PDA

View Full Version : Red tack?

SarahandSam
Jun. 1, 2010, 07:50 PM
I have a Stubben Rex saddle that has that red Stubben tone to it. The flaps are darker with a red undertone, and the seat is lighter and more reddish. I bought a Camelot bridle, cheap but nice leather, that was reddish to begin with; I figured it would darken with oiling, but the top (visible) part doesn't darken no matter how much oil I use--only the underside where it's rougher has darkened.

I have to say, I actually like the red tone. I have a bright sorrel horse and it looks nice on him, in my opinion. But I do get a lot of comments from people saying, "Oh, I like your new bridle!" I know it's not the dark dark brown of most conventional hunter tack, but it's not like it's orange either... is it so horribly outre?

I plan on just doing schooling and local shows with him mainly, but would like to aim for one or two rated shows by fall... just curious to hear what others' thoughts were!

indygirl2560
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:24 PM
My friend loaned me her Pessoa while she's selling my saddle for me and I absolutely despise the color, which is reddish like you talk about. It leaves some of my saddle pads reddish in certain spots(although it comes out in the wash), and I can't stand the reddish tinge of it. I personally like a nice deep brown color, like the saddle I'm selling is, so maybe it's just what I'm used to but I can say that I refuse to show in that saddle! I've already convinced my other friend to loan me her Devoucoux, which is the deep brown I love, for my upcoming show, (she's not riding in it). Anyways, if your saddle isn't god awful, obnoxious red then it really shouldn't matter in the show ring. That said, I still refuse to show in the one I have.

Fancy That
Jun. 2, 2010, 03:11 PM
I love my Stubben "red" bridle on my chocolate-colored liver chestnut.

We don't use it for Hunters, but I use it for eventing and it goes really well with my Bates Caprilli close contact saddle.

Here's a pic where you can see how it looks:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/Fancy%20Family/Scan10015.jpg

At the level you are showing , the "shade of brown" that your tack is....DOESN'T MATTER. It's not like the judge is going to penalize you for having a more reddish-brown versus brownish-brown color with your tack :)

SarahandSam
Jun. 2, 2010, 08:42 PM
Fancy That--that's the exact shade of my bridle. (: I think it looks quite dapper on your horse as well!

Yeah, I'm not too worried about being penalized or anything... I'm just one of those people who, while I don't mind sticking out, think you should probably be good if you're going to stick out, and I'm not good. It's like rust breeches--I love them and would sport 'em in a heartbeat, but unless I'm in a w/t class against six-year-olds, I just don't got the mad skillz to back 'em up. (: So I'm just hoping that it's not too outrageous to make me stand out for the wrong reasons...

Fancy That
Jun. 2, 2010, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't have Havana (dark brown) tack when I do the hunters, either. It's decidedly a "chestnut brown" versus "havana brown"

I don't think I stand out in a bad way. Here we are in our Hunter "get up" (versus Eventing) with chestnut-brown tack:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/Fancy%20Family/F_canter_huntseat.jpg

Have fun w/ your "Stubben Red" :)

Fancy That--that's the exact shade of my bridle. (: I think it looks quite dapper on your horse as well!

Yeah, I'm not too worried about being penalized or anything... I'm just one of those people who, while I don't mind sticking out, think you should probably be good if you're going to stick out, and I'm not good. It's like rust breeches--I love them and would sport 'em in a heartbeat, but unless I'm in a w/t class against six-year-olds, I just don't got the mad skillz to back 'em up. (: So I'm just hoping that it's not too outrageous to make me stand out for the wrong reasons...

Sebastian
Jun. 3, 2010, 12:43 AM
I had a "red" Stubben bridle that I used on my flamin' red gelding, Lucky! He looked awesome in it. No one ever complained...

Seb :)

Dappled Grey
Jun. 3, 2010, 01:28 AM
My friend loaned me her Pessoa while she's selling my saddle for me and I absolutely despise the color, which is reddish like you talk about. It leaves some of my saddle pads reddish in certain spots(although it comes out in the wash), and I can't stand the reddish tinge of it. I personally like a nice deep brown color, like the saddle I'm selling is, so maybe it's just what I'm used to but I can say that I refuse to show in that saddle! I've already convinced my other friend to loan me her Devoucoux, which is the deep brown I love, for my upcoming show, (she's not riding in it). Anyways, if your saddle isn't god awful, obnoxious red then it really shouldn't matter in the show ring. That said, I still refuse to show in the one I have.

Oh my, your post just brought back the AGES old memory of my first saddle, a Crosby Prix des Nations, and the reddish color it would leave on my saddle pad!

Regarding the initial question of suitability for the hunter ring at the schooling, local level... I'm thinking of what George would say. Probably to first and foremost make sure your horse shows the weight and shine of good health and that your tack is polished, well fitted, and not too distracting.

I think it sounds like you are on the right track!

SarahandSam
Jun. 3, 2010, 06:29 AM
Oh my, your post just brought back the AGES old memory of my first saddle, a Crosby Prix des Nations, and the reddish color it would leave on my saddle pad!

Regarding the initial question of suitability for the hunter ring at the schooling, local level... I'm thinking of what George would say. Probably to first and foremost make sure your horse shows the weight and shine of good health and that your tack is polished, well fitted, and not too distracting.

I think it sounds like you are on the right track!

Thanks everybody!

Does anybody manufacture WWGMD bracelets yet? Because I need one...

Dappled Grey
Jun. 3, 2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks everybody!

Does anybody manufacture WWGMD bracelets yet? Because I need one...

That is a GREAT idea!