PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/Best "Schooling" Quality Bridle?

pattnic
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
On the search for a not-super expensive (about $150-ish, give or take) "schooling" quality bridle that I would not be ashamed to take into the show ring, if need be. The Beval Stamford is just not going to stand up to the hard use (uhhh... swimming?) to which I've been subjecting it recently (stitching coming loose, keepers stretching out, etc), even with good care.

The SmartPak bridles are definitely on the list, but I wanted to get some other ideas, as well.

Thanks!

sar2008
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:31 AM
I have a Treadstone bridle I use for schooling. I needed one quickly (mice had chewed through some pieces of my good Jimmy's custom one....) and sent my mom up to pick one up to use in the meantime. I have to say, for the price ($100) I was pleasantly surprised. It's a decent bridle, stands up to being used quite often, and is nice enough to go into the show ring if need be. I take care of my tack though....it all gets cleaned after each use....so I am sure this may have something to do with it. If you do the same, I am sure it would last and work for you as well!

Lucassb
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:20 AM
If you are patient and scour ebay, the classifieds etc I am pretty sure you could come up with an excellent quality used bridle in that price range. I've seen Edgewoods and similar bridles sold for around that, in good condition.

*Battle Worthy*
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm actually pretty impressed with my Ovation bridle for the price. I got a figure eight I on sale for about $80 to use as a schooling bridle. It is very soft and supple and I would not be ashamed to show in it some. Obviously not as beautiful as the really expensive bridles, but for under $100, I am pleased and would recommend it.

islndgirl
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
I have an HDR figure 8 that I use every day. It has held up really well... aside from a little deterioration of the sheepskin on the nose piece... but considering sweat in the summer its to be expected. Its soft and looks nice on as well. I think it was around $100.

Trixie
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:15 PM
I have a treadstone that is surprisingly gorgeous.

I wouldn't expect most leather to want to hold up to consistent swimming, though. When we took our horses to the beach (http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1740/11044173/20698253/337610841.jpg)a few years ago, I put a Tack-A-Tack bridle on him - the sort of biothane bridle that you can clean in a bucket of water. It held up pretty nicely for that sort of thing and was very easy to deal with.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:31 PM
I have an ovation with a padded "comfort" crown... it's an edgewood knockoff. It needed darkening oil to be dark and not orange, but it's tough, and has stood up thus far to use on a horse that sweats like crazy in Houston.

I hose the whole thing off when I'm done and it's handling that.

Ozone
Jun. 1, 2010, 02:36 PM
I happen to love Bobby's bridles for schoolin! Hold up great!

FSU Girl
Jun. 1, 2010, 04:04 PM
The Dover Suffolk's are surprisingly nice for their price, especially the fancy stitched one.

Zipsmom
Jun. 1, 2010, 04:31 PM
I love my Bobby's bridle also

doublesstable
Jun. 1, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have a Stubben and it's really beautiful. Nice leather and has held up very well. I do show in it too....

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsepictures2010518.jpg

The brow band and flash are not a part of the bridle.....

LShipley
Jun. 2, 2010, 10:18 AM
I don't own a nunn finer bridle, but I would certainly consider taking a look at these based on the awesome inexpensive stirrup leathers from them that I own. I paid $50 for the leathers - they are lined, have oiled up beautifully and have just barely stretched in the 9 months I have owned them. If the bridles are as nice as these leathers, they would definitely be worth the money.

huntereq7
Jun. 2, 2010, 10:47 AM
I've heard really great things about the Smartpak bridles- probably going to get one for myself soon! I've had a Crosby bridle for probably four years now- I haven't been particularly "nice" to it and it's held up really well and is a nice dark color- I use it on all the random rides that don't have a bridle, etc. I think it was around $200 maybe? But I'd definitely check ebay! I'm so particular about leather quality, but can't justify spending $600+ on a schooling bridle when my horse eats the reins lol. I got a gorgeous raised/fancy stitched Edgewood bridle/martingale for around $200 and it was barely used. There is currently a padded/raised/fancy stitched Hadfields figure eight for $215 and I'm very very tempted! Premier tack outlet carries nice bridles too.

skrgirl
Jun. 2, 2010, 12:18 PM
If your going to be getting it grimy (swimming etc) on a regular basis, I would buy a cheap ($30) bridle for at home and a nicer ($150) for showing.

goodmorning
Jun. 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
I second the ebay notion, but I also really like the Dover Circuit Bridle I picked up. I have the unpadded square raised version and it's quite nice. I did swap out the reins to my ADT ones, but the bridle looks great and holds up quite nicely. I'm not a fan of the padded version for whatever reason, too mcuh leather IMO, and it oiled up just lovely.

RyGirl
Jun. 2, 2010, 10:54 PM
I got a Collegiate bridle free for winning an intercollegiate class back in my college riding days, and it has held up surprisingly well as a schooling bridle. I did & still do condition it pretty regularly, and clean it after every use, so I can't speak to whether or not it would hold up to someone who didn't do that... No idea about the swimming either.

War Admiral
Jun. 2, 2010, 11:02 PM
The Dover Suffolk's are surprisingly nice for their price, especially the fancy stitched one.

I agree. And if you condition them properly, well, *whisper it* but....

I'm starting to like mine more than I like my Vespucci.

With the exception of the reins; I'd for sure swap those out for something higher quality.

BTW, pattnic, I watched y'all online at the Dixie Cup, you looked great! :yes:

Nilla Wafer
Jun. 3, 2010, 12:19 AM
i have a smartpak bridle that is really nice and holding up well. :)

pattnic
Jun. 3, 2010, 08:16 AM
BTW, pattnic, I watched y'all online at the Dixie Cup, you looked great! :yes:

Thanks! :)

spacytracy
Jun. 3, 2010, 09:27 PM
I have the suffolk flash bridle and honestly its not too shabby!
Its not great leather but it has held up really well and looks pretty good from afar.

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2010, 09:35 PM
I have an HDR that has held up really well. Cleans up super nice. I recommend Bobby's over HDR though. Just a little more, but better quality. I use Bobby's reins on my HDR because my HDR's flash, and I love them. I also use my friends padded Bobby's bridle on a pony I ride and ug. I love that thing!!! I would hate to see it get used for swimming though. I think its too nice for that.

Across Sicily
Jun. 4, 2010, 12:38 AM
I just ordered a Smartpak bridle and am anxiously awaiting its arrival... if they can REALLY stand up to the Edgewoods, etc. then I may never buy anything else.

The Amigo bridle by Horseware is nice and seems pretty tough. No loose stitching on mine. Still looks brand new even though it's... not. I am impressed.