PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of Shipping My Horse!!!

horselover1117
Jun. 2, 2010, 01:30 AM
So Im shipping my horse this weekend on his first long distance trip and I am absolutely terrified! He'll be traveling about 1100 miles which I know isn't that far in comparison to how many horses are shipped around the world everyday ;-) Does anybody have any good advice or MUST DOs when shipping a horse this far?

gallupgirl
Jun. 2, 2010, 07:37 AM
Thoroughly vet the shipper.

tidy rabbit
Jun. 2, 2010, 07:51 AM
Relax. As my grandmother says.... "it's never the things that you worry about that go wrong."

Sugarbrook
Jun. 2, 2010, 08:16 AM
TidyRabbit: I love what your Grandmother said!!

findeight
Jun. 2, 2010, 08:18 AM
There are a whole lot of "must dos" that really are just personal preference or individual experience. The only thing you must do is get the horse on the trailer and take it off on the other end. Remember, horses like routine, start a whole bunch of new rituals prior to hauling and you will get him upset. Most reduce or withold grain the day before and the day after and add some electrolytes to hydrate them well. Thats's about it.

Of course, you also must be sure the rig is in top shape and has a driver that knows what they are doing-that is just a function of choosing who hauls it based on experience and record, not the lowest price.

Sit back and try to relax. Let the hauler do their job, the good outfits love them as much as we do.

HiddenAcres
Jun. 2, 2010, 08:25 AM
1. Be there when they pick up your horse.
2. Tip the driver and handlers - $5 - $20. It shows you value them.
3. Ask if they want legs wrapped or unwrapped and follow instructions.
4. Monitor your anxiety level and evaluate whether a truck/trailer are
in your future. You can do this with horsey friends or alone.
5. Your horse will be absolutely fine and get there a-ok. However, "shipper time" usually runs much slower than quoted.

JillCozza
Jun. 2, 2010, 08:26 AM
We used to ship our horses across the country all the time. We have never had a major problem. It is highly unlikely that you will have any problmes either. Relax, he will be just fine.

Zu Zu
Jun. 2, 2010, 08:32 AM
Jingles for your horse and you ~ may the trip be uneventful and quick. AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Relax and try to enjoy the adventure. Awaiting your happy update at the other end ~

STA
Jun. 2, 2010, 11:54 AM
Arrived without incident, RIGHT? 1100 miles is a big move, good luck to you and your horse.

Zipsmom
Jun. 2, 2010, 12:31 PM
If you can-- pay the extra and get a box stall if you don't have one already. My horse was more comfortable in one.

meupatdoes
Jun. 2, 2010, 01:41 PM
My protocol for hauling is to put the horse on Gastrogard, one dose two days before hauling, one dose each day of hauling, and one dose two days after hauling.

I also buy a small bucket of Neighlox and put that in the food until it runs out. (Last time I hauled a big trip I had two horses and they shared a small bucket which lasted about two weeks.)

I also bring along "home" water.

Zu Zu
Jun. 4, 2010, 10:22 PM
Bumping for an update ~ hoping everything is running smoothly on your horse's trip.

gottagrey
Jun. 4, 2010, 11:14 PM
Agree about checking w/ shipper about wrapping. The commercial shipper that our barn uses prefers unwrapped horses

After attending a trailering safety clinic - one thing I do is put a fly mask on my horse to prevent hay or road debris from getting into horse's eye. with some of the big commercial rigs this won't be a issue as they close up the trailers pretty well. My trainer often ships with the top half of the doors open.

My horse went from Ireland to Holland to NY to MD in about 2-3 days time.. he was none worse for the wear. Had a little scrap on his cheek and managed to create a small bald spot on his tail but that was it. he was not blanketed or wrapped the entire time.

good luck

lauriep
Jun. 5, 2010, 06:25 AM
Definitely do not wrap for that distance and this heat. He will be miserable, and there is too much chance for the bandages to slip. Treat with Ulcergard/Gastrogard for the day before, days of shipping and day after. He should be just fine, even if in a straight stall. 1100 miles isn't a huge deal.