View Full Version : Same Rider/Same Show-Jods on a Pony, Tall Boots on a Horse

Jun. 1, 2010, 10:19 AM
Looking at the pictures from the Devon Junior weekend I noticed that Victoria Colvin has jods on when riding her large ponies but tall boots for her junior hunter. Is this typical? What would be the purpose? Do the judges prefer to see pony riders in jods, even on the larges?

make x it x so
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:38 AM
A lot of the big name pony riders do this to look "younger" on the pony. Not going to comment whether it's right or wrong, no need for a trainwreck.

So to answer your question- I wouldn't say everyone does it, but it's not like no one does it, either.

Jun. 1, 2010, 11:09 AM
I definitely have no intention of starting a trainwreck but just found it a bit strange. Back in my day nearly all the large pony riders were in tall boots and no one thought they looked too old. Usually if you were big enough for a large you were ready (and anxious) to move out of jods.

I had many friends who rode their large ponies until they aged out and as long as they fit the pony well, no one seemed to have a problem with it, and it was a good solution for the smaller rider who could not afford a junior hunter. Of course back then we did not have age restrictions on riding smalls and mediums either.

Jun. 1, 2010, 11:26 AM
Yes I see it regularly. Yes it seems silly. I can't imagine it makes any difference. Some will ride small and mediums in jods and tall boots on large ponies. Some will ride in jods on Saturday & tall boots on Sunday.

Jun. 1, 2010, 11:32 AM
Back in the day...you also probably didn't have kids on a top quality division Pony or two, a Junior Hunter and various Eq and Medal classes at the same show either.

Think it might look a little silly to show that Junior Hunter in jods and it certainly would raise eyebrows in the Maclay. But it can look pretentious to wear the tall boots in the Ponies when so many younger kids will still be in the jods, especially Mediums and Smalls-and we get threads every year bemoaning tall boots on smaller Ponies around Pony Finals time.

If they got both types of boots and plenty of time to change? Who cares?

Jun. 1, 2010, 04:54 PM
i think it's really silly. nothing personal, but colvin is certainly tall enough for the boots, and she just looks way too leggy with the jods on. i guess i understand the psychology behind it, but it's strange to me. a good majority of riders in the larges are old enough and tall enough for boots, so basically almost everyone wears tall boots. *shrug* to each his own, but it looks silly to me, and a waste of money. plus that would annoy me, if i had to go back and forth from the changing room with jods and breeches

Jun. 1, 2010, 04:56 PM
It makes sense to me if the kid is also showing a medium or small. In those divisions, I think the jods are more common, and make a better picture. If the kid wears tall boots on horses and jods on the mediums, personally- what was worn on the large would be a function of what class it was scheduled near more than anything else. I think the larges can really go either way without a problem.

Jun. 1, 2010, 08:58 PM
Uhhh...it seemed to work for her though, didnt it? ;)

back in MY day, you wore jods UNTIL you were on a horse. Jods were regularly worn on the larges, but this was back in the 70's.