PDA

View Full Version : Shipping horse from Arizona to VA

southern
Jun. 2, 2010, 06:07 AM
I have a friend who is moving from Arizona to either VA or NC and they have never shipped long distance before and need a recommendation on a good shipper.

Also, would love to hear folks thoughts on what types of questions they should ask when talking to prospective shippers. Thanks!

Stellaspeed
Jun. 2, 2010, 06:59 AM
http://richmond.craigslist.org/fgs/1767554133.html

I saw this while surfing.... I am an admitted craigslist HO !!

lotc2005
Jun. 2, 2010, 07:32 AM
Contact JD Hughes in Central Ohio. He has an excellent shipping business and is very trustworthy and honest. His website is www.cowboyexpress.org. Be sure to check out the testimonials section of the website.

Good Luck!

Tackpud
Jun. 2, 2010, 08:16 AM
Try Rick Horton - (505) 220-9347. He's brought me about 15 horses from NM and every single one has arrived in good condition and when he said they would. Really nice guy - definitely a cowboy type! Great with the horses.

findeight
Jun. 2, 2010, 08:30 AM
Sallee and Brookledge should have regular rigs running from So Cal to the east coast, usually a layover in Lexington Ky- Hubbard too.

I dunno, Craigslist would not be the way I'd pick a shipper:confused:.

Had a friend who went the low bid route on a 3 month lease (relatively expensive horse) out on the west coast. The trip out was fine in a big rig, horse was there in 36 hours with one stopover in Billings.

But the trip back...horse was delivered back home in a beat up 2 horse 8 days after they picked it up. Lost alot of weight. When she called the home office, she was told the horse did not like the dairy cows at a 3 day stopover in Nebraska and didn't eat well.

Another boarder at a barn I was in used this same smaller but not unknown outfit and they showed up with a 3 horse slant complete with buffalo calf (living) they were dropping off in Iowa before dropping off the horse...and that was not exactly on the way from here to Houston. Moot point, horse would not go near the trailer with that calf in there and owner passed on tranqing it and hoping it would not panic when it wore off and it found itself next to that calf.

Tell them to use some common sense and not just low ball it.

see u at x
Jun. 2, 2010, 09:45 AM
Country Jones: 530-410-5955

He's also a cowboy based out of New Mexico, but travels all over the place. You're welcome to tell him that "Big Bird's" new owner recommended him via online. :) He will also provide you almost a full page of references to call in order to verify his credentials. Country is a great guy, honest, and he took wonderful care of my horse for me.