PDA

View Full Version : DEVON-Monday 5.31

CharismaRJG
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:20 AM
Anyone know whose horse was dismissed from the jog yesterday 5.31 in the (2nd yr green--I think it was that class?)

MHM
Jun. 1, 2010, 05:36 PM
I hope anybody who feels the need to post a name here is absolutely 100% sure they have correct information.

Incorrect information on this subject could make a horse owner very, very angry, and rightfully so.

Madeline
Jun. 1, 2010, 05:40 PM
I hope anybody who feels the need to post a name here is absolutely 100% sure they have correct information.

Incorrect information on this subject could make a horse owner very, very angry, and rightfully so.\\

On the other hand, a person showing a horse at Devon who isn't sound at the jog probably should be outed...

SkipChange
Jun. 1, 2010, 05:44 PM
Re: Madeline, just a thought...If anyone read the thread about lame horses and jogs recently, some people spoke of instances where the horse was sound during the class but came up lame afterwards (pulled muscle after the class, an abscess that presented for the first time in the middle of the jog). So we also can't assume immediately the horse was lame during the class.

MHM
Jun. 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
\\

On the other hand, a person showing a horse at Devon who isn't sound at the jog probably should be outed...

Really? Have you never had a horse step on a rock? Or grab its heel? Or do anything else that might make it take a few funny steps at an inopportune time?

How very fortunate for you.

And the point of my previous post was that nobody should post a name unless they were absolutely certain of their facts.

Not: "I think it was So-and-so's chestnut." Nor: "I heard it was So-and-so's brown horse."

STA
Jun. 1, 2010, 05:47 PM
\\

Should be outed???? - I saw a horse step on his own shoe at a horse show, he did not jog sound afterward. Should the person showing that horse be "outed"? There are several reasons a horse might not jog sound don't jump to conclusions.

jewll27
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:34 PM
It was in the regular conf, a chestnut.. It was called back 2nd behind declaration but I don't remember any names

pretty sure he was a solid bay and he also didnt do the model in the AM

Madeline
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:34 PM
Should be outed???? - I saw a horse step on his own shoe at a horse show, he did not jog sound afterward. Should the person showing that horse be "outed"? There are several reasons a horse might not jog sound don't jump to conclusions.

If I had a horse that pulled a shoe or stepped on a rock or grabbed himself or pulled a muscle between his round and the jog, and was lame, I wouldn't take him in to jog. Duh.

MHM
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:38 PM
If I had a horse that pulled a shoe or stepped on a rock or grabbed himself or pulled a muscle between his round and the jog, and was lame, I wouldn't take him in to jog. Duh.

Oh, so you do a "practice" jog before every time you jog a horse into the ring? And so you've never had one surprise you by jogging off lame when you didn't expect it?

Again, how very fortunate for you.

MHM
Jun. 1, 2010, 07:31 PM
pretty sure he was a solid bay and he also didnt do the model in the AM

No, no. It was a gray horse. Of Professor Plum's. In the Gold Ring. With a candlestick. :rolleyes:

ynl063w
Jun. 1, 2010, 08:34 PM
This happened at Devon last year to a horse in one of the 4 foot divisions. The same horse did very well in the derby the night before, then was excused from the jog in the first regular class the next day. It scratched from the rest of the division. I don't know why everyone is acting all gossipy about it. It happens sometimes; there's no reason to assume the horse is being mismanaged for crying out loud.

jewll27
Jun. 1, 2010, 08:35 PM
No, no. It was a gray horse. Of Professor Plum's. In the Gold Ring. With a candlestick. :rolleyes:

wow. so necessary for this post! I was there, I watched it take place, I was clarifying. I dont have a book or else I could have told you the name. But thanks.

IvyHall
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:19 PM
I saw the horse get dismissed. He definitely didn't jog sound but like others have said he could have just caught himself or stepped on a stone....

AND, for the record I did see some other professionals on Monday practice jogging their horses.

Madeline
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thank you, MHM.

Zipperoo
Jun. 3, 2010, 09:13 AM
I was there. It was Kost to Coast in the Conf division. I don't have any information as to why but it ws during the jog in the first o/f class of the division. I also saw other people jogging their horses in the schooling area.

On a happier note, my wonderful horse Avalon won a Working Hunter Class with a score of 91. Woo hoo!!!!

Equino
Jun. 3, 2010, 09:22 AM
And he did jog in the schooling area, clearly lame there as well...

But on a positive note-Avalon was beautiful! CONGRATS!!!

I think COTH had it right when they said we saw some of the best hunters performing at Devon ever, one after another were really lovely. So many I wanted to steal! LOVED Taken!

MHM
Jun. 3, 2010, 10:50 AM
I was there. It was Kost to Coast in the Conf division. I don't have any information as to why but it ws during the jog in the first o/f class of the division. I also saw other people jogging their horses in the schooling area.

On a happier note, my wonderful horse Avalon won a Working Hunter Class with a score of 91. Woo hoo!!!!

Congratulations on your horse's win.

How would you feel if instead of winning, he had been booted from a jog, and somebody else posted his name on the internet for all the world to see?

mvp
Jun. 3, 2010, 12:25 PM
Congratulations on your horse's win.

How would you feel if instead of winning, he had been booted from a jog, and somebody else posted his name on the internet for all the world to see?

The Devon Horse Show /The Internet. What's the difference? Does anyone showing at Devon do that with an eye to keeping their horse's performance a secret?

And I don't think anyone asked for privileged information. They asked who was dismissed from the jog. That's all. Not whether or not the horse actually was lame, or what the cause was.

MHM
Jun. 3, 2010, 12:47 PM
The Devon Horse Show /The Internet. What's the difference?

Let's see- maybe 50 or so people who were actually there at that show during that class, versus millions on the internet.

There is such a thing as tact. And discretion.

Again, how would you like it if it were your horse?

NorthFaceFarm
Jun. 3, 2010, 12:51 PM
What is with all the gossipy threads about Devon this year? I much preferred horse showing when everyone minded their own business or had the courtesy to just whisper about things to friends behind others' backs. :rolleyes:

STA
Jun. 3, 2010, 01:12 PM

Duh Madeline, where does it read in my post that the horse pulled a shoe? The horse had stepped on a front shoe and jerked his front hoof lose. At first he seemed fine, but when he jogged into the ring there was a problem. No, I don't think the rider-trainer-or owner should be outed. I have no idea what you would out them for anyway.
Have you ever traveled for a distance and been stiff when you leave the car?

mvp
Jun. 3, 2010, 01:23 PM
Let's see- maybe 50 or so people who were actually there at that show during that class, versus millions on the internet.

There is such a thing as tact. And discretion.

Again, how would you like it if it were your horse?

If I had a horse pulled from the jog at Devon, my disappointment would depend on 1) How right or wrong I thought the judge was, 2) How worried I was about the horse's actual, long-term soundness. If and when anyone else knows about my lame horse isn't something that's legitimate, or ought to be. The day we decide to all collectively hide lame horses at big shows, I think we are in trouble.

I also consider Devon a veritable fishbowl. And everyone showing there knows that. In fact that's one reason they go.

If my horse stepped on a rock and looked bad at Devon for one day with all of cyberspace watching, I honestly wouldn't care. I'd have plenty of opportunity to correct whatever damage everyone things that would do to my horse's reputation or mine.

By the same token, I can't imagine anyone would plan to try to slip a horse with known lameness problem past judges at Devon. So I assume this wasn't a malicious plan or a terribly interesting event.