sold). it looks like the monoflap version only it has 2 flaps.
But I didn't want to get a trial on it, if it didn't seem like it would maybe fit...

jn4jenny, my horse has a similar back shape, but his withers are bigger and longer, but he also has a longer back...

also, can anyone tell me about the knee and lower leg(don't know the correct term for it) blocks?
I currently have a stubban roxane. My leg gets "stuck" feeling because of the blocks and deeper seat,

jn4jenny
Jun. 11, 2010, 08:06 AM
jn4jenny, my horse has a similar back shape, but his withers are bigger and longer, but he also has a longer back...

That's a tough call then. You won't like this answer, but with that kind of description, you won't know until you try it. :( Some horses of that description "get away" with a Vega, others have to step up to the Amerigo CC or Amerigo Vesuvio. Can you find someone local with a Vega and try theirs?

also, can anyone tell me about the knee and lower leg(don't know the correct term for it) blocks?

If it's the saddle that I'm thinking of in Kansas, you can see them in the sale pictures. ;)

Hey Mickey
Jun. 11, 2010, 11:45 PM
Yup, it is in Kansas. The " lower leg roll" seems as though it is about the same size as the one I have on my saddle, which in theory, I want a very very small or no block. So that was a dumb question...

I don't know anyone with a Vega, or really anyone in my travels of life that has a horse with a similar back, well my one friend does, but she has a custom something.
I hate hate hate saddle shopping. I hate trying to sell saddles.

jn4jenny
Jun. 12, 2010, 08:33 AM
Yup, it is in Kansas. The " lower leg roll" seems as though it is about the same size as the one I have on my saddle, which in theory, I want a very very small or no block. So that was a dumb question...

I assume you're talking about the calf block. If so, it's just sewn onto the Amerigo/Vega saddles, so you could easily remove it if needed. For that matter, you could probably take it off your Roxane as well.

If you are very serious about this, you could throw out a thread on COTH and see if anyone in driving distance has a Vega you could look at.

Or for that matter, do this the "right way" and send pictures and tracings to an outfit like Trumbull Mountain that has saddle fitters on staff. That won't cost you anything but postage and time. They sell Vega tack and will probably be able to tell you from tracings/pictures if you have a fighting chance, plus they can give you info about other brands that may fit your horse.

ETA that I happened upon your saddle for sale on another site. If your horse is wearing the Roxane S in that particular Stubben tree size, I'm even more worried for you about trying to cram that horse into a Vega with a medium tree (even a generous medium tree, as the Amerigo/Vega line is). It is possible that it would work but it might be a close call. Seems like you could have problems with the width AND the curvature. The Roxane S is a very curvy saddle--I actually knew someone who went from the Roxane S to the Amerigo Vesuvio, and she recently tried a Vega Monoflap and it bridged badly on her horse. JMHO, I could be totally wrong and I'd be happy for you if I was.

akhunterrider
Jun. 26, 2010, 12:32 PM
I live in Kansas, near where the $700.00 Vega is located. I spoke to the seller once and haven't heard back form him since, after several attempts. I have been trying for approximately two weeks. I hope you're able to get a hold of him and I hope the saddle is still available for you. It's a heck of a deal! I am purchasing a Vega jump saddle from a friend of mine who is moving over seas. I can't wait to start riding in it!

*Battle Worthy*
Jun. 28, 2010, 11:56 AM
I live in Kansas, near where the $700.00 Vega is located. I spoke to the seller once and haven't heard back form him since, after several attempts. I have been trying for approximately two weeks. I hope you're able to get a hold of him and I hope the saddle is still available for you. It's a heck of a deal! I am purchasing a Vega jump saddle from a friend of mine who is moving over seas. I can't wait to start riding in it!

I had the exact same thing happen to me - twice. I sent an email, heard back right away, sent another email with more questions and never heard back. Out of curiousity I sent an email from my work account and the same exact thing happened. I've given up on it now, but what a great deal it would be - I hope someone lucks out. Very strange, though.

akhunterrider
Jul. 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
I heard back right away, then couldn't get another response. I still haven't heard back after 3 weeks. It's a really good deal, but something seems a little fishy to me. I hope it does work out for somebody though.